Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Info Systems and Comp Apps & DSST Intro To Computing Next Week -- New Member
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I'm 41. I'm an Office Administrator in a downtown LA law firm and a life-long musician. I started college right after high school and had two mostly unsuccessful semesters at two different community colleges in upstate NY before moving to Los Angeles. I graduated with honors from Musicians Institute in Hollywood which is not worth anything towards a traditional degree. I have about 29 credits from that effort, and, fortunately, took care of my Math and English requirements back then.

I'm going to take the CLEP Info Systems and Computer Apps and DSST Intro to Computers on Monday. I should be studying now but I received so much useful info from this forum that I thought I'd jump in so people could see what I was doing and chime in with any advice that might be helpful. To prepare for these tests, I've:
  • Taken the CLEP practice test
  • Studied the Long & Long Computers textbook
  • Taken the three Peterson practice tests
  • Studied InstantCert (of course!)

Based on the CLEP and InstantCert tests, I feel like I'm in good shape. Based on the last two Peterson tests--not so good. I'll be studying tomorrow when the Super Bowl isn't on and on Monday morning before the tests.

As a side note, I have a crazy plan to accumulate credits and I would like to know if anyone has tried anything like this.

My local community college allows credit by examination. Each professor is allowed to decide if he or she will allow you to attempt their final exam. The school requires you to be in good academic standing and enrolled in 6 units. I found a 5 unit accounting class and a 1 unit library research class that will count toward the 1 unit information literacy requirement at Excelsior (for only $20--and online!). There's my 6 units. I plan to go to the music department and ask to test out of Fundamentals of Music, Guitar I and II, Bass Guitar I and II, Society and Rock and Roll and anything else they might let me test out of. I don't know if they'll go along with this or if they have an incentive or disincentive to help me. If anyone has tried this or has any information re. the best way to approach I'd be most appreciative. Also, any words of wisdom re. my upcoming tests would be helpful as well.

I'm initially pursuing an AAS in Administrative/Management studies at Excelsior and plan to go on to obtain a Bachelors in General Business--but, one step at a time. First I have to get through these tests. Most of what I've read here has been encouraging, but I really have to study up on the software development cycle and information systems implementations, it appears.

I suppose that's long enough for now. Wish me luck!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
Welcome, Michael, and keep us posted on how your comm college plan works out. That could be an interesting alternative to CLEP exams for other people.....
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
So how about you share your library info class information with the rest of us who still have to do the info lit (and spend 250 doing it) who would much prefer a better and cheaper option? Wink
Johanna Wrote:So how about you share your library info class information with the rest of us who still have to do the info lit (and spend 250 doing it) who would much prefer a better and cheaper option? Wink

Sure. Actually, I'll start another thread so that it'll be easy for folks to find in the future.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,362 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,396 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 952 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 678 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  California Southern University is now a member of the AIU System PositiveSoul 5 1,948 12-28-2022, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Pappok
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,250 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem