Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions - Best Place to take EC's Info Literacy Course Requirement
Hi All...While I'm dithering about what course to substitute for my dreaded and seemingly impossible to succeed at UExcel Research Methods exam banghead, I thought I'd get EC's Info Literacy requirement out of the way. EC offers its own course, but I'm looking for another acceptable option (one with no specific start time if possible). I'm not familiar with Penn Foster, but see they offer an IL course, as I'm sure do other institutions...Any opinions as to the best (which means EASIEST Big Grin) choice is greatly appreciated!
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
I think they recently changed the policy so that now you have to take solely from Excelsior- sort of like the Cornerstone class from COSC, but only one credit.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, though, because I understand the PF class was quite a bargain.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Since you are enrolled, would you please ask if LSU is still accepted?

I thought the Penn Foster change might just be enforcing the "regional accreditation" policy for Info Lit. Even if that is the case, I thought they would still accept other Info Lit courses, like LSU. If so, just compare the pros and cons of each course option (cost, ease of access, etc.).
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
It depends, the INL course is a single credit course and costs the full price for the credit. I took CCS 120 which had the INL credit built into it. They won't take INL from anywhere else since its basically how to use their Library system and can be done with fairly little effort. It is of course an additional expense to your degree through Excelsior since CCS 120 is a social science course with the INL included I eliminated a requirement and got three credits for the course in addition. I had to request them to review the way they assigned the credit on the transcript in order for it to happen the way it was initially explained to me.
The policies have changed, since I took it. The ones that are currently posted in the Liberal Arts catalog and below do not exclude transfer courses.

Excelsior College | Information Literacy Requirement

Excelsior College | General Education Requirements

If anyone gets more information about this, since there can be a delay in updating the website, please let us know.

If transferring is still an option, I remember someone used a course from a local community college several years ago.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

If you're worried about the course being challenging, don't be. I took Excelsior's "course". Grading was solely based on the final quiz. I skipped straight to it and was done in one day. No discussion board posts, no assignments. Easy. Main downside is that their classes are expensive but that isn't a factor for me since I'm using VA benefits.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
For future readers, this thread has some additional info on this topic:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...eracy.html

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Just a FYI - I need the Excelsior IL course in about 4 hours... easy peasy if you know how to use the internet Smile
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,226 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,959 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,714 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,549 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  TESU - Free Ethics Course/ Upper-Level vs Ethics Requirement Silly_Me 12 3,188 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  To CLEP the Survey of Lit II requirement: are the optional essays really optional? leland.kirk 2 1,220 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  TESU Cornerstone - cheapest way to satisfy requirement? Silly_Me 7 1,657 04-14-2018, 11:40 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,550 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  TESU Diversity Requirement? YeaStudy 5 1,820 04-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  A&I literature Information Literacy TESU fork 5 1,697 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: fork