Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP/DSST transfer equivalence to Excelsior Bachelor requirements?
Hello, I took a pause on my studies and am recently back to looking at the big 3, and since terms have changed with COSC and TESU, I'm now also considering Excelsior College, but I'm having trouble finding information as to what CLEP/DSST tests equate to what credit at Excelsior, can anyone point me in the right direction? 

I'm aiming for either the BPS in Business or BS in Business Degree. Thank you!

I've completed: 12 DSSTs and 9 CLEPs in 2018
  • CLEP College Composition 

• CLEP Introductory Sociology 

• CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 

• CLEP Introduction to Educational Psychology 

• CLEP Introductory of Psychology 

• CLEP Principles of Management 

• CLEP Information Systems 

• CLEP Principles of Marketing 

• CLEP Human Growth and Development 
  • DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 

• DSST Ethics in Technology 

• DSST Substance Abuse 

• DSST Introduction to Business 

• DSST Principles of Supervision 

• DSST Principles of Public Speaking 

• DSST Intro to World Religions 

• DSST Business Ethics and Society 

• DSST Human Resource Management 

• DSST Management Information Systems 

• DSST Organizational behavior 

• DSST Health and Human Development 

Aiming for TESU BSBA-GM, ASNSM in Biology, ASNSM in Computer Science
once upon a time they had a nice little pdf booklet on exam stuff. It was called Using Exams to Complete Your Excelsior Degree. I can't find that on website anymore. frustrating. but it was complete with clep, dsst, tecep and uxcel. I kept a copy of it, but cannot say for certain if the information is still current. It was published in 2013 and I downloaded it in 2018 or 2019. I'm mentioning that in hopes that someone has something more current or can find the current version...

(ps: generally speaking, EC accepts all of them at the level and credit hours that ACE says they are. but that doesn't verify how the course is applied on degree which is what I can't answer and you want to know. hopefully one of the experts will know that info that use to be on their website to be found easily)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Unlike COSC and TESU, there is really no way to tell what a given course/exam will transfer into at Excelsior unless you happen to talk to someone who got that same degree and used that same exam/class in said degree. Per what other members have said on this forum, they also won't help you plan at all unless you've taken at least one EC course already.

Your best bet would be to apply to EC, send in your test info, and see what they put where for the degree that you're wanting.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ISKBizz15
I agree with rachel83az, pay the $50 to apply and see where everything comes in. That is your very best bet - you can then plan how to get the rest of your credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ISKBizz15
Actually, on second thought, instead of paying $50 immediately to EC, I would recommend spending $79 on a month of Sophia first. There are a number of courses that EC will accept, especially for a business degree. I would especially recommend Business law and Project Management but really do whatever doesn't cover something that you've already taken a CLEP/DSST for: https://excelsior.sophia.org/#courses

Why would you do this? If you complete 2 or more Sophia classes, you get your application fee waived at EC. If you take 12 or more EC credits (and there's a good chance that you'll need to even though they technically only require 7), you also qualify for reduced tuition and other fees. https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/sophia/

Even if you only finish 4 Sophia classes in a month, that's like getting credits for less than $2.50 each! $79 Sophia - $50 EC application fee = $29 / 12 credits = $2.42 per credit.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-31-2020, 08:59 AM)P226mem Wrote: once upon a time they had a nice little pdf booklet on exam stuff.  It was called Using Exams to Complete Your Excelsior Degree.  I can't find that on website anymore.  frustrating.   but it was complete with clep, dsst, tecep and uxcel.  I kept a copy of it, but cannot say for certain if the information is still  current. It was published in 2013 and I downloaded it in 2018 or 2019.  I'm mentioning that in hopes that someone has something more current or can find the current version...

(ps: generally speaking, EC accepts all of them at the level and credit hours that ACE says they are. but that doesn't verify how the course is applied on degree which is what I can't answer and you want to know. hopefully one of the experts will know that info that use to be on their website to be found easily)

I too have this booklet saved, and 2013 was the last time they published it.  Not sure why they stopped, it's annoying.  But at least it's a start.

