Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNA to RN or BSN
Hi All,

Is there a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant) to RN (Registered Nurse) online program?

About me:

- Bachelors in Art previous degree
- CA CNA license

Do any of the Big 3 offer a combination of all my credits and CNA? Can I just take the remaining courses online to get an RN degree?

-Jake
If there were any CNA to RN programs, I would have found them. CNAs don't get enough training to make it worth it to create a bridge program. Medical assistants receive a lot more training, and I haven't seen an RN bridge program for them. The only online bridge programs I've seen are for LVNs and paramedics.

As a CNA, you'll be starting from scratch just like everyone else. WGU has an entry-level BSN program in certain states. Your local area might have a second degree BSN program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • alexf.1990
Nope. And you can't get an RN degree online - it takes hands-on to do that.

You're better off getting your prereqs for an RN program, and then doing that or a BSN.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-24-2019, 02:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Nope. And you can't get an RN degree online - it takes hands-on to do that.

You're better off getting your prereqs for an RN program, and then doing that or a BSN.

Excelsior actually does have an online RN. It’s designed for LVN/LPNs or paramedics. But I believe NY is the only state you’d be able to be registered in.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(02-24-2019, 12:35 PM)harrypotter Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 02:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Nope.  And you can't get an RN degree online - it takes hands-on to do that.

Excelsior actually does have an online RN. It’s designed for LVN/LPNs or paramedics. But I believe NY is the only state you’d be able to be registered in.
The Excelsior program is approved in most states. There are about a dozen states that will require additional experience or won't recognize the training at all.

There are several online programs for non-RNs. The didactic portion is online, but the clinical rotations are either with a preceptor in your local community or with designated sites near the school.

No RN program is going to be 100% online. Even the Excelsior program requires an in-person skills test.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • tifferbugz
(02-23-2019, 11:04 PM)humboldtjake Wrote: Hi All,

Is there a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant) to RN (Registered Nurse) online program?

About me:

- CA CNA license

Do any of the Big 3 offer a combination of all my credits and CNA? Can I just take the remaining courses online to get an RN degree?

-Jake

If something is worth your while, it will take you longer than you think, but farther than you can imagine. 

The clinical portion takes time my friend. The best way isn't always the fast way; especially when you are responsible for someones life. As an RN you are essentially training to be a manager, so you'll need leadership skills on top of your nursing knowledge.

They have fast track 12 month RN programs but they are highly competitive and the drop out rates are insane... and being a CNA won't be enough, in fact --  and no offense -- it is usually the CNA's and EMTs that flunk out first because many are not able to empty their cup. Just take your time and climb through the prerequisites one science at a time. You'll be competing with people who have BA in biology with 4.0 GPAs.

(If you need to make a little more money now, the board of nursing has approved a new "medication aide" license that will cost you about $400 but bump up by about 5 bucks.)

About me:

- CA CNA license

-Jake

No, however, you're not really starting from "scratch" but you're probably not as far along as you hope.

Your liberal arts gen eds are probably done. Your nursing sciences are probably not (you can usually do those online). Most of the RN programs I looked at wanted a CNA as a prereq, so if your prospective programs ask for that, you're covered.

Here's the thing, RN isn't a degree, it's a license, so you have to get the RN part covered. The easiest and most straight forward way to get your RN is to check out the nearest community college. They aren't going to give you any vibes that they're happy to have you lol, it's going to be competitive and there is already a list of people in front of you, but if it's what you want, carefully assemble all the requirements and compare what you have to see what you need. Once you get your RN, you *can* do higher degrees online, no question (bachelor / masters) but you have to get in there and get your RN & associate degree first.
(02-24-2019, 04:31 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

About me:

- CA CNA license

-Jake

No, however, you're not really starting from "scratch" but you're probably not as far along as you hope.

Your liberal arts gen eds are probably done. Your nursing sciences are probably not (you can usually do those online).  Most of the RN programs I looked at wanted a CNA as a prereq, so if your prospective programs ask for that, you're covered.  

Here's the thing, RN isn't a degree, it's a license, so you have to get the RN part covered.  The easiest and most straight forward way to get your RN is to check out the nearest community college.  They aren't going to give you any vibes that they're happy to have you lol, it's going to be competitive and there is already a list of people in front of you, but if it's what you want, carefully assemble all the requirements and compare what you have to see what you need.    Once you get your RN, you *can* do higher degrees online, no question (bachelor / masters) but you have to get in there and get your RN & associate degree first.

I should clarify. When I say "start from scratch," I don't mean that the OP won't have any transfer credits. I mean that the OP will have no nursing transfer credits or advanced standing from the CNA credential.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Some nursing programs require the CNA as a prerequisite for admission.  I have a daughter that completed an ASN a year ago and another who recently completed an associates in respiratory therapy.  Both had to have a CNA to be admitted into their programs.
UT Arlington's online BSN for non-RNs used to require a CNA as an admissions prerequisite, but they dropped that requirement a couple of years ago. Since it's just a prerequisite certification, it makes no difference in the length of the program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P