Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test center question
Greetings,

I have a quick question about a test center I would like to sign up for to begin my testing. I looked at the test center data base and found a center at a technical institute only a couple miles from where I live that says OPEN, as I was looking through the policy section I noticed only a few tests where being shown, when I emailed to ask about the tests they sent me what I am sure is an automated email just giving me test dates and times, so I turn to you veteran takers with my elementary question, are the tests being shown the only tests they will allow to be taken at the center, or can I take any subject I want? Are those the only tests that the institution will accept? because I would hate to drive 50 miles at a time to head up to the state college to take the tests. Thanks for the input and I apologize for the question.

Edit: they allow DSST and Clep tests to be taken there
Since the majority of the tests are computer based and just go through a secure portal it seems as if they offer one test it wouldn't be any more cumbersome to offer all exams. Maybe if they didn't have a space set a side for tests like the public speaking DSST that requires you to be in a quiet room with a tape recorder, I could see it not being offered.

^This is just personal opinion, someone else may have dealt with this exact situation before.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Scryer Wrote:Greetings,

I have a quick question about a test center I would like to sign up for to begin my testing. I looked at the test center data base and found a center at a technical institute only a couple miles from where I live that says OPEN, as I was looking through the policy section I noticed only a few tests where being shown, when I emailed to ask about the tests they sent me what I am sure is an automated email just giving me test dates and times, so I turn to you veteran takers with my elementary question, are the tests being shown the only tests they will allow to be taken at the center, or can I take any subject I want? Are those the only tests that the institution will accept? because I would hate to drive 50 miles at a time to head up to the state college to take the tests. Thanks for the input and I apologize for the question.

What you're seeing on the College Board site is an unofficial listing- it could be old (back when paper tests were used) or it could be a list of exams that they accept from students (which doesn't matter to you since you're not a student there- only a test taker), or any number of things. Nonetheless, since it's on computer and they are offering that brand, you can take any of the exams there. Just register through the College Board's website and you'll be good to go!
PS It's still a good idea to touch base with the testing center staff. You'll want to get times and schedule availability, as well as find out the fee ($20ish is normal) and where you should park, etc.
Scryer Wrote:Greetings,

Hi...I had to take my CLEPs, DSSTs and UExcels at three different locations. My best piece of advice (as Jennifer mentioned) is to call the test center you're planning on using and set up an appointment beforehand. I found numerous test sites in my area, but when I called to confirm, they were no longer administering exams.

My biggest problem was finding a DSST testing location - no local college, stand alone test center, tech institute, etc. administered any type of DSST. I begged and pleaded with both my local CC and UExcel test centers to consider reinstating their DSST testing status... it was very enlightening - as soon as I mentioned "DSST" I received a collective "freak out":willynilly:...The test centers in my area had very negative experiences regarding Prometric/DSST and wanted absolutely nothing to do with either the company or its exams.

I ended up taking a horrendous 90 mile journey to an out-of-county university "city" to take my DSSTs...Horrible:ack:, but worth it...:hurray:

Good Luck!
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
SuZQ2 Wrote:as soon as I mentioned "DSST" I received a collective "freak out":willynilly:...The test centers in my area had very negative experiences regarding Prometric/DSST and wanted absolutely nothing to do with either the company or its exams.
!

Wow! I wonder what happened??
Confirm the proctoring fee before signing up for that test center. I found the university in my area wanted $125 (yes, really!) to proctor, but the private proctoring office was only $25. While the university was convenient (2 miles), I saved the money and drove the 25 miles to the private office.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

cookderosa Wrote:Wow! I wonder what happened??

One test center was all on board until they checked out the DSST website I provided - once they saw "Prometric" it was, "NO, NO, NO, NOOOOO!!!" I spoke with 3 test centers in total and all were adamant - the Prometric system is horrible - no support, bad proprietary software for the test centers, lots of hands-on work with logging testers in with passwords etc.

That being said, the University where I eventually took my DSSTs didn't seem particularly "unglued" by the Prometric system. However, for my second test I did forget part of my log-in password:willynilly:, thus necessitating numerous back-and-forth log-in attempts between me and the proctor, resetting my password, etc., so in that respect I can see their point - it was a colossal pain in the neck.

In my opinion, UExcel has the best set-up. You pay in advance and the proctor does all the set-up work - you just sit down and take your exam.
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
The test center I worked at (yes, I have now moved on to a new job in a new state!) administered the DSST exams for all 4 years I was there. No major problems whatsoever. Yes, we did have to go through a lockdown shell for a while, but that was just an extra step. Anyone who complains about the whole log-in (username and password process) is recognizing that the candidates need to have a better process for recalling what they set. As discussed on here under a different thread, some test centers sound like they have made this worse for themselves by requiring DSST candidates to register/set up their account the first time at the test center. This is totally unnecessary and I still can't figure out why this remains a problem.

I would also recommend calling and speaking with a person at this test center. You have seen that this test center is listed as "open", but this listing is only on the CLEP site, right? Last I knew, the DSST site still did not have an indicator on their test center listing as to whether a test center was open, limited, etc. Always call. Always confirm that the place you hope to take your test will actually be able to deliver it. Always confirm their hours of operation, proctor fees, process for making an appointment, if there are any limits to the number of exams you can take in one day, etc.
GoodYellowDogs Wrote:Confirm the proctoring fee before signing up for that test center. I found the university in my area wanted $125 (yes, really!) to proctor, but the private proctoring office was only $25. While the university was convenient (2 miles), I saved the money and drove the 25 miles to the private office.

Excuse my French, but OH HELL NO!
I apologize for not replying for almost a month been trying to get the test stuff figured out and with work as well
Thank you all for the advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 150 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,035 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,426 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,228 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 932 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha