Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Business Electives
[quote pid='304704' dateline='1584468188']

And prior approval is always preferable in any case. But in practice, these courses do not really have to have prior approval to be applied in the business elective category. 
[/quote]

This is what I have been wondering - what it says and what we most likely know it is. I thought people generally waited until they had all but the last two courses (cornerstone and capstone) and then enrolled. If you had to have approval, you'd have to have those 3 classes left, plus the cap/cornerstone, correct?

@topdog98 do you have a COSC business degree plan you could share with me? How far along are you?
Quick heads up I am in the general business manor.

Business ethics from Sl checked off:

Ul business elective
Ethics general education requirement

Came in as ul even though sl says this is LL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepking100's post:
  • topdog98
(04-03-2020, 03:40 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: Quick heads up I am in the general business manor.

Ul business elective

So you took Business Ethics at Straighterline? And Business Ethics counted as UL even though transfer page says "denotes lower level?" And yet the course equivalency listed is PHL 485. Always interesting!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepper43's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(04-03-2020, 03:40 PM)Clepking100 Wrote: Quick heads up I am in the general business manor.

Ul business elective

My eldest was going to take one of COSC's actual courses for this, but will do the SL one instead if his advisor agrees this will check all the same boxes. Thanks!
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • alab21
(04-03-2020, 10:10 PM)Clepper43 Wrote:

Ul business elective

So you took Business Ethics at Straighterline? And Business Ethics counted as UL even though transfer page says "denotes lower level?" And yet the course equivalency listed is PHL 485. Always interesting!
Yep. Came in at Phil 485
(04-03-2020, 01:59 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: @topdog98 do you have a COSC business degree plan you could share with me? How far along are you?

COSC business degree was completed 5 years ago. I don't really have a current plan worked up, but I can try to answer any questions that you have.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
By the way, is there a difference between "business electives" and "business concentration" courses? I've seen that used interchangeably.

Charter Oak lists 45 credits for the Business Major: 27 required courses, 3 pre-requisites and 3 concentration classes? So are concentration classes = electives?

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ration.php
(05-05-2020, 09:54 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: By the way, is there a difference between "business electives" and "business concentration" courses? I've seen that used interchangeably.

Charter Oak lists 45 credits for the Business Major: 27 required courses, 3 pre-requisites and 3 concentration classes? So are concentration classes = electives?

Yes, there's a difference.  The concentration is 9cr, all UL.  Then you choose an additional 9cr of business electives, which can be UL or LL, depending on what you need.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-05-2020, 02:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 09:54 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: By the way, is there a difference between "business electives" and "business concentration" courses? I've seen that used interchangeably.

Yes, there's a difference.  The concentration is 9cr, all UL.  Then you choose an additional 9cr of business electives, which can be UL or LL, depending on what you need.

Ack! I made a mistake - I keep doing that. I should have said  the Business Core is 27 credits, concentration 9 credits and prerequisites 9 credits=45 credits. So how does the extra 9 credits of "electives" fit in? I don't see anything on the link above about Business electives?

Thanks!
(03-11-2020, 11:27 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: COSC uses a master exam list, that's always updated on their website - so if you AP/clep/dsst/tecep - that's the main list to use.   If you're doing everything online using ACE/NCCRS, you're at the mercy of the people who update their website for equivalency.  However, that being said, most providers do have an updated list that should still work.

The main reason is because, COSC doesn't change much at all, they're mainly the "follower" when it comes to changes.  Usually it's Excelsior or TESU that initiate changes first to conform to regulations set by the state and accreditation agencies... and COSC follows, Excelsior hasn't made many changes either over the last 3 or 4 years.

One thing to note though, you may want to skip NCCRS credits as COSC has stopped taking the majority of the providers, it's all ACE except for Shmoop, they've been pooped a long time ago, but recently they stopped taking NCCRS except for Onlinedegree.com...  I am thinking Excelsior/TESU may follow suit <gasp>.
Do you know if they still take NCCRS credit from Study.com since they have partnership with them?

(03-14-2020, 02:02 PM)topdog98 Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 02:03 PM)Acam10 Wrote: On the transfer spreadsheet between COSC and SDC, would the Business classes listed as only (Elective) and not (Business Elective) transfer to Business electives section or not? I see only a few business classes from SDC with COSC listed as “Business Elective” is why I ask.

Also, what about the Business Ethics class? The spreadsheet says it transfers as an “Ethics Elective” so I’m thinking it won’t transfer as a Business Elective?? If not, would the “Elective” Business classes as well as the Business Ethics class transfer in under Non Liberal Arts classes in the General Education section? Thanks

All of the Business Electives that are required for the major need to be upper level credit. That is the key. So focus on whether or not it is designated as upper level.

https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

If you look at the current transfer list from SDC, I counted like 26 business courses (including marketing, accounting, and finance courses) that are listed as upper level. (I can't see the upper level designations on my phone on that list, but I can see them on my PC.)

If it is not listed as upper level, it won't count as an official Business Elective in your major requirements. Any lower level business classes that are electives will still count toward your total non-liberal arts credits, but they will not be considered Business Electives in the requirements for the major.

If you take Business 108 Business Ethics, they will not count this in the required Business Electives section. However, Business 310 Advanced Business Ethics is currently listed as upper level from SDC to COSC, so that should work as a business elective (and as a general education requirement in the area of Ethical Decision-Making).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,972 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,861 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 781 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,399 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,097 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,340 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,794 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,255 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,915 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,665 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso