Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Concentration
Have any of you had a problem getting your Individualized Studies concentration approved from COSC ?

When I finish the last couple straighterline courses (English II and Business Comm) I will have 123 credit hours not counting the Cornerstone (currently taking) & the Capstone. I currently have 28 UL credits & counting the Capstone I will have 31.

I am putting together my concentration plan now for submittal. (Business Administration / Health & Human Performance)

Business Administration

Principles of Management - SL
Organizational Behavior - SL
Business Ethics -SL
Intro to Business - SL
Business Comm - SL
Capstone - COSC - UL

Health & Human Performance

Kinesiology - Previous College - UL
Exercise Physiology - Previous College - UL
Prin & Techniques of Conditioning - Previous College -UL
Wellness Program Management - Previous College-UL
Admin & Methods in Health Education - Previous College -UL
Community Health - Previous College

That would give me the 18 UL credit hours, and I can thoroughly explain how/why they all fit, but I was wondering how picky they were.
They are pretty darn liberal, but you may have an issue with the business concentration side. The dept. That governs all things business is quite particular. For this reason I chose organizational leadership as my concentration instead.

I would run it by run an advisor. Terrell Adgers (my pre enrollment counselor) helped me figure all this out before I enrolled.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Since you are currently enrolled in your Cornerstone, you should run it by your advisor. They should be able to tell you specifically if you are lacking something, etc.
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
AngelaP Wrote:Since you are currently enrolled in your Cornerstone, you should run it by your advisor. They should be able to tell you specifically if you are lacking something, etc.

I did, I just got a generic answer about filling out the form / writing the paper and seeing if it gets approved. I do not want to go through the entire process and then they tell me no.

I liked COSC a lot, but I have to say the service I have received so far has been a 6/10
I'm surprised as I had an awesome advisor. Are you questioning specific courses?
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
I was having trouble coming up with enough upper level credits at COSC...my advisor the late, great Doris Cassiday suggested a triple concentration...Psychology, History and English. She was great about coming up with things I didn't know were possible.
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
(05-28-2015, 08:09 AM)ZsaZsa Wrote: I was having trouble coming up with enough upper level credits at COSC...my advisor the late, great Doris Cassiday suggested a triple concentration...Psychology, History and English. She was great about coming up with things I didn't know were possible.

Hi, i know this is an old post but can you or anyone else explain why a double or triple concentration might help someone test out easier? Is it because the tests are easier to find or do they carry less UL credits?
It is because it may be difficult to find 18 upper level credits in one discipline, but you may, for example, be able to find 6 upper level credits in Psychology, 6 in History, and 6 in English.

Quote from COSC: "The number of credits and distribution by level consists of a minimum of 36 credits with a minimum of 18 at the upper level. The 18 upper level credits must represent a logical distribution from various disciplines in the concentration. The concentration needs to show breadth and depth in each subject area chosen."
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(08-23-2017, 08:47 AM)trinipirate Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 08:09 AM)ZsaZsa Wrote: I was having trouble coming up with enough upper level credits at COSC...my advisor the late, great Doris Cassiday suggested a triple concentration...Psychology, History and English. She was great about coming up with things I didn't know were possible.

Hi, i know this is an old post but can you or anyone else explain why a double or triple concentration might help someone test out easier? Is it because the tests are easier to find or do they carry less UL credits?

Many times, it's because people are coming in with credits already completed at a college (or 2 or 3) and they've changed majors once (or more), and have a kind of random distribution of credits, some UL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,672 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,704 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 2,998 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,401 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,795 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,795 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,220 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute