Poll: Do you like CLEPs or DSSTs better?
This poll is closed.
CLEP
33.33%
7 33.33%
DSST
47.62%
10 47.62%
I like them the same
19.05%
4 19.05%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP or DSST?
Which one do you like taking and/or studying for better? CLEPs or DSSTs?
Is there a particular reason?
UL credit for DSST exams is hard to beat, but I still prefer CLEP because of the availability of study guides like REA and practice tests. I feel more prepared with those. Plus, some are 6 credits.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Great thread! Looking forward to what people have to say on this topic because I’m studying for my last Clep now and have several DSSTs ahead. So far, I’ve loved taking Cleps :coolgleam: Smile
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
CLEP is my favorite. Maybe I just like Collegeboard better than Prometric. Tongue I think CLEPs have more straightforward questions.
AA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Dec. 2012
BA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Sept. 2013
16 CLEPs, 6 DSSTs, 12 FEMAs, and a handful of B&M lab science courses
120/120 credits DONE :hurray:

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”
Snickerdoodle Wrote:CLEP is my favorite. Maybe I just like Collegeboard better than Prometric. Tongue I think CLEPs have more straightforward questions.
Wow, I’ve heard people say CLEPs are tricky and DSSTs are straightforward :confused: Smile
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:Wow, I’ve heard people say CLEPs are tricky and DSSTs are straightforward :confused: Smile
I've had my share of both tests being more straightforward at times, though I must say that from the exams I've taken DSST has generally been more so.

Reasons I like DSSTs better (in no particular order)
1)There are only 4 options per question instead 5.
2)You can use a calculator (your calculator), on select exams.
3)You have an account and can access all your scores online instead of just getting a print out.
4)Some exams are worth UL credit.
5)They occasionally have discount codes for 'em. Tongue
6)The refreshed exams have percentage passing scores.
7)DSSTs have longer time limits in general. 2 hrs instead of 1.5. Haven't needed that extra time, but maybe once or twice, but it has helped.
8)Prometric publishes some stats on the exams. Okay, so maybe this last reason isn't a real reason. (I just like stats Confusedmilelol: )

I will agree that study material is more scarce. Though buying an used earlier edition of one of the textbooks recommended in the DSST fact sheet works pretty well. That, and reading in the Specific Exam Feedback section of what resources helped for that test covers it pretty well.
If the acceptablility by colleges for DSSTs increase, then you will see more study guides (supply and demand at work). I personally prefer DSSTs. I won't expound any further because Publius hit them all on the nail.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Publius is right. I do love me some discount codes and UL credit. Big Grin It may be simply because I started out with CLEPs and somehow got used to them. I only have DSSTs left, and strangely I'm missing the CLEPs, dunno why!
AA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Dec. 2012
BA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Sept. 2013
16 CLEPs, 6 DSSTs, 12 FEMAs, and a handful of B&M lab science courses
120/120 credits DONE :hurray:

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”
I should add that my experiences with DSST exams have improved. When I started they were pencil and paper-based, which means a 3 week wait for scores, and they were graded. Having computer-based instant pass/fail scores has taken a lot of the pressure off.

They have been adding more subjects to their list of official practice tests ($5 each). These are always the best way for me to know when I am ready to take the real exam.

I have also learned to use InstantCert flashcards and Free Clep Prep.com as main study guides when appropriate.

I still prefer CLEP because of the study guides and practice tests, but I couldn't have gotten my degree without both exam programs!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Okay, so I don't think I'm really qualified to say much on this since I've only taken 1 DSST so I can't really compare it to CLEP that well. Anyway, I voted for DSST because when I took the Civil War and Reconstruction DSST, I loved it!! I'm not sure if it was because I had previously taken US History I & II which were based on "Why" things happened and the Civil War DSST was totally fact based so I found that easier.......I guess we'll see after I take some more of them! Big Grin I also like that they offer discount codes and that there are less answers to decide between. On the flip side though, I was disappointed, like NAP said, about the lack of study guides/practice tests. Although, I did get an email awhile ago saying they added a Civil War practice test like a month after I took it. :confused: Oh well! Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,576 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,855 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  DSST Test center open on Sundays in Maryland subhuman 0 1,067 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: subhuman
  Organizing my CLEP stuff jmeitrem 7 1,548 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Harvard Extension accepts ACE and CLEP rebel100 7 2,292 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Imagine if he had known about CLEP..... rebel100 18 2,242 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 952 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  How do you know about CLEP? sgloer 79 13,078 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Last Post: submissiongrappler
  I'm giving a speech today about CLEP Bibby 3 1,120 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  A Clep Hater jmichelle79 37 4,171 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Prloko