Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is ASU Online now self-paced?
Is ASU Online now self-paced?  I was in one of their online degree (Film) programs some years ago, but dropped out because I had trouble meeting their weekly schedule. In some of the classes, the teacher required the students work in "groups", which were impossible to organize.  We were going to school online because our lives already had tight schedules. Looking at their website, it looks like they might offer self-paced degrees now, but I am not sure. If I could work at my own pace, that would be better.
I don't think ASU degrees are now self-paced, but some of ASU's Universal Learner classes are self-paced. Not all of them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • pluggingalong
They aren't self-paced:
https://asuonline.asu.edu/newsroom/asu-o...formation/

Quote:ASU Online classes are compressed into two, 7.5-week sessions during the spring and fall semesters, and 6-week sessions during summer. They operate on a different calendar than traditional on-campus courses, which are 15 weeks in length.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • pluggingalong
(09-19-2022, 11:15 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't think ASU degrees are now self-paced, but some of ASU's Universal Learner classes are self-paced. Not all of them.

I have been reading about their "Universal Learner" program, but still don't understand what it is.  It looks like a way to take courses in order to get accepted in to ASU.  Or maybe the courses replace some of the original core courses. Or maybe something for employers, high-schoolers, or foreign students. Well, whatever it is, it isn't a self-paced degree.
The UL classes are inexpensive (mostly gen ed) classes that anyone can take, whether or not they (already) attend ASU. For students who want an ASU degree, it can be a good way to get ASU credits for much less than the typical cost. For students who want a degree from another school, they're a relatively cheap source of RA credits at approximately $142/credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Arto, pluggingalong
The ASU online is supposed to be similar to the work required for the butt-in-seat courses.

This would mean each class might be around 100 hours of work. I have seen some student reports of people having trouble keeping up with the workload required.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(09-19-2022, 03:00 PM)LevelUP Wrote: The ASU online is supposed to be similar to the work required for the butt-in-seat courses.

This would mean each class might be around 100 hours of work. I have seen some student reports of people having trouble keeping up with the workload required.

I took English Comp 1 from them and it was a LOT of writing.   I cannot imagine having to do it with my schedule on an 8 week timeline.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 2 users Like NC Coach's post:
  • Arto, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,694 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Are there any online colleges with recorded or live video lectures? whiverem 15 968 11-17-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  New Liberty University Online Degree plan LevelUP 3 1,157 06-15-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What are the best online colleges? whiverem 10 1,175 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of North Alabama online BBA ReyMysterioso 2 774 05-15-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Self-paced online that uses physical textbooks? pluggingalong 6 1,127 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 796 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,391 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Drexel University - Certificate in Leadership ($199 Online) w/Certificate attached Life Long Learning 23 4,327 01-10-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
Lightbulb Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org) MNomadic 123 18,232 10-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Last Post: MNomadic