Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the forum, looking for some advice on BA CS vs BA Math
I have not applied to TESU yet, but I'm highly considering it due to my living situation and expenses.

I plan to either use a BA in Math or Computer Science as a stepping stone to apply for Oregon State's Post-Bacc CS Program or OMSCS at Georgia Tech. However I'm not sure which plan would take the least amount of time. Should I go with the math plan? If I complete the BA in Comp Sci I won't be able to apply for OSU since they do not allow applicants who already have a CS degree.

I found a degree plan for math here: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/degr...0627134051

I am also wondering if this plan is up to date. And lastly, is it fine with I complete SL and other testing credit before I apply? Thanks.
It appears Boston University has either postponed or discontinued the edX courses in math, which would have given you three of the required five upper level courses. Because of that, you will have to take five UL math courses at TESU or some other four-year school. Linear algebra, multivariable calc, and differential equations all count as UL credit if taken at a four year school. APU has a good selection of UL math classes including true UL math courses like real analysis. I think there are lots of options out there for UL math courses.

As far as TESU CS, the fastest plan has three MIS/cybersecurity exams which aren't good preparation for OMSCS or highly technical jobs. It also includes linear algebra which will be useful at OMSCS. It's very tough to find cheaper online CS courses that count as UL (honestly, I don't know where you could find any UL CS outside of TESU without spending more than TESU tuition). The UL CS TESU courses won't help much in surviving the tech interviews which is the most important factor in getting a job. TESU BA CS is ideal for experienced IT folks who just need a CS degree for HR purposes. On the other hand, I don't think it's great option for those who don't have a lot of IT job experience.

My signature has the degree plan I used to double major in CS and math. You might find it helpful.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:It appears Boston University has either postponed or discontinued the edX courses in math, which would have given you three of the required five upper level courses. Because of that, you will have to take five UL math courses at TESU or some other four-year school. Linear algebra, multivariable calc, and differential equations all count as UL credit if taken at a four year school. APU has a good selection of UL math classes including true UL math courses like real analysis. I think there are lots of options out there for UL math courses.

As far as TESU CS, the fastest plan has three MIS/cybersecurity exams which aren't good preparation for OMSCS or highly technical jobs. It also includes linear algebra which will be useful at OMSCS. It's very tough to find cheaper online CS courses that count as UL (honestly, I don't know where you could find any UL CS outside of TESU without spending more than TESU tuition). The UL CS TESU courses won't help much in surviving the tech interviews which is the most important factor in getting a job. TESU BA CS is ideal for experienced IT folks who just need a CS degree for HR purposes. On the other hand, I don't think it's great option for those who don't have a lot of IT job experience.

My signature has the degree plan I used to double major in CS and math. You might find it helpful.

Okay, so I'm maybe leaning towards BA Math as I think that gives me the best chance at applying for either OSU post-bacc or OMSCS. I'm also doing supplementary online edX courses for CS on the side. I just need the TESU Math degree to get me a foot in the door.

As for needing to take 5 UL courses at TESU or at another college, that won't be a problem. The main selling point to me is completing all Gen Ed classes and some UL classes by testing out or SL. I took a look at your plan, what were the 3 differential equation courses you did for Boston edX?

I already completed a Calculus I course at a 4 year university, would that count as UL credit? Would taking the 5 required math courses at a four year school also count? Also is there a recent degree plan for Gen Ed requirements or would I need to make that myself?
TrailRunr Wrote:As far as TESU CS, the fastest plan has three MIS/cybersecurity exams which aren't good preparation for OMSCS or highly technical jobs. It also includes linear algebra which will be useful at OMSCS. It's very tough to find cheaper online CS courses that count as UL (honestly, I don't know where you could find any UL CS outside of TESU without spending more than TESU tuition).
Athabasca - great time to take advantage of the weak Canadian dollar. $771 per 3 credit course at today's exchange rate. They have 40 self-paced Comp Sci courses available last time I checked.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

zabimaru1000 Wrote:I already completed a Calculus I course at a 4 year university, would that count as UL credit? Would taking the 5 required math courses at a four year school also count? Also is there a recent degree plan for Gen Ed requirements or would I need to make that myself?

The calc 1 and 2 courses are not UL regardless of where you took it. After calc 1 and calc 2, the difficulty of math courses goes way up and becomes much more abstract. You can take the five required UL courses at another 4-year school as long as you're prepared to pay the $2k residency waiver fee at graduation.

Someone else more well versed with GE can assist you with GE requirements. I did not complete any GE for my TESU degree (2nd bachelors) so I'm not the best person to ask.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Given your grad school plans, make sure you take Discrete Math as well. I think getting a math degree is a good move- in addition to the intellectual challenge, it gives you some career flexibility as well.
The Oregon Post-Bacc program is expensive and takes a quite a bit of time. I'd go for either of the TESU BA Math or BACS, and take courses at a local brick and mortar to fulfill the UL CS requirements. OMSCS will take you so long as you have a Bachelor's and the proper CS courses and/or experience. Most employers won't care about your degree as much as how you do on the interview.

You might also look at Computer science - Fort Hays State University. I have no experience or information beyond what they have on their website. They might be a source of UL CS credits or even your whole degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,936 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,073 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  TESU BA MATH plan - feedback appreciated MeOldChina 8 2,854 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: MeOldChina
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,386 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,355 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 2,950 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,319 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior Math Reqs Iamtehking 1 1,164 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Kima