Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options to complete my degree?
Hey everyone, been a while since I read up on anything here. My studies this year have not been good due to various work and family related stuff but i'm ready to get back on track.
I am still enrolled at Patten but have not been happy with their courses, the early courses are OK and the system is fine, but there seems to be many issues on the Psych courses. There are questions in the tests that have nothing to do with the material and it is very frustrating.

I am considering switching over to one of the big three, TESU always seemed like the better choice but i'm not sure how things have changed this last year. There is a new cornerstone? and capstone? what are the costs now? residency?
I can't do CLEP tests so I need to stick to online courses because i'm in ASIA.
I would like to maybe do Social Science degree or would take a Liberal Studies if it was quicker/cheaper/easier.

Edited to add: Study.com have 2 upper level History courses, could these be used for Social Science at TESU?

My credits:

Aleks credits (15 or 12?)
Beginning Algebra
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
Introduction to Statistics
Trigonometry

The Institutes (2)
Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course)

Kaplan (3)
Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit:

NFA (3)
Fire Service Supervision: Self Study
Hydraulic Calculations for Water-Based Fire Protection Systems Plan Review
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators

SOPHIA (12)
Introduction to Art History
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Visual Communications

StraighterLine (27)
Cultural Anthropology
English Composition I
English Composition II
Introduction to Biology
Introduction to Communication
Introduction to Environmental Science
Introduction to Philosophy
Introduction to Programming in C++
Introduction to Religion

TEEX (3 or 6?)
Cyber Security for Business Professionals
Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber Security for IT Professionals

PATTEN (24)
PSS100 Academic Strategies
PSY355 Child Growth and Development
ENG204 Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing, and Research
PSY421 Social Psychology
PSY312 Lifespan Development
POL241 American Government
PSY322 Personality Theories
PSY302 Learning Theory
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
take a look at this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...nsfer.html
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

TESU has changed their majors this year, so they no longer have a SocSci major - they have a general BA in Liberal Studies (BALS), a BALS with a concentration in SocSci, and a BALS with a concentration in Psych if you want. They also have a BA in Psych. (the BALS with a Psych concentration is similar but has fewer requirements).

I'm attaching my spreadsheet for you, to show where you lie for both the BALS SS and BALS General. It would be the same price to do either one, it's just a matter of having a little bit more flexibility for the BALS, but it's not a huge deal since you already have 4 out of 5 UL courses completed, and 2 out of 5 LL courses completed in the AOS (and could probably move a couple more courses from Gen Ed to the AOS if you did the general one).

I think the best bet for you to get your UL course is Study.com:

SocSci or General
Organizational Behavior
Abnormal Psych
Research Methods in Psych
History of the Vietnam War

BALS General only
Business Comm

BALS Psych
Abnormal Psych (required)

Also required for the BALS Psych would be:
History & Systems of Psych (TCC or Uof Idaho IS)
Organizational Theory (CSU-Global CBE)

Once you decide which way to go with your degree, and you decide which UL course to take you should take at least 1 additional course through Study.com since you're already paying for it anyway ($199/mo includes 2 exams).

The remaining courses can be taken through various means: Saylor, SL, Study.com TECEP, etc. All online. Then the Capstone (online through TESU), and possibly the Cornerstone ($300, also online), and then you have to pay an additional Residency Waiver fee of $2,000 when you get ready to graduate.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">socsci TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 47.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks Andy I will have a look.
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
dfrecore Wrote:TESU has changed their majors this year, so they no longer have a SocSci major - they have a general BA in Liberal Studies (BALS), a BALS with a concentration in SocSci, and a BALS with a concentration in Psych if you want.

Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare a spreadsheet. It has made everything very clear. Smile

The old SocSci concentration needed more than one area of study. Is it ok to use all psych for the BALS SocSci?

Do education courses fall under free electives or liberal studies? There are some courses on study.com I would like to take.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,228 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,363 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,684 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,900 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,786 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,035 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,340 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627