Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNA to RN or BSN
(02-24-2019, 12:35 PM)harrypotter Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 02:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Nope.  And you can't get an RN degree online - it takes hands-on to do that.

You're better off getting your prereqs for an RN program, and then doing that or a BSN.

Excelsior actually does have an online RN. It’s designed for LVN/LPNs or paramedics. But I believe NY is the only state you’d be able to be registered in.

I meant that there's at least a portion that will require you to get your clinical hours - no way around that (God, I hope not!).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-24-2019, 07:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 12:35 PM)harrypotter Wrote:
(02-24-2019, 02:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Nope.  And you can't get an RN degree online - it takes hands-on to do that.

You're better off getting your prereqs for an RN program, and then doing that or a BSN.

Excelsior actually does have an online RN. It’s designed for LVN/LPNs or paramedics. But I believe NY is the only state you’d be able to be registered in.

I meant that there's at least a portion that will require you to get your clinical hours - no way around that (God, I hope not!).

And, the Excelsior program requires 200 hours of experience as an LVN/LPN or paramedic or current full-time employment as a military medic. 

It used to be scary. Excelsior used to accept students with no clinical experience or training as long as they completed a certain number of credits, EMT-Bs, and medical assistants. It's possible to become a certified medical assistant without any clinical experience through NHA.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/...153391.php

"For the second time in less than a year, a Maryland law firm has filed a federal lawsuit against Excelsior College, alleging the school misleads students who are hoping to become registered nurses...

College officials have previously conceded that the nursing program, which was a mainstay of the school, had problems. It was downsized in 2016 amid realization that admission requirements may have been too lax. The program’s enrollment subsequently shrunk from 21,000 to 8,000 students between 2015 and 2018, the Times Union has reported."

This is not the plan to become an RN. EC serves many, but this is not what they're good at.
All of the others have given you good, accurate advice.

Now to make generalizations to which exceptions can be found.

Most nursing programs are 4 semesters long. That's true of ADN and BSN. A BSN student has to complete more prerequisites and take more hours each semester. Many hospitals in large cities only hire BSNs. To maximize your long term employability, you need a BSN. In a large city with both ADN and BSN schools, the large hospitals offering the best clinical experiences tend not to accept ADN clinical students. You want to get the best possible clinical experiences. Being in a BSN program is likely to give you better clinical experiences. Get the best possible clinical experiences you can afford.

Of course you want to finish quickly. As the dean at Vanderbilt said, it's more important to finish well than early. Nine women can't have one baby in one month. Some things can't be rushed.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • cookderosa
I'm an EC ADN student but I was a critical care paramedic for 7 years before this. I feel the school serves it's purpose for me.

As a CNA I do not believe the critical medical thinking, STEM education, or clinical experience is there to bridge.

I recommend going a traditional BSN route.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • cookderosa