Here's what EC said in 2013 for your exams, and what I think they will do:

CLEP  
  • [b]College Comp WILL NOT TAKE - STILL WILL NOT TAKE[/b]
  • A&I Literature 6cr LL Humanities - 3cr (changed in 2015)
  • Intro to Soc 3cr LL, SocSci/History - SAME 
  • Intro to Psych 3cr LL, SocSci/History - SAME
  • Intro to Educational Psych 3cr LL, SocSci/History - SAME
  • Prin of Mgmt 3cr LL, Applied Professional - SAME
  • Prin of Marketing 3cr LL, Applied Professional - SAME
  • Info Systems 3cr LL, Applied Professional - SAME
DSST
  • Ethics in Technology NEW - 3cr LL Humanities
  • Prin of Public Speaking 3cr LL, Humanities - SAME
  • Intro to World Religions 3cr UL, Humanities - SAME
  • Business Ethics & Society 3cr UL, Humanities LL (changed in 2017)
  • Human Growth and Dev 3cr LL, SocSci/History - SAME
  • Fund of Counseling 3cr LL, SocSci/History - SAME
  • Org Behavior 3cr LL, SocSci/History - SAME
  • Intro to Business 3cr LL, Applied Professional - SAME
  • Prin of Supervision 3cr LL, Applied Professional - SAME
  • HR Mgmt 3cr LL, Applied Professional - SAME
  • Mgmt Info Systems 3cr UL, Applied Professional - LL (changed in 2012)
  • Health & Human Dev 3cr UL, Applied Professional - LL (changed in 2013)
  • Substance Abuse 3cr UL, Applied Professional - SAME (changed to LL in 2019, after you took it)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-31-2020, 06:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Actually, on second thought, instead of paying $50 immediately to EC, I would recommend spending $79 on a month of Sophia first. There are a number of courses that EC will accept, especially for a business degree. I would especially recommend Business law and Project Management but really do whatever doesn't cover something that you've already taken a CLEP/DSST for: https://excelsior.sophia.org/#courses

Why would you do this? If you complete 2 or more Sophia classes, you get your application fee waived at EC. If you take 12 or more EC credits (and there's a good chance that you'll need to even though they technically only require 7), you also qualify for reduced tuition and other fees. https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/sophia/

Even if you only finish 4 Sophia classes in a month, that's like getting credits for less than $2.50 each! $79 Sophia - $50 EC application fee = $29 / 12 credits = $2.42 per credit.

Sophia also has Principles of Finance now. That course was required at EC for the business degree I was interested in earlier in the year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ISKBizz15
(11-01-2020, 03:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia also has Principles of Finance now. That course was required at EC for the business degree I was interested in earlier in the year.

Principles of Finance isn't on the EC Sophia page while Business Law is. Since they both arrived at the same time, it makes me doubt whether EC actually accepts Principles of Finance from them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(11-01-2020, 03:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 03:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia also has Principles of Finance now. That course was required at EC for the business degree I was interested in earlier in the year.

Principles of Finance isn't on the EC Sophia page while Business Law is. Since they both arrived at the same time, it makes me doubt whether EC actually accepts Principles of Finance from them.

I don't put much faith into that page. EC is not the easiest place to transfer credit into. That's for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
I've taken CLEP Psychology which came in as LL Social Science.

CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Lit came in as LL Humnaities. I didn't submit the essay and was awarded 3 credits instead of 6.

Excelsior does not accept CLEP College Composition. They don't accept DSST English Comp exams either.
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

[-] The following 2 users Like Michelle779's post:
  • ISKBizz15, P226mem

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 288 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 2 298 01-17-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  UMPI Degree Planning Advice - Course Requirements VaderM4 22 1,531 01-09-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: VaderM4
  Help, degree plan for Excelsior BS in IT LuisaKönig 5 477 01-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 884 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Teaching, English Education M.A. <- Need a plan to meet eligibility requirements menikmati 5 340 11-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Getting to a one year bachelors degree without CLEP Bosnian_Slovenian 23 1,412 11-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Bosnian_Slovenian
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,212 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 484 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 614 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali