Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Newcomer
I am a civilian currently in my last semester of my associates degree at a local community college, and I have an interest in getting the remaining 60 credits for a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts and Sciences from Excelsior. Aside from the Capstone, is this possible? I am looking to do TEFL and was curious if getting 90-95% of my credits via testing out was possible. Also, on average, how difficult are the exams?
(02-21-2018, 11:10 PM)backstabbathds Wrote: I am a civilian currently in my last semester of my associates degree at a local community college, and I have an interest in getting the remaining 60 credits for a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts and Sciences from Excelsior. Aside from the Capstone, is this possible? I am looking to do TEFL and was curious if getting 90-95% of my credits via testing out was possible. Also, on average, how difficult are the exams?

The difficulty of the exams depends a little on your knowledge of the subject. For me, I love literature and English, so the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP was easy, as was the English Literature CLEP. However, I'm currently taking Accounting and am finding it very difficult. That being said, all the CLEPs are definitely doable, but some may require more hard-core studying than others. Try to pick easier ones first, ones that maybe you have prior knowledge on. 

If you want to take a CLEP and need some practice, try these out:
InstantCert flashcards
Peterson's tests (free, if you can get them through your library; if not, $20. A must in my opinion)
Free-Clep-Prep (A little outdated, but still really good information. Gives a good breakdown of the exams. Also, practice tests and links for more info on the subject. http://www.free-clep-prep.com)
The Official CLEP book (also a must. Sometimes, some of their practice questions have been on the actual exam)

Good luck!
Yes, you should be able to get the remaining 57cr through testing out or using inexpensive online providers (Straighterline, Study.com, Davar Academy, etc.).

Is there a reason that you're choosing EC rather than TESU or COSC? Sometimes they are a better fit with your coursework. You should post on here what you've taken, and we can help you plan out a degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've taken:
Intro to Philosophy
Psychology 111&112
Abnormal psychology
Childhood Development
Introduction to Early Childhood Education
English 101
English 200
Biology
Math 138 (College Algebra I wanna say)
Statistics
Western Civilization
Public Speaking
~Currently Taking~
Spanish 1&2 (Two courses in one amounting to 8 credits)
Introduction to Microeconomics
Interdisciplinary Studies: Gender (required ;3; )
Organizational Psychology.
I chose Excelsior because they're seemingly the most flexible when it comes to being able to do most of your bachelor's via exam. Although I do live in Connecticut where Charter Oak is if I'm not mistaken, but still.
The 3 schools are roughly equal in flexibility, depending on the degree you want and what you've already earned.  You should DEFINITELY check out COSC, as you'll get in-state tuition prices, which will cut down your costs considerably.

COSC is very similar to EC in terms of being able to bring in most of your credits, and both require 30cr of UL coursework (TESU only requires 18cr of UL).  But COSC requires you to take a Cornerstone and Capstone, while TESU and EC only require a Capstone.

I would check out all 3 schools, and see what you think.

I put together a COSC plan for you and a TESU plan as well.  I don't know EC well enough to do a plan, or else I'd do that too.

BTW - Is your BIO course with or without a lab?

Attached Files
.xlsx   backstabbathds TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 44.72 KB / Downloads: 4)
.xlsx   backstabbathds COSC BA generic in-state.xlsx (Size: 14.65 KB / Downloads: 4)
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-23-2018, 01:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: BTW - Is your BIO course with or without a lab?

My bio class did have a lab. Another thing I should add is that my Bio class was 4 credits, my English 101 was part lab and was 4.5 credits, and my Statistics was 4 credits and was also part lab.
Another thing I was confused about when checking out your COSC spreadsheet (thank you so much for that by the way) was as to what LL concentration is, what type of degree path would this spreadsheet help me get, and what is FEMA and how would that help me get (free?) electives?
I don't know enough about COSC to help you with the concentrations, so maybe someone else will chime in. I also don't know anything about FEMA any longer, and what COSC will take.

TESU does not require a concentration, which is always nice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,820 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,585 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,647 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  DSST Management Information Systems and CLEP Business Information systems vetvso 10 2,572 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  To CLEP the Survey of Lit II requirement: are the optional essays really optional? leland.kirk 2 1,220 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP + College Math CLEP ? Silly_Me 6 2,505 03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  Does it matter what Clep exams I take? Keshi 4 1,402 01-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU, CLEP and WV BOG quigongene 9 2,413 11-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  CLEP homeschoolmom1 2 1,017 11-05-2017, 01:38 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU require essay for A&I Lit clep? Murdockb 1 1,261 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Joeman200