Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP vs ACE
Any preference in CLEP vs  ACE credit?

I am starting from scratch and not sure which route to take. Seems like more schools take CLEP but I do not know any subject well enough so will need to study for a clep anyway. 

Which is the easier / cheaper route?
Using modernstates let's you take the CLEP for free(for now) and there are many resources for studying for CLEPs and lots of feedback on this site and others of how to prepare for different CLEPs. So CLEP would be my first choice. If you prefer a more structured course progression with intermediate tests, quizzes, assignments, etc. Or feel anxious by the thought everything riding on one test score then some of the other ACE providers are a good choice.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
What do you plan on doing. If you're not going to one of the Big 3, you'll find more schools receptive to CLEP than ACE. If you know you're going to one of the Big 3, ACE can be more convenient (and cheaper once Modern States runs out). Then, as MNomadic stated, there's personally preference involved in how you learn. What's your plan?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-20-2018, 10:21 PM)All Seas Wrote: Any preference in CLEP vs  ACE credit?

I am starting from scratch and not sure which route to take. Seems like more schools take CLEP but I do not know any subject well enough so will need to study for a clep anyway. 

If you have access to a nearby open CLEP testing center, then CLEP is definitely the way to go for courses that CLEP offers which will fit into your degree plan. Not only are CLEP exams accepted by more schools than ACE, but CLEP exams can also be taken for free if you use the modern states prep material and get a waiver through them.

If you have no familiarity with the topic going in, you will probably need more than just the modern states prep courses to be assured a passing score. I'd recommend picking up the REA guides and/or using the InstantCert flashcards (for the exams they support) to be safe.

Getting access to a CLEP test center can be the hard part. I live just outside one of the largest cities in California and all the local schools restricted their test centers to students only in the last few years so the closest open test center for me is like an hour drive each way plus traffic, which isn't worthwhile to me. Sad
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • greencouch, hsfamfun
I don't know about easier/cheaper, since it totally depends.

But I would say that unless you have your school narrowed down to one of the Big 3 or WGU (or another school that you KNOW takes ACE), I would always recommend CLEP. For my kids and their friends, who will not be going to the Big 3, I recommend CLEP to them as well. Even then, I only recommend CLEP if they're going to be narrowing their school search to schools that take CLEP (here in CA, the CSU's take CLEP, the UC's don't).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the replies.

I have not picked a school yet. I am still deciding between TESU and a a few state universities. I like the idea of the TESU degree approach as I work a full time job, life, wife, house, etc and do not have time to enroll in 12 week courses with assignments each week and much prefer the study and test approach. (clep, ace, SL)

My only concern is if future employers look down on a big 3 vs a more popular state school. (penn state, university of texas, SUNY, etc)
(09-21-2018, 01:28 AM)All Seas Wrote: Thanks for the replies.

I have not picked a school yet. I am still deciding between TESU and a a few state universities. I like the idea of the TESU degree approach as I work a full time job, life, wife, house, etc and do not have time to enroll in 12 week courses with assignments each week and much prefer the study and test approach. (clep, ace, SL)

My only concern is if future employers look down on a big 3 vs a more popular state school. (penn state, university of texas, SUNY, etc)

If you have little career experience and are applying for a competitive position suitable to new grads, employers are more likely to focus on your academic credentials since it is the only thing you really have to show on your resume. However, the more career experience under your belt, the less important your degree becomes or where you earned it. For many positions, it just becomes a checkbox that is part of the application process.

Of course, if you're looking to enter a highly competitive field or trying to move into academics like teaching or research, then the degree may remain important for much longer. At that point, if your degree is not from a highly rated or Ivy League school, or you don't have a graduate-level degree (or higher), you may not be competitive in those fields regardless. This can also apply if you're planning to pursue a higher degree from a prestigious university.

But for the majority of people who just want a degree to be competitive in normal working environments, it probably won't matter what school shows on your diploma. Yeah, some recruiters or hiring managers may be more excited to see a candidate who has a degree from a school they recognize like Penn State, particularly if they went to that school themselves, but if you can show a stronger career history, chances are good that it won't matter.

Many of us here on this forum are looking at the big 3 and WGU because they are faster, and if done correctly, less expensive than pursuing a traditional degree. If you are able to afford the time and money of a more well-known school and you think that will be important to your career, then that is the way to go. You should research the school to determine which, if any, alternate credit options (like CLEP / DSST / ACE / NCCRS) they allow and how many credits they will support before you enroll, since you may be able to give yourself at least a bit of a time & money break using them to supplement the traditional college coursework.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jsd
(09-20-2018, 10:21 PM)All Seas Wrote: Any preference in CLEP vs  ACE credit?

No reason to exclude one or the other- you can do both. I'd suggest trying both and seeing what you like.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,623 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,208 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,092 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,257 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,024 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar