Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP/DSST transfer equivalence to Excelsior Bachelor requirements?
Let's say that you send them all in immediately, seemingly simultaneously. GED and SDC arrive first so TESU evaluates them. That's one.

DSST is delayed and arrives the next week. That's two.

CLEP arrives last, just after the DSST evaluation is completed. That's three and is not evaluated.

Since IELTS is a prerequisite to entrance, I'm not sure that it counts as an actual evaluation, per se, but the others definitely do. Per comments in another thread, you can apparently ask them to postpone evaluation until all of your transcripts are in. However, I would also be prepared for them to evaluate them as the transcripts roll in because TESU doesn't seem to have great inter-org communication - especially at this time.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-07-2020, 06:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Let's say that you send them all in immediately, seemingly simultaneously. GED and SDC arrive first so TESU evaluates them. That's one.

CLEP arrives last, just after the DSST evaluation is completed. That's three and is not evaluated.

Since IELTS is a prerequisite to entrance, I'm not sure that it counts as an actual evaluation, per se, but the others definitely do. Per comments in another thread, you can apparently ask them to postpone evaluation until all of your transcripts are in. However, I would also be prepared for them to evaluate them as the transcripts roll in because TESU doesn't seem to have great inter-org communication - especially at this time.

Oof that's rough. I was hoping I could lock into their catalog and work on my transfer credits first... How does the TECEP method work- do I just pay online or have to request it with them? I'm an international student so I'm not sure I could take a TECEP exam even if I wanted to, would that be an issue of me being able to pay for it, since I won't or can't take it? This seems like a strange grey area, do they have a policy on this?

Aiming for TESU BSBA-GM, ASNSM in Biology, ASNSM in Computer Science
(11-07-2020, 06:28 AM)elenlushk Wrote: Oof that's rough. I was hoping I could lock into their catalog and work on my transfer credits first... How does the TECEP method work- do I just pay online or have to request it with them? I'm an international student so I'm not sure I could take a TECEP exam even if I wanted to, would that be an issue of me being able to pay for it, since I won't or can't take it? This seems like a strange grey area, do they have a policy on this?

Once your application is accepted, you would log onto Online Student Services (OSS). Click on the link that says "Search, Register, or Drop Courses". Choose the "Search, register and pay for courses" option again.  Term, you'd select whatever term is next. Subject: Applied Science and Technology. The first entry should be Medical Terminology with the instruction method of TECEP Examination. You select that box, submit, and then go through the payment process. 

Everything is entirely online, no need to directly request anything from TESU. It is a bit of a grey area, yes. There is no direct policy on it except that you need to either take a course or a TECEP to be an enrolled student. It just so happens that there's a loophole where you don't actually have to sit for the TECEP exam for their system to count you as having taken it. 

The TECEPs are entirely online, these days, so you can take them even if you are international. They use ProctorU which is, really, not the best. But it's still not a bad way to get some of these credits: https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(11-07-2020, 07:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 06:28 AM)elenlushk Wrote: Oof that's rough. I was hoping I could lock into their catalog and work on my transfer credits first... How does the TECEP method work- do I just pay online or have to request it with them? I'm an international student so I'm not sure I could take a TECEP exam even if I wanted to, would that be an issue of me being able to pay for it, since I won't or can't take it? This seems like a strange grey area, do they have a policy on this?

Once your application is accepted, you would log onto Online Student Services (OSS). Click on the link that says "Search, Register, or Drop Courses". Choose the "Search, register and pay for courses" option again.  Term, you'd select whatever term is next. Subject: Applied Science and Technology. The first entry should be Medical Terminology with the instruction method of TECEP Examination. You select that box, submit, and then go through the payment process. 

Everything is entirely online, no need to directly request anything from TESU. It is a bit of a grey area, yes. There is no direct policy on it except that you need to either take a course or a TECEP to be an enrolled student. It just so happens that there's a loophole where you don't actually have to sit for the TECEP exam for their system to count you as having taken it. 

The TECEPs are entirely online, these days, so you can take them even if you are international. They use ProctorU which is, really, not the best. But it's still not a bad way to get some of these credits: https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php

Thank you for your explanation! Would you suggest that I first enroll in a TECEP then as soon as my application is accepted since I want to work on my transfer credits and still have to send transcripts from multiple places?

What grades show up on TESU transcripts for transferred credits? Will my final grade only be from the cornerstone and capstone if everything else is transferred? Do I need a high percentage from the cornerstone and capstone courses to pass?

I would definitely suggest taking a TECEP as soon as possible to fully enroll at TESU, yes. In addition to the transcript evaluations, you also gain access to a few academic sources that might be useful; especially for UL courses that you're going to be taking.

If everything but the cornerstone and capstone are transfer credits, your final grade at TESU will only include those two courses. I think you just need a C minimum to be able to graduate but I can't recall offhand.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(11-07-2020, 06:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Let's say that you send them all in immediately, seemingly simultaneously. GED and SDC arrive first so TESU evaluates them. That's one.

Minor caveat: if you apply and send in your transcripts, they normally hold them for a certain amount of time and wait to to the eval until they have everything you listed on your application.  So let's say there's a 10-day waiting period (which there seems to be currently) for your eval.  You list GED, Study.com, DSST & CLEP as transcripts that are coming, and make arrangements to send them all.  They will not do your first eval until they get all 4, even if it takes more than 10 days to receive everything.

NOW, it's not 100% - and I would make arrangements for CLEP & DSST before you even apply at TESU, since they take the longest (although I don't know about GED).  But, if you give it at least a week after requesting those (maybe 2 weeks), then your application should be processed before your transcripts arrive, but before your 10-day "eval window" closes.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
If it's a newer GED, I think it runs through the ACE system. Mine is from JUST before they introduced the "College Ready" credit system and would be a huge hassle to deal with so I never bothered to send it in.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(11-07-2020, 11:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

Minor caveat: if you apply and send in your transcripts, they normally hold them for a certain amount of time and wait to to the eval until they have everything you listed on your application.  So let's say there's a 10-day waiting period (which there seems to be currently) for your eval.  You list GED, Study.com, DSST & CLEP as transcripts that are coming, and make arrangements to send them all.  They will not do your first eval until they get all 4, even if it takes more than 10 days to receive everything.

NOW, it's not 100% - and I would make arrangements for CLEP & DSST before you even apply at TESU, since they take the longest (although I don't know about GED).  But, if you give it at least a week after requesting those (maybe 2 weeks), then your application should be processed before your transcripts arrive, but before your 10-day "eval window" closes.
 I got my GED in 2012 so it's the older system, it was issued by Maine and I have to check in with Diploma Sender.

Does TESU hold onto any transcripts they receive for a student prior to application? If so, how long?

I don't know about Maine but, in Arizona, the older system actually requires you to print out a form and send it in with a check or money order. You can request a digital personal copy for free and that copy has a verification code on it that a school/employer could theoretically use for verification purposes. If Maine has a similar system, I'd suggest trying to send them the personal copy first. I have not done this and I don't know if they'd even accept this. Pierpont accepted my GED in this format, which is why I suggest trying with TESU.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(11-07-2020, 12:04 PM)elenlushk Wrote: Does TESU hold onto any transcripts they receive for a student prior to application? If so, how long?

Generally, no.  So, let's say you send stuff and it gets to them and you haven't applied.  They discard it.  That's why I recommend making sure you put your credits on your app, so they know they're coming - AND that you try to time it to apply prior to anything getting there.  Like, ACE sends immediately, as do many schools if they're online transcript services.  So those you can't send until after application.

It was easier when they had a 25-day window for evals - it was a pain in the butt to wait that long, but generally everything came in within that timeframe and you didn't have to worry about it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 376 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 357 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  UMPI Degree Planning Advice - Course Requirements VaderM4 22 1,662 01-09-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: VaderM4
  Help, degree plan for Excelsior BS in IT LuisaKönig 5 495 01-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 910 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Teaching, English Education M.A. <- Need a plan to meet eligibility requirements menikmati 5 355 11-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Getting to a one year bachelors degree without CLEP Bosnian_Slovenian 23 1,431 11-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Bosnian_Slovenian
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,427 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 507 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1