Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC BALS History
Hello all! I posted late last year initially requesting help for a TESU BA and received some great feedback. Unfortunately, life and 2020 happened, so I had to put my plans on the backburner. Luckily things are straightening themselves out, and I can hopefully move forward with getting my BA.

After some preparatory work, it would seem that a Bachelors in Liberal Studies with a concentration in History from Charter Oak would be the best path for me, with a tentative plan laid out below (and attached):
[Image: D3mZSp8.png]
Green are previously-earned credits, yellow is to-be earned, blue are classes required to be taken at COSC.

As you can see, I have my total outstanding costs calculated at just under $4200, although estimates are used in some places. For comparison, I made a similar plan for a History BA from TESU that would run me over $7500 (I can share it if anyone is interested). Unless I've made a huge oversight, COSC is the obviously superior financial choice by a margin of around $3300.

As mentioned in the plan, what is the current situation regarding the TEEX cybersecurity courses and COSC? Obviously COSC recently began only accepting "alternative educational providers (non-regionally accredited entities)" if they are on their very short pre-approved list, but the thing is that TEEX is a subsidiary of Texas A&M, which is a RA entity. So basically, would those TEEX credits transfer in or not?

Also, what are my prospects of getting additional degrees at the same time (looking at you bjcheung77)? I'd certainly be open to the possibility if it doesn't require exceptionally more effort and/or money.

That's about it; if anyone has any recommended course substitutions I'd love to her them, but other than that my plan right now is to take the necessary outstanding courses, transfer them (as well as my previously-completed courses) to Charter Oak, complete the Cornerstone and Capstone, and graduate!

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot_2020-11-07 Screenshot.png (Size: 63.34 KB / Downloads: 11)
You caught me at a time when I'm lurking on the board and clicking "refresh", and your post came up as unread just a few minutes ago - wow, talk about coincidence! Anyways, you may still want to consider TESU because of their 18 credit UL requirements and because you mentioned in your previous thread you may want to go for Pell Grant if you're eligible... if you are, it'll be cheap/easy/fast and you can try a double degree with them...

Your plan is workable since you have over 24 credits RA from your previous institution. It's cheapest at COSC, but...
Your previous post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...History-BA?
My Pell Grant post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ng-Courses
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • person8612
(11-07-2020, 06:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You caught me at a time when I'm lurking on the board and clicking "refresh", and your post came up as unread just a few minutes ago - wow, talk about coincidence!  Anyways, you may still want to consider TESU because of their 18 credit UL requirements and because you mentioned in your previous thread you may want to go for Pell Grant if you're eligible... if you are, it'll be cheap/easy/fast and you can try a double degree with them...

Your plan is workable since you have over 24 credits RA from your previous institution.  It's cheapest at COSC, but...
Your previous post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...History-BA?
My Pell Grant post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ng-Courses

It sounds like we both have good timing!  Smile

Unfortunately it looks like I wouldn't be eligible for the Pell Grant under TESU's rules.

In regards to UL credits, I don't suspect the four additional courses necessary for COSC would be that arduous for me, so that isn't much of a consideration.

And given your language, it sounds like the prospect of a double degree via COSC wouldn't really be on the table?

Thanks!
TEEX credits are ACE and, thus, not RA credits. They are also not on the list of accepted partner institutions. For COSC, the cheapest way to get RA credits currently is through TEL Learning. $200 per 3-credit-course. Also, you have not taken the DSST yet (it's yellow). Are you a military member? Because I don't believe that these tests are open to the general public right now. If you ARE military, TESU might actually cost less than COSC. If you're not military, you're likely going to need to use BYU for the non-western history course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • person8612
Double degree works, in fact, I was going to recommend you be my VICTIM and I'll be your ASSAILANT as I have a very EVIL plan...<grin> I highly recommend trying the following. Volunteer Individual Credits, Transfer International Merits - Assigned Student Savior, Aiding Individual Learners, Assessing New Transfers. Educational Vehicle Individual Learning - Yes, I just made these Acronyms up... but man, it may work in the end, you wanna be the guinea pig?

Go for a double degree, a BSLS in History as this is a general studies degree with a History concentration. The other degree would be a BSBA in General Management by using international credits - ENEB MBA/Masters combo was recently evaluated as Upper Level Undergrad credit (like the final year). This should technically be enough 30 UL Business courses you need to "finish" a BSBA at COSC for amazingly cheap... it'll cost you $249USD for the ENEB degrees and $160 for ECE course by course evaluation and then transfer to COSC.

Side note: With the ENEB/Universidad Isabel I double MBA/Masters degree that is recognized internationally and it may be just where you want to be at once you're done with the program - double Bachelors/double Masters for amazingly cheap. The only 3 courses you need to take are the Cornerstone, BSLS Capstone and BSBA Capstone at COSC. Amazingly cheap, easy, fast... btw, entry requirements for ENEB/Universidad doesn't require a Bachelors to be completed before you sign up...

• person8612
(11-07-2020, 07:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TEEX credits are ACE and, thus, not RA credits. They are also not on the list of accepted partner institutions. For COSC, the cheapest way to get RA credits currently is through TEL Learning. $200 per 3-credit-course. Also, you have not taken the DSST yet (it's yellow). Are you a military member? Because I don't believe that these tests are open to the general public right now. If you ARE military, TESU might actually cost less than COSC. If you're not military, you're likely going to need to use BYU for the non-western history course.

I don't need additional RA credits for COSC, it's just that if the TEEX courses were transferable, it would save me a bit of time and money.

I haven't seen any indication that DSST exams are currently closed to the general public. They're free for servicemembers, but that's the only difference AFAICT. If you could point me to information that they have restricted them to the military though I'd greatly appreciate it.

(11-07-2020, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Double degree works, in fact, I was going to recommend you be my VICTIM and I'll be your ASSAILANT as I have a very EVIL plan...<grin>  I highly recommend trying the following.  Volunteer Individual Credits, Transfer International Merits - Assigned Student Savior, Aiding Individual Learners, Assessing New Transfers.  Educational Vehicle Individual Learning - Yes, I just made these Acronyms up... but man, it may work in the end, you wanna be the guinea pig?

Go for a double degree, a BSLS in History as this is a general studies degree with a History concentration.  The other degree would be a BSBA in General Management by using international credits - ENEB MBA/Masters combo was recently evaluated as Upper Level Undergrad credit (like the final year).  This should technically be enough 30 UL Business courses you need to "finish" a BSBA at COSC for amazingly cheap... it'll cost you $249USD for the ENEB degrees and $160 for ECE course by course evaluation and then transfer to COSC.

Side note: With the ENEB/Universidad Isabel I double MBA/Masters degree that is recognized internationally and it may be just where you want to be at once you're done with the program - double Bachelors/double Masters for amazingly cheap.  The only 3 courses you need to take are the Cornerstone, BSLS Capstone and BSBA Capstone at COSC.  Amazingly cheap, easy, fast... btw, entry requirements for ENEB/Universidad doesn't require a Bachelors to be completed before you sign up...

You're in this stuff a lot deeper than I am, so I'm willing to try about anything if you think it'll work! Could you list out the additional credits necessary for the additional degrees? Also, you mention "30 UL Business courses you need to "finish" a BSBA at COSC" but from what I can tell, COSC simply requires 30 UL credits in order to graduate; they do not necessarily need to be in the field of study. I could easily be misinterpreting this, though.
The test centers administering DSST tests are generally closed due to the pandemic right now. If you are a service member, you have access to the testing facilities. Otherwise, you're out of luck. https://www.prometric.com/test-takers/search/dantes

Quote:At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-07-2020, 07:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The test centers administering DSST tests are generally closed due to the pandemic right now. If you are a service member, you have access to the testing facilities. Otherwise, you're out of luck.  https://www.prometric.com/test-takers/search/dantes

Quote:At this time civilian and non-eligible military test takers cannot take an exam at a Prometric test center.

Prometric facilities are only open to the military right now (and given the wording on this page it seems to have nothing to do with the pandemic). However, there are a number of non-Prometric DSST testing centers that do accept non-servicemembers (albeit some of those are closed to everybody because of the pandemic).
My suggestion is to finish all the Sophia.org and TEEX courses you haven't taken yet and that doesn't duplicate your current credits - all of the Sophia.org except for the three foundations and then work on some Upper Level through Study.com - this basically should get you your general education/electives/AOS completed. You can then work on your requirements from DSST to finish off the degree.

Are you a civilian or a service member? I would save applying to COSC after you have all the TEEX/Sophia/Study.com completed as you don't want to pay for enrolment/semester fees for no reason... If you are wanting to do a double degree, then sign up for ENEB double MBA/Masters after you have completed all your requirements for the first degree (except capstone/cornerstone).

• person8612
(11-07-2020, 07:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Also, you have not taken the DSST yet (it's yellow). Are you a military member? Because I don't believe that these tests are open to the general public right now. 

My local CC offers DSST exams, just like CLEP, so I'm not certain you have that info correct.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • person8612

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with degree plan - UMPI BA History Ckccc 15 1,362 02-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  History degree plan Duneranger 15 793 09-12-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UMPI History Degree Plan Help!!!! kylepenn89 11 848 09-04-2023, 02:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BA History & Political Science - Aspiring Highschool Teacher ExiledToGames 14 953 08-09-2023, 08:07 PM
  TESU BALS using military TA hammerall 3 391 06-25-2023, 01:48 PM
  International student, complex study history, looking at TESU BA Psych vaticidalprophet 7 775 06-11-2023, 12:18 PM
  UMPI BA in History & Political Science with Minors Spreadsheet PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 11 1,666 04-26-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Want to Complete History or Sociology Degree Wayne195 11 1,239 11-15-2022, 04:35 AM
  TESU BALS? - seeking guidance whatsup7878 9 788 09-10-2022, 06:54 PM
  TESU for a BALS with no concentration javabeanstudio 12 1,149 08-15-2022, 08:19 AM