Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC bad rep? TESU shooting self in foot?
Skimming the boards lately.

I noticed that COSC has the ‘worst’ reputation on the board(I know some of you guys will deny this). At the very least it’s looked down upon compared to TESU and Excelsior. Like the black sheep of the big three. Why? 

Is TESU screwing itself by every few years changing requirements and making it more expensive to graduate there. Why do you guys think they keep doing this? What will be the fall out?
What makes you say COSC has the "worst" reputation?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • harrypotter
As far as I know, all Colleges and Universities in the US change requirements and increase prices. TESU is no different in that respect.

Still degree requirements need to be updated and costs increase through the years. There is no way of keeping an Educational
Institution open without those changes.
From what I've read so far, I want to stay pretty far away from TESU and it's pushing me towards COSC. What specifically are you referring to?
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
I've not noticed that COSC has a bad reputation on this board, quite the contrary (and I've been on here since 2011, maybe earlier).  The popularity of the Big 3 changes at times (when I first started here, I think EC was the most "popular" of them), but it has more to do with things like ease of completing degree requirements and cost, and almost nothing to do with whether it's a "good" school or not.

Right now, TESU is the most expensive of the Big 3, but it's saved by a couple of things: 1) they require fewer UL credits than the others; 2) their BSBA is ACBSP-Accredited; and 3) their degree requirements for most degrees are more clearly laid out than the others.

Cost is an issue though, and I do think that they may end up losing a lot of our business (forum students) due to that at some point.  But as far as shooting themselves in the foot, I think they're more apt to do so with their terrible customer service.  Costs will go up and down at all of the schools pretty regularly, degree requirements can change.  But customer service is not something they can overcome in the long run (IMHO).  

There is nothing wrong with COSC at all (or EC), it's just harder to figure out the requirements so fewer people use them.  Since we know so much about TESU at this point, it's much easier to plan a degree at TESU.  This doesn't mean that it couldn't change though, and that people will start using COSC more (I'm leaning toward COSC for my own child in the future).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake, topdog98
(03-08-2019, 11:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I've not noticed that COSC has a bad reputation on this board, quite the contrary (and I've been on here since 2011, maybe earlier).  The popularity of the Big 3 changes at times (when I first started here, I think EC was the most "popular" of them), but it has more to do with things like ease of completing degree requirements and cost, and almost nothing to do with whether it's a "good" school or not.

Right now, TESU is the most expensive of the Big 3, but it's saved by a couple of things: 1) they require fewer UL credits than the others; 2) their BSBA is ACBSP-Accredited; and 3) their degree requirements for most degrees are more clearly laid out than the others.

Cost is an issue though, and I do think that they may end up losing a lot of our business (forum students) due to that at some point.  But as far as shooting themselves in the foot, I think they're more apt to do so with their terrible customer service.  Costs will go up and down at all of the schools pretty regularly, degree requirements can change.  But customer service is not something they can overcome in the long run (IMHO).  

There is nothing wrong with COSC at all (or EC), it's just harder to figure out the requirements so fewer people use them.  Since we know so much about TESU at this point, it's much easier to plan a degree at TESU.  This doesn't mean that it couldn't change though, and that people will start using COSC more (I'm leaning toward COSC for my own child in the future).

What makes it so difficult to figure out a degree plan for COSC? By the way, is TESU's customer service really that awful?
I have also read a bunch of people talking about bad customer service from TESU. I have only called them on the phone twice, and then the rest of the time it's been by email (for the past year). Each time I communicate by email, I get a fast, thorough, really helpful response. The two times i called, I got a very rude and unhelpful response. So I would recommend people always use email!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mab81's post:
  • suzycupcake
(03-08-2019, 11:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I've not noticed that COSC has a bad reputation on this board, quite the contrary (and I've been on here since 2011, maybe earlier).  The popularity of the Big 3 changes at times (when I first started here, I think EC was the most "popular" of them), but it has more to do with things like ease of completing degree requirements and cost, and almost nothing to do with whether it's a "good" school or not.

Do you think it would be worth it or stupid to go to TESU, just for the name?
I agree with dfrecore. If you have been here a long time, COSC doesn't have a bad reputation. Maybe you have just seen some recent complaints and are interpreting it as generally a bad reputation. Of the Big 3, they actually tend to be seen as the easiest school to work with. COSC was my choice so I find the degree requirements to be much easier to figure out than TESU. It all comes down to familiarity.

TESU by far has the most students here, so they must have done something right over the years. TESU changes things around the most, and this frustrates people. People also are sometimes frustrated by their customer service. But repeating myself, a large majority of people here go with TESU and successfully graduate, so something has definitely worked in their favor. Excelsior was a bigger dog here in the past, but recently, Excelsior doesn't get much attention around here (good or bad).
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(03-09-2019, 08:55 AM)White_Walker Wrote: By the way, is TESU's customer service really that awful?

Yes, sometimes. At times, they will give completely wrong information. A student could get 3 different answers to the same question.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,351 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 941 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,599 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,333 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,162 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,626 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 968 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,113 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
  TESU BACS v.s. SNHU BSCS npvn2 25 4,053 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: npvn2
  Colleges like TESU which allows enrolment of one year without obligation? FrHaseKopf 9 1,299 02-12-2022, 12:55 AM