Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCU to LibertyU
Anyone familiar with how well California Coast university courses transfer over to liberty? I'm thinking of doing the ms in psychology and transferring over the credits to the MA in counseling. Is liberty pretty generous when it comes to pre-approved outside credit? Also, the downside with california coastal is they don't allow non-degree seeking students. You can only sign up for the whole program, if I go 10 courses in their ms in psychology and then withdraw are they gonna be stinky about not giving me those 10 courses of credit? Anyone have any experience or insight?
Hi RoyalSpade - I forget, what as your undergrad in? Just wondering, how much energy, money, time do you want to spend on your MS Psychology? You may want to get a Walden MS Psychology instead, as Cal Coast is Nationally Accredited, even though Liberty allows NA transfers. Furthermore, the cost/ease/speed to finish at Walden provides much more ROI/Value! Search the Graduate area of the forum, there have been a few recent success stories of people who have finished in just two terms or less (6 months or less)!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-16-2021, 11:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi RoyalSpade - I forget, what as your undergrad in?  Just wondering, how much energy, money, time do you want to spend on your MS Psychology?  You may want to get a Walden MS Psychology instead, as Cal Coast is Nationally Accredited, even though Liberty allows NA transfers.  Furthermore, the cost/ease/speed to finish at Walden provides much more ROI/Value!  Search the Graduate area of the forum, there have been a few recent success stories of people who have finished in just two terms or less (6 months or less)!

Hello Thanks for the repsonse, my Undergrad is in Liberal Arts. I'm not closed off to the idea of Walden but I'm thinking if Liberty does accept transfer credits from CCU then that would probably be my cheapest route. I do well with self paced courses in the format that CCU provides. I just worry about Liberty not accepting them, but from the sound of it they can be generous when it comes to transfer credits and courses to fulfill requirements. I'm also worried about CCU being stinky by not allowing me to end at 10 courses and take my transfer credit. I've talked briefly with admission staff there and they're not open to Non-Degree seeking students, they only want people are going to finish the programs. I only need 10 courses from their MS in Psych not the full 13, so not sure if I can just withdraw once I get to that point but are they gonna let me access those transcripts. I imagine so but haha I'm OCD in that sense.
I'd be surprised if Liberty didn't accept them.

I imagine that as long as your bill is paid up-to-date, CCU will give you your transcripts. But I would consider doing less than 10 courses because I doubt Liberty will take more than 9 credits, I could be wrong but I base it on the fact that most schools only accept 6-9 when it comes to grad programs. CCU itself only accepts up to 6.
Not trying to persuade you in any manner; however, I had a great experience at Walden University.
I finished the M.S. in Psychology in 7 months/10 days (started at 0 credits/48 hrs.).
Out of the 10 courses, I only had one terrible professor. Supposedly, you can transfer up to 50% of credits
for the M.S. in Psychology program, which used to be 15 hrs. of transfer credit when I started. My degree was
right under $3,500. Either way, good luck with any program you choose. Bonus: an actual GPA and no graduation
fee (it's worked into the tuition).

Edit: I left one thing out. Walden University is HLC/RA, not DEAC (NA).
Big difference.
MS in Psychology - Walden University (4.0 GPA)
MicroMasters® in Business Administration and Management (GradCert) - Tecnologico de Monterrey (also known as Monterrey Institute of Technology)
B.S.L.A. (Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts)/depths in psychology and sociology - Excelsior College (123 hrs.)
A.A.S. in Maintenance Production Management - Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) 
A.A. in Computer Information Systems (CIS) - Arkansas State University-Newport
A.A. in Liberal Arts - Arkansas State University-Newport

edX (MOOCs):

Omens, Oracles, and Prophecies - HarvardX (93%)
Virus 101x - Tel Aviv University (TAU) (87%)

Coursera (MOOCs):

The Johns Hopkins University (93.50%)
COVID-19 Contact Tracing 

(02-16-2021, 10:23 PM)RoyalSpade Wrote: Anyone familiar with how well California Coast university courses transfer over to liberty? I'm thinking of doing the ms in psychology and transferring over the credits to the MA in counseling. Is liberty pretty generous when it comes to pre-approved outside credit? Also, the downside with california coastal is they don't allow non-degree seeking students. You can only sign up for the whole program, if I go 10 courses in their ms in psychology and then withdraw are they gonna be stinky about not giving me those 10 courses of credit? Anyone have any experience or insight?

Here is a link to Liberty's Transfer Credit Calculator - https://www.liberty.edu/academics/index.cfm?PID=37347

They have accepted California Coast University credits previously. I copied and pasted just a couple of them below but there are more.

PSY501
PSY501 (Developmental Psychology)
Transfers as
COUN502  3 Hours

Add Course

PSY509
PSY509 (Thrs of Marriage & Family)
Transfers as
COUN601  3 Hours
I think Liberty will take credits up to 50% of a master's degree. But easy enough to just apply and see what happens.

Also, I don't think a school can "withhold" credits on your transcript because you didn't finish. If you don't owe any money, and you've completed courses, they HAVE to give you a transcript.

BTW - MANY (most) people don't complete a degree. That's not unusual.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-17-2021, 01:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Also, I don't think a school can "withhold" credits on your transcript because you didn't finish.  If you don't owe any money, and you've completed courses, they HAVE to give you a transcript.

BTW - MANY (most) people don't complete a degree.  That's not unusual.

Just like many other schools, they will withhold if you're not paid up-to-date. And common to DEAC programs, you won't be able to graduate until your entire tuition is paid in full.

(02-17-2021, 08:08 AM)yrot21 Wrote: Edit: I left one thing out.  Walden University is HLC/RA, not DEAC (NA).
Big difference.

Walden is also for-profit (I have no problem with that) just like California Coast, and given that an MS in Psychology is unlikely to qualify one for licensing in any state, I doubt there is a major disparity in traction between the two programs until it comes to applying for Doctoral programs, but even then neither school is likely to get you into a top or even mid-tier competitive Doctoral program on their names alone like some more noted programs would.

If the OP really wants to ultimately graduate from Liberty, the CCU to Liberty idea may not be a bad one from a cost-savings standpoint but since only a few classes will transfer it won't be a big savings and it might just be better to go straight to Liberty. The OP could also do the same thing by going from Walden to Liberty and probably come out way cheaper, but the transfer amounts are still going to be the same regardless.

Finally, if just getting the MS in Psych is the goal and it doesn't matter where from, then the OP would be better off just going to Walden and skipping the other two places, because it will likely be the cheapest route depending on how quickly they can finish the Tempo program.
I've asked liberty about it, haven't gotten a straight answer but can one apply and be enrolled in a graduate program and be pre-approved to go take transfer credits on another platform? Kind of like how excelsior does with their Undergrad? Or do all graduate transfer credits need to be done and examined before someone enrolls? Cause if so, I'd probably just enroll at Liberty and potentially get approved to take some of my courses from a different platform. That way I could know how well they transfer before hand
(02-17-2021, 04:38 PM)RoyalSpade Wrote: I've asked liberty about it, haven't gotten a straight answer but can one apply and be enrolled in a graduate program and be pre-approved to go take transfer credits on another platform? Kind of like how excelsior does with their Undergrad? Or do all graduate transfer credits need to be done and examined before someone enrolls? Cause if so, I'd probably just enroll at Liberty and potentially get approved to take some of my courses from a different platform. That way I could know how well they transfer before hand

These are school-specific questions, each school has different policies. Someone at Liberty knows, you just have to ask until you find the right person, or see if you can get ahold of their student handbook or policy list and it'll likely be in there. Many schools set a time limit on the transfer period and past that point you can't transfer anything else in.