Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC Individualised Studies Question
After a bunch of bad life events and spending the last 2.5 years at my new management job, I've decided to finish my bachelor's. I should graduate from Pierpont in December, and I have to pay for the Capstone and associated fees out of pocket, so I'll need time to save for that.

To speed along my graduation I want to switch my major to Individualised Studies and do Business/English. My question for those that have gone that route: how many upper level credits do I need in the second Business concentration? I have 15 or so upper level English credits already. I was thinking 9 in Business should do it. Does that sound right?

And do I need lower level Business courses as well, or should the upper level credits be sufficient? It's not super helpful in the catalog description of the degree.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
It doesn't say on their webpage, weird. But Liberal Studies indicate you will need 18 UL for each concentration.
Link 1 is for Individualized Studies, Link 2 is for Liberal Studies, it's basically the same thing.
Link 1: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php
Link 2: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php

Scrap that, it's 18 UL for the entire concentration. I read that too quickly.
So, if you use 15 UL for English, you just need 3 credits UL for the other.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You need 30UL credits which includes your capstone. Also 36 credits (18 UL) between your two AOS including the capstone. So 15 UL English, 12 UL Business, and 3 UL Capstone would take care of the UL requirement. Remember the 30 total UL credits can be a mix of AOS and liberal arts. But I believe you need at least 6 UL credits in an AOS to justify your AOS for the cornerstone.
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment
(07-30-2018, 11:41 AM)alram Wrote: You need 30UL credits which includes your capstone. Also 36 credits (18 UL) between your two AOS including the capstone. So 15 UL English, 12 UL Business, and 3 UL Capstone would take care of the UL requirement. Remember the 30 total UL credits can be a mix of AOS and liberal arts. But I believe you need at least 6 UL credits in an AOS to justify your AOS for the cornerstone.

I remembered seeing 30UL somewhere. I knew 18 was too good to be true lol. I just knew for a fact that I'd always be an English major and that my life plans would never change, so I never looked into it too hard. Yeah right. I was wrong on that one.

I've already taken the cornerstone, so I hope they don't give me trouble about changing my major when I reapply.

I'm going to scoop up the lower level enterepeneaurship course from study.com and then UExcel for the remaining three courses. I don't have the patience to wait for them to grade papers and whatnot at study.com for an upper level course. Even if it is more convenient.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
I can't be sure but I believe there was a fee for changing your concentration/major. I used uexcel for business and psychology as well. It was better than take a class(pre Study.com, ...etc). The business capstone Bus-499 is an 8 week course and Individualized study business capstone ISB-498 is 5 weeks and 499 is 10 weeks. Going the Individualized Study route will be an extra 7 weeks and which may or may not make a difference to you but it's something to think about.
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
(07-30-2018, 01:22 PM)alram Wrote: I can't be sure but I believe there was a fee for changing your concentration/major. I used uexcel for business and psychology as well. It was better than take a class(pre Study.com, ...etc). The business capstone Bus-499 is an 8 week course and Individualized study business capstone ISB-498 is 5 weeks and 499 is 10 weeks. Going the Individualized Study route will be an extra 7 weeks and which may or may not make a difference to you but it's something to think about.

Surely they won't charge a fee if I'm reapplying after two years? I guess stranger things have happened.

7 additional weeks doesn't bother me, but I'm a little confused by how all this works at COSC. I have to take two capstones? So, I'll have to pay for an additional course? The major change fee doesn't bother me too much, but it is stupid if I have to pay COSC for another course and I'm not doing it. I have mostly English UL, shouldn't I take ISE or something instead? Or is that a third course I have to pay for?

Nevermind, I see they're 1 and 2 credits. I just can't think about money anymore lol. I'm driving myself nuts as it is.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
I just had a chat Nancy at cosc. There is no fee for changing majors and one cornerstone is enough!
CLEP
DSST
ECE
Kaplan
[-] The following 1 user Likes alram's post:
  • Tedium
(07-30-2018, 01:55 PM)alram Wrote: I just had a chat Nancy at cosc. There is no fee for changing majors and one cornerstone is enough!

Holy cow, you're amazing! Thank you so much for checking up on that for me! Two less things to worry about.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
"I have mostly English UL, shouldn't I take ISE or something instead? "

There's a Liberal Studies History/Humanities, Liberal Studies Math/Science/ Technology, and Liberal Studies Social/Behavioral Science but both AOS need to be in liberal arts.

" Some sample combinations are:"

Literature/Religion
Music/Literature/Art
History/Political Science
Political Science/Geography
Biology/Chemistry
Physics/Geology
Literature/Sociology
Psychology/Sociology
Literature/Psychology/History
Biology/Sociology
Chemistry/Biology/History

Individualized studies is for combining two or three professional AOS or professional and liberal arts AOS. The Individualized Studies capstone are Social/Behavioral Science, Math/Science/Technology, and Business.

"Some sample combinations are:"

Psychology/Legal Studies
Journalism/Literature
Environmental Science/Biology
Business/Political Science
Political Science/Legal Studies
Biotechnology/Business
Business/Communications
Nursing/Communications/Business
CLEP
DSST
ECE
Kaplan
I am still confused about the Capstone for the Individualised studies. So if I planned a degree combining science and business, would I take the Capstone in one of the two (of my choice?) or in both?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,778 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,618 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,957 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin