Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COSC Shmoop BS Evaluations
Photo 
I know there's been a lot of questions about how Excelsior or COSC will evaluate Shmoop Credits now that TESU has indefinitely suspended them. I sent in a Shmoop-heavy ACE transcript to COSC, and got my evaluation back today, which for informational purposes, I will gladly share with the forum. The current evaluation is for General Studies with a concentration in Organizational Leadership. 

Notably, they did not accept Intro to Physics as a natural science, putting it in the Free Electives instead. I was hoping this would satisfy the second Natural Science requirement. I will petition them to re-slot it to see what they say. I was hopeful they would slot Professional Writing into the second written requirement so I wouldn't have to spend money on English Comp II, but I figured that was a longshot, and I gotta knock that out. (Fortunately, I'm a professional writer by trade, so at least it won't be a beast.)

They did accept Shmoop Statistics for Math, which surprised me as threads here had indicated in the past, none of Shmoop's math courses would be accepted as COSC math. I wasted money/effort taking Straighterline Business Statistics because I thought the Shmoop math wouldn't cut it. I a little miffed about that. I HATE math! Gah!

They accepted Intro to Art History, Comparative Government, Psychology 101, and American National Government to fulfill required Gen Ed slots, which makes it all the more puzzling Physics was not accepted for the second Science.

I took several additional Shmoop courses in between when I sent this transcript and now. I'm waiting for the courses to be approved to my ACE transcript, which I will then submit to Excelsior. I'll also re-submit the additional courses to COSC. When the Excelsior and second COSC evaluations come back, I'll be happy to share with the forum. 

On a side-note, I'm also heavily leaning toward switching my concentration to Communications or possibly English/Communications dual, contingent on whether they'll accept Study.com upper-level marketing courses to satisfy the concentration requirements and make it cheaper/easier to grab that sheepskin. Hope this information is useful to someone else who's not sure what to do with their Shmoop credits.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_44_42_AM.png] [Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_44_51_AM.png] [Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_44_57_AM.png] [Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_45_03_AM.png]

Actually, I just realized the Intro to Physics was a two-credit course. Not 3. That's probably why it didn't fill the slot. D'oh!!
[-] The following 3 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Doodlebabe, ISKBizz15, Murdockb
(06-14-2018, 10:16 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: I know there's been a lot of questions about how Excelsior or COSC will evaluate Shmoop Credits now that TESU has indefinitely suspended them. I sent in a Shmoop-heavy ACE transcript to COSC, and got my evaluation back today, which for informational purposes, I will gladly share with the forum. The current evaluation is for General Studies with a concentration in Organizational Leadership. 

Notably, they did not accept Intro to Physics as a natural science, putting it in the Free Electives instead. I was hoping this would satisfy the second Natural Science requirement. I will petition them to re-slot it to see what they say. I was hopeful they would slot Professional Writing into the second written requirement so I wouldn't have to spend money on English Comp II, but I figured that was a longshot, and I gotta knock that out. (Fortunately, I'm a professional writer by trade, so at least it won't be a beast.)

They did accept Shmoop Statistics for Math, which surprised me as threads here had indicated in the past, none of Shmoop's math courses would be accepted as COSC math. I wasted money/effort taking Straighterline Business Statistics because I thought the Shmoop math wouldn't cut it. I a little miffed about that. I HATE math! Gah!

They accepted Intro to Art History, Comparative Government, Psychology 101, and American National Government to fulfill required Gen Ed slots, which makes it all the more puzzling Physics was not accepted for the second Science.

I took several additional Shmoop courses in between when I sent this transcript and now. I'm waiting for the courses to be approved to my ACE transcript, which I will then submit to Excelsior. I'll also re-submit the additional courses to COSC. When the Excelsior and second COSC evaluations come back, I'll be happy to share with the forum. 

On a side-note, I'm also heavily leaning toward switching my concentration to Communications or possibly English/Communications dual, contingent on whether they'll accept Study.com upper-level marketing courses to satisfy the concentration requirements and make it cheaper/easier to grab that sheepskin. Hope this information is useful to someone else who's not sure what to do with their Shmoop credits.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_44_42_AM.png] [Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_44_51_AM.png] [Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_44_57_AM.png] [Image: Screen_Shot_2018_06_14_at_9_45_03_AM.png]

Actually, I just realized the Intro to Physics was a two-credit course. Not 3. That's probably why it didn't fill the slot. D'oh!!

How long did your evaluation take for COSC to review?
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

Less than seven days. Ordered electronic ACE transcript delivery June 7, at 3:16 pm. Got my evaluations 9:25am June 13th.
Thank you for posting. Very helpful!
It might be worth noting that for whatever reason, Business Ethics from SL.com came in as Upper Level. That surprised me, and I have no idea why....but I'm certainly not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Murdockb, suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,454 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,047 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,302 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU- Shmoop hrriggs03 2 1,422 08-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: katelynn
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 2,966 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Wait, TESU or COSC? I need to commit NOW. Help! kietro 7 2,376 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kietro
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,792 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,793 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98