Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP is getting the best of me
I agree with others- it helps if you have an interest or understanding of the test you're taking. I have taken seven CLEP/DSST tests and passed 5 of them. I actually took American Literature first because I knew it was one I was interested in. I ended up failing with a 47. I think I just didn't know what to expect going into these tests. Since then I have used IC and the specific forum feedback (this has really gotten me through a few), REA study guides, the CLEP official study guides. The length of time to study for each test has varied for me. For example, I needed to test out of two history classes and history is not my thing. I want to say I studied for about two weeks for each test, a few hours each day. I took Intro to Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice and probably only studied about a week each for these. I felt like both of those had a lot of common sense things on them. My scores have not been highest but passing!

You just have to find what study material works best for you and go through it several times!

Good luck!
I usually give myself a month or less for any CLEP. This puts a hard time frame on things. My usual routine is to get an overview with a Wikipedia page and some Youtube videos. This sets a framework. Next, I hit more structured studying using something akin to Modern States. Next is drilling questions from a place like freeclepprep.com. Weak areas get more study time and then reassessed. I have taken over 12 CLEPS or DSSTs and have not failed so maybe this works just for me. My last CLEP was MacroEcon which is dry so a condensed study is the only way I can get through boring material. I gave myself a month and crushed it. Miserable month but not all classes are fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • rachel83az
(02-07-2018, 11:49 PM)2L8 Wrote: Hello , I'm currently in college and I've also been trying to study for the CLEP Exams. In December I took the College Composition (scored 49) and Human Development (got a 45).  I'm also working on Intro to Psych and Intro to Sociology. Currently I'm under a lot of stress with everything ( school assignments , worry , etc.) When it comes to CLEP I'm kind of in a rut when it comes to a studying regimen. I'm giving myself until May-June to complete at least 2 of them.  I guess the question I'm asking is do I go sociology since it's the easiest and just work my way back up to the things I've failed ? Also how long should I study?

Also I wanted to know when it comes to Intro to Psych what experiences did any of you guys get? I'm getting the feeling that there will be a lot of holes on this test?

I am assuming you are a young person near the traditional college age.  I will make comments assuming that.

Your priority should be getting the best grades possible in your regular college classes.  We have moved into the age of specialization (over-specialization I would say).  So any younger person needs to aim for straight A's in your graded college work so that you can preserve your prospects for graduate school.  Even if you can't see yourself doing graduate study now, a few years down the line you may realize you need to specialize to make the bucks.

Having said that I will make comments on your original question....

I don't recommend Intro to Psychology unless it's mandated by your major.  If you want to take a psych course try educational psychology.  It is one of the few undergraduate psych course that you may actually use some day.  If you ever decide you want to teach, develop training courses and train people, tutor, or mentor it will be of some use. 

At this point the decision of what to do re: clep depends on whether you are flush with funds and can retake one of the failed classes and get it off your back, or if you need to conserve funds as a priority.

If you can spare the cash, I'd recommend retaking the Human Growth & Development course using InstantCert https://www.instantcert.com/.  You could get this taken care of in 1-2 weeks at most.  If you find this works for you (and you are so close to passing I feel certain that it will) then do the same with the Composition.

If you're broke, then ModernStates.org would be your best bet, since they will pay for the test fee and reimburse you for proctoring center fee.

Keep in mind that most people here seem older.  Their priority is getting the sheepskins in the fastest amount of time, with the lowest expense, and with as many easy courses are they can find.  Bottomline they just want to check that box that says "Yes, I have a Bachelor's degree."  They are in a totally different mental space than a young person should be in.  Young people should be in "I'm building my career and keeping my future options open" space.
I've passed 6 Clep exams in the last 6-9 months as a stay at home mom and full-time student at a CC. I don't schedule the test until I have mastered 90%+ on InstantCert. I also use Modern States and take as many free practice tests online as I can and use the one in the official Clep Guide, aiming for at least a 70%. I base study time on the rating on the Free clep Prep difficulty list and my comfort with the subject. I studied for Sociology for about a week, but took a month for Humanities. My advice would be to take as many practice tests as possible first to be sure you know the material and aren't wasting time/money.
[-] The following 2 users Like mrshill818's post:
  • greencouch, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,845 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 851 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,314 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,641 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,274 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,236 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,144 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,332 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,075 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar