Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Freshman Composition grading? TESC?
I scheduled the English Composition with Essay at my friendly local Air Force Base Education Office. On test day they handed me "Freshman Composition with Essay." I took the test anyway and I feel like I did great. When I asked about why I had the wrong test they said that English Composition with Essay does not exist so they assumed I was asking for Freshman Composition. I felt like they were wrong but didn't feel like arguing, they also said it's still worth six credits so I didn't mind.

On the CLEP website I just read that the College Board only grades the multiple choice portion of the Freshman Comp w/ essay and sends the essay portion to the school so that the school can grade it. My problem: I haven't enrolled in my chosen school yet.

So will the Essay portion simply not be graded? Will they send it to TESC once I enroll? Will TESC evaluate the essay and still give me the six credits?
I apologize for the tardy response! Hopefully, this response will help others out with the same question. Based on the scoring guide from CollegeBoard, your two essays (Freshman Comp w/ Essay) will be scored using a rubric provided by collegeboard.
Orimaru1 Wrote:
Yes, you'll see what you scored on the multiple choice portion of the test. The Essay is graded by your institution which (supposedly) will be using a scoring rubric designed by College Board to determine your final overall score. Your school has the final word on whether you get credit or not. I hope this information is useful.

**Update** Passed English Composition w/ Essay scored 54. I'm confident the essay portion dropped my points total. Nonetheless, this is a huge weight off my shoulder due to it being one of the last exams needed for my BA. Word of advice, do not wait to take this exam because the mail schedule is pretty long. Put it this way, the test was taken on the 9th of April and the results arrived on the 10th of May. Allow time for this one! Here's a scoring time-table that will help you gauge when to take your test for more predictability of the mailed results.

Materials Used: REA CLEP (General EXAM Book), Petersons Practice Tests, IC Flashcards, Official College Board Guides, and the Free Clep Prep Guide.
I did not focus my study on essay writing too heavily. I read through the forums (thank you SEARCH function) and discovered many people were using the 5 Paragraph Essay format. Also, I structured my thesis and conclusion like the hyperlink recommends. Cheers!
Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of the rubic before. Thomas Edison has told me that they have no interest in grading my essays. They basically said that as long as they see a report stating that I took the test, with essay, and passed that was good enough. They stuck to this story even when I said prometric refused to grade the essays. Prometric had no idea what to do when I told them what TESC said so they just sent my full test report, essays included, to Thomas Edison. TESC has confirmed receipt of the report and Im waiting on my offical evaluation. I guess we'll see what happens.

When I asked TESC advisors what would happen and if they would grade the essays after all I got the standard "wait four weeks for your evaluation" answer. I guess no one really knows!

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

Thanks for that information! Based on what I've read about TESC customer service, your response confirms my greatest fear regarding Freshman Composition w/ Essay. I apologize for resurrecting this thread, but I'm sure there were a couple questions out there regarding said topic. I'm starting to think taking English Comp w/ Essay was the better choice of the two for TESC as the process can get complicated. Please keep us posted on the status of that class, blu!
Ill post in this thread again when my evaluation comes back. TESC received my first transcript on the 3rd and the previously mentioned CLEP report from Prometric on the 11th. Hopefully that evaluation will be done soon!

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

blu2blu Wrote:Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of the rubic before. Thomas Edison has told me that they have no interest in grading my essays. They basically said that as long as they see a report stating that I took the test, with essay, and passed that was good enough. They stuck to this story even when I said prometric refused to grade the essays. Prometric had no idea what to do when I told them what TESC said so they just sent my full test report, essays included, to Thomas Edison. TESC has confirmed receipt of the report and Im waiting on my offical evaluation. I guess we'll see what happens.

When I asked TESC advisors what would happen and if they would grade the essays after all I got the standard "wait four weeks for your evaluation" answer. I guess no one really knows!

I took the Freshman comp and was told by the center that I had to come back to do the essay section..........my question now is, has anyone from TESC ever NOT done the essay section and received 6CR's.
Started 5/09
*** EXAMS PASSED***
[SIZE="1"]Hist I & II, American Gov, Intro to Comp, Prin of Markt, Intro to Bus,
Civil War and Recon, HTYH, A&I Lit, SS & His, Intro Soc, Subs Abuse,
Human G & D , Fund of Coun, Western Civ I, II, Freshman Comp, Vietnam War, Europe Since 1945, Ethics, Technical Writing, Intro to Modern Middle East[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

TESC:
FEMA: PD Series
ALEK :[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE="1"][I]
“I think therefore I am” Rene Descartes
"Grant me the strength to change the things I can; the serenity to accept the things I can’t... and the wisdom to know the difference".Smile Smile
[/SIZE]
[/B][/I]
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Navy"]For those who believe, no proof is necessary; for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. [I][I][I][I][SIZE="1"]Stuart Chase[/SIZE][/I][/I][/I][/I]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Since my original response post, I have read through the TESC catalog for answers about the same question. Unfortunately, if you took Freshman Composition without essay, you will NOT receive credit. On the other hand, if you took the version with essay and are still waiting for credits, CLEP will keep that essay on file for 90 Days. With all the legwork that's required for Freshman Composition @ TESC, it's best to consider English Composition w/ essay because there's much less hassle. Trust me, I was quite frustrated that Freshman Comp w/o Essay would work for my English Credits on route to my AAS, but meant nothing to TESC. :toetap:
jacanyardie Wrote:I took the Freshman comp and was told by the center that I had to come back to do the essay section..........my question now is, has anyone from TESC ever NOT done the essay section and received 6CR's.

i received six general ed credits..
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
Orimaru1 Wrote:Since my original response post, I have read through the TESC catalog for answers about the same question. Unfortunately, if you took Freshman Composition without essay, you will NOT receive credit. On the other hand, if you took the version with essay and are still waiting for credits, CLEP will keep that essay on file for 90 Days. With all the legwork that's required for Freshman Composition @ TESC, it's best to consider English Composition w/ essay because there's much less hassle. Trust me, I was quite frustrated that Freshman Comp w/o Essay would work for my English Credits on route to my AAS, but meant nothing to TESC. :toetap:

i received six general ed credits.. not english credits at thomas ed
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
Thanks for clearing that up, creationstory! I'm really relieved that they'll accept those credits even though from what I interpreted from the catalog they won't. hilarious Credits are credits and that's awesome news, man!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,880 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Free CLEP Score Send Question TheMaskedMutant 4 2,329 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant
  Principle of Marketing CLEP Lyle912 1 1,967 04-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CLEP/DSST Exams jchef15 1 3,295 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Study resources for clep preppyboy 4 2,784 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Comex systems CLEP NYCMIA777 1 1,500 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,450 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,135 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,317 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,986 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac