Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Information Systems & SL IT Fundementals Equivalencies
Hi,

I'm going for a Bachelor's Degree Majoring in Math & Computer Science at TESU. I took the CLEP Information Systems and now I want to take SL's IT Fundamentals. Will these courses overlap or can I get credit for both?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
The CLEP comes in as COS-101, the SL course is CMP-202. Non-duplicative. But I'm not sure CMP-202 will be counted as computer science, you'll probably want to get that pre-approved before you take it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
CMP-202 is unlikely to count in the AOS for CS. Definitely get BOTH courses preapproved. You don't want to risk the CLEP getting reclassified from COS to something else down the road.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I was advised by TESU academic advising that Straighterline IT Fundamentals transfers in as CIS-107, and the course equivalencies list on SL's TESU page states the same.
ASBA -- TESU, Sept. 2016
--------------
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra | PreCalculus | Introduction to Statistics
Sophia: Macroeconomics
TEEX: Cyber Security for IT Professionals/Business Professionals/Everyone
Straighterline: Accounting I + II | Principles of Management | Business Ethics | Business Law | Organizational Behavior | Introduction to Communication | IT Fundamentals | Introduction to Sociology | American Government | Introduction to Religion
Okay great! Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't even think about it for my AOS. I'm still new to this whole process. Making a plan was so complicated for me that I figured I'd just start taking some courses before coming up with a specific course plan. You're now making me think it's time to work out the details. :ack:

The following is a list of courses that I've already completed.

[table="width: 700, class: outer_border"]
[tr]
[td]Requirement/Category
[/td]
[td]Source
[/td]
[td]Course
[/td]
[td]Credits
[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Quantitative Literacy[/td]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]Precalculus[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Information Literacy[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]Analyzing & Interpreting Literature[/td]
[td]6[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Civic Engagement[/td]
[td]SL[/td]
[td]American Government[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Knowledge of Human Cultures[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]Human Growth & Development[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Understanding Physical & Natural World[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]Info Systems & Computer Applications[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]SL[/td]
[td]Introduction to C++ Programming[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]General Education Electives[/td]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]Intro Stats for Behavioral Sciences[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]College Algebra with Trigonometry[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]Intermediate Algebra[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

This is my first thread so please excuse my ignorance of topic or terminology. I'll get it eventually ...I hope. Wink
Anon Wrote:The following is a list of courses that I've already completed.

[table="width: 700, class: outer_border"]
[tr]
[td]Requirement/Category
[/td]
[td]Source
[/td]
[td]Course
[/td]
[td]Credits
[/td]
[/tr]

[tr]
[td]Quantitative Literacy[/td]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]Precalculus[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Information Literacy[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]Analyzing & Interpreting Literature[/td]
[td]6[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Civic Engagement[/td]
[td]SL[/td]
[td]American Government[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Knowledge of Human Cultures[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]Human Growth & Development[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]Info Systems & Computer Applications[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]SL[/td]
[td]Introduction to C++ Programming[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]Intro Stats for Behavioral Sciences[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]College Algebra with Trigonometry[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Aleks[/td]
[td]Intermediate Algebra[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

This is my first thread so please excuse my ignorance of topic or terminology. I'll get it eventually ...I hope. Wink

That table is very cool. How did you make it?
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
The BSBA in CIS can be tested out. The CS AOS requires a number of courses that usually cannot be completed with alternative credits. The capstone, 3 UL CS, discrete math or linear algebra, and data structures. You also need to complete two calculus courses, which some people struggle with. In addition, applied computer courses like networking/cloud computing don't count. If it is CMP, it won't count. Sometimes CIS counts. Sometimes it doesn't.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Step 1
[/TD]
[TD]Create New Comment
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Step 2
[/TD]
[TD]Select Go Advanced at the bottom right
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Step 3
[/TD]
[TD]Choose Table at the bottom left of the tool bar
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

tesu-acct-student Wrote:That table is very cool. How did you make it?

Or if you know HTML you can just manually create it in the comment field.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
TrailRunr Wrote:The BSBA in CIS can be tested out.

Is there a thread here that discusses this in more detail? I am wondering if there is a list of tests for the CIS concentration.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Is there a thread here that discusses this in more detail? I am wondering if there is a list of tests for the CIS concentration.

There are a number of threads that discuss it, but the most concise list of what tests fill the AOS is located here:

Sanantone's BSBA in Computer Information Systems post-July 1, 2015 - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia

A list of what tests fill the GenEd's is here:

Sanantone's TESC General Education Options After July 1, 2015 - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,645 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,227 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,824 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,587 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,648 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  DSST Management Information Systems and CLEP Business Information systems vetvso 10 2,574 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  To CLEP the Survey of Lit II requirement: are the optional essays really optional? leland.kirk 2 1,221 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  A&I literature Information Literacy TESU fork 5 1,698 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: fork
  Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP + College Math CLEP ? Silly_Me 6 2,506 03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  CLEP Newcomer backstabbathds 6 1,422 02-24-2018, 12:03 AM
Last Post: dfrecore