Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Business Statistics (BUS 201) requirement
Well, my daughter finally turned 16 this month and was able to apply & be accepted to Charter Oak!  We did pretty well in navigating their requirements for a BSBA (general business), except we wrongly assumed that Principles of Statistics was the same as Business Statistics.  Bummer!  Still, only one extraneous class, as she does not need the 3 credits.  Not too bad!  And maybe what she learned for statistics will apply to the business one?

Anyway, she just needs one more UL elective and BUS 201.  She'll do the cornerstone & then capstone starting in January and graduate in May.  Homestretch!  Yay!

So... we are wondering if we're missing options to fulfill the specific business statistics requirement.  The only test equivalent on their master list is an exam they offer.  They, of course, have an online class for no small fee.  We think Aleks has something, but were quickly put off by their confusing website.  "Free" is not that important to us.  We are leaning toward using Straighterline.  Is this the only other option?  Efficiency is our primary goal.

We have mostly done CLEP & DSST, with a handful of courses from study.com and a lab from ed4credit.  Is Straighterline like study.com?  Any other advice?

These boards have been an invaluable resource.  Thank you!!!  Smile
Saylor also has a business statistics course that may work.

And yes, what she learned in her other statistics course should apply to her business statistics course.

Is there a way to get pre-approved by a COSC academic advisor to transfer in courses?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • stampbuyme
(10-31-2018, 10:16 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Saylor also has a business statistics course that may work.

And yes, what she learned in her other statistics course should apply to her business statistics course.

Is there a way to get pre-approved by a COSC academic advisor to transfer in courses?

Thank you.  Now that she is enrolled, I can get someone to talk to us about such things.  However, they want us to pay for their online course naturally, so I didn't think asking them for an alternative would be very warmly received.  Wink  

Straighterline's business class is a clear equivalent under their Charter Oak tab.  Just wondering if this is the best, most efficient way to go.
Straigherline Business Statistics does not come into COSC as UL it comes in as LL "Business Statistics - BUS 201" https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...e-college/, however COSC does not show it needing to be UL - https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ration.php

I took SL Business Statistics and would recommend it, especially for someone who already had an Intro to Statistics under their belt.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • stampbuyme
Straighterline business stats is going to be more efficient than the saylor one in time spent and likelihood of passing, that being said I do like saylor especially the price they can just be sort of scattered sometimes. And for an UL elective, study.com has my vote, the UL business courses have plenty of overlap and usually require fewer quizzes and a single assignment. (I found advanced operations management very easy especially after loading up on business classes along the way)
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoshDosMil's post:
  • stampbuyme
Study.com has the most UL business electives, but it's going to be expensive for 1 course ($199). Davar has some UL courses that may work.

I think COSC will be ok with asking for other courses to be brought in. I've not heard that they are a pain like TESU - can't hurt to ask.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-31-2018, 11:25 AM)allvia Wrote: Straigherline Business Statistics does not come into COSC as UL it comes in as LL "Business Statistics - BUS 201" https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...e-college/, however COSC does not show it needing to be UL - https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ration.php

I took SL Business Statistics and would recommend it, especially for someone who already had an Intro to Statistics under their belt.

Thanks!  She does not need any additional UL credits, so this is perfect.  Glad to have a solid recommendation re. SL too.

(10-31-2018, 04:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Study.com has the most UL business electives, but it's going to be expensive for 1 course ($199).  Davar has some UL courses that may work.

I think COSC will be ok with asking for other courses to be brought in.  I've not heard that they are a pain like TESU - can't hurt to ask.

I wasn't clear.  She can do any UL elective.  She is planning on the Vietnam War DSST.  If there's a test vs. a course, this girl opts for the exam, and though her degree is business, she prefers history.
@stampbuyme Well then if she prefers history, then she should study history. When you dont study what you like it feels like something is missing and as you do more UL courses it gets harder.

You could consider a double major, or all free electives in history.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(11-01-2018, 11:06 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @stampbuyme Well then if she prefers history, then she should study history. When you dont study what you like it feels like something is missing and as you do more UL courses it gets harder.

You could consider a double major, or all free electives in history.

She did take a good deal of history courses, but overall, school is a check box for her.  Once it's done (just 1 DSST, 1 LL SL course, & the required 2 COSC classes), she will be free to explore/learn without annoying exams and deadlines.  The girl is a born learner, and school for her, though she is quite good at the "game," is not the most natural way to satisfy her "something missing."
CSU-Pueblo IS has an UL Business Stats course for $555 (last time I checked). More expensive, but you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 288 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 454 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 699 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 524 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 805 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 520 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 974 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 1,006 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New BSW From COSC Alpha 30 2,739 05-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Last Post: louise
  GetEducated.com Major Update (business degrees) freeloader 1 724 04-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Vle045