Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP home proctoring issues
Just received notification that College Board is refunding our exam and my son can retake the exam at his earliest convenience!

So glad this is behind us.
Crossing our fingers that his remaining 3 exams are uneventful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Carnation's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-09-2023, 02:19 PM)Carnation Wrote: The only response from College Board so far tells us that we have to pay again and wait 3 months to retake a test that was 4 questions from the end due to ProctorTrack's issue of not being able to see my son.

We are fighting it, so we will see.

Maybe it's time to call College Board out on social media for using unreliable remote proctoring with so many technical issues. Anyone who has had proctortrack issues should have the 3 months waived and the fee for a second test waived.
I have only taken one work certification proctored online from home and found it terrible. I always did CLEPS at community colleges office and found it way better. May not be an option but I would rather drive to a college for proctoring to offload all the other BS.
(12-24-2022, 04:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Room without a window doesn't sound like a standard proctoring agreement. But maybe it is for the CLEP exams. This is part of why I don't think that the online CLEPs are a viable option for most people, even though they sound super convenient.

I have taken 3 or 4 CLEP exams in a room with a window and I had no problems
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(01-22-2023, 01:18 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 04:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Room without a window doesn't sound like a standard proctoring agreement. But maybe it is for the CLEP exams. This is part of why I don't think that the online CLEPs are a viable option for most people, even though they sound super convenient.

I have taken 3 or 4 CLEP exams in a room with a window and I had no problems

My room where I took my test had 2 monitors, a sliding glass door, and two windows. Proctor had me disconnect 2nd monitor and I was good to go.

They need to dump Proctortrack.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • FloridaCLEPMom
Ouch, main reason I don't recommend CLEP @Home often is because it reminds me so much of ProctorU, it's real time, but the killer is the data breach/security issue that is most concerning. If you're really close to a testing site, such as the local college, it may be better to drive a few minutes to the test site instead, or if you like another option that's affordable, Saylor.org or Sophia.org seems like viable options.

Having said that, CLEP/ModernStates is a great partnership program for obtaining credits on the cheap, if it came out earlier, I would have skipped all the StraighterLine courses I took with ProctorU, I didn't have many issues nor affected with their data breach, just two exams out of 30+ was a little iffy. Hang in there and see how the remainder of your 3-4 exams go... switch options if you really need to.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I took 4 out of my 6 CLEPs in my really tiny bathroom with no issues.  A few weeks ago I attempted to take my Ethics in Technology DSST in the same bathroom and 2 proctors said no and it would need to be in a room.  Luckily I was able to get it done in a bedroom that had a window and small desk.  There was no issues to my surprise in testing in that room.  It was stressful because 90 minutes had already passed by the time I finally got settled in a different room.
My son recently spent 3 hours working with various proctors and support people to no avail. 
We learned from that experience though as a few days later it went off without much issue.

1. Use a computer that doesn't have anything that could be compromised in case of a data breach.
2. Connect hardwire to internet, no wifi
3. Make sure laptop computer is plugged in, don't count on the battery lasting through whatever you will face.
4. Make sure your firewall is not blocking anything
5. DO NOT upgrade to Windows 11, must use Windows 10.
6. Every time you encounter a new support person, ask that they restart the clock so that you have time to complete the test, if they can get it working. Only one out of every 7 or 8 support people know how to do this or they think you have to reschedule your test... not true.
7. My son's recommendation: Make sure you have a comfortable chair as you don't know how long it will take.
8. Make sure you have a tissue or something to erase your white board or sheet protector used for notes at the end.

HTH.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Carnation's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-07-2023, 04:33 PM)Carnation Wrote: My son recently spent 3 hours working with various proctors and support people to no avail. 
We learned from that experience though as a few days later it went off without much issue.

1. Use a computer that doesn't have anything that could be compromised in case of a data breach.
2. Connect hardwire to internet, no wifi
3. Make sure laptop computer is plugged in, don't count on the battery lasting through whatever you will face.
4. Make sure your firewall is not blocking anything
5. DO NOT upgrade to Windows 11, must use Windows 10.
6. Every time you encounter a new support person, ask that they restart the clock so that you have time to complete the test, if they can get it working. Only one out of every 7 or 8 support people know how to do this or they think you have to reschedule your test... not true.
7. My son's recommendation: Make sure you have a comfortable chair as you don't know how long it will take.
8. Make sure you have a tissue or something to erase your white board or sheet protector used for notes at the end.

HTH.

Not using WiFi just isn't realistic for most people. Hardwiring isn't that easy for many people. This sounds like such an old fashioned mindset - not you but the proctoring company. This process sounds like a total PITA. Sure CLEP credits can be cheap or free, but are they worth this hassle?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
How are you supposed to scan the room with a hardwired laptop? It's not always easy to find separate and suitable webcams to use for the scanning process. If you don't, though, the ethernet cord could get tangled and/or twisted around, potentially damaging your ethernet port.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • acethroughcollege, origamishuttle, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 2 112 04-14-2024, 10:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 110 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 259 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 201 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 526 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 886 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 566 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 728 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 457 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 488 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout