Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC no longer accepts Coopersmith and others
(01-24-2020, 10:13 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Well that's what you keep get when people keep posting to the forum "oh just learn a PowerPoint and you'll pass for sure!" if I were at Charter Oak and was on the forum reading that, I would do the same.

You think people would learn over the years what you can and can't say on a forum. Seriously.

Yep. That's what ****** up Shmoop for us, guaranteed. All the people who want to brag about how fast they complete these classes and how little they tried are screwing everyone else.

The people from the Big 3 read this forum, smarten up some.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Likewise, ALEKS now being a completely different setup was likely for similar reasons.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
So what the hell do people starting from or almost from scratch supposed to do in this situation? Just keep working your ass off on the hope and prayer these institutions don't banish a bunch of credits you've strove and paid good money for?
....And the bragging is obviously a culprit. I loathe the people that make those posts and it's nonsense because the types of people who brag are also the type of people who are generally completely full of shit. I surely don't find any of this easy. I read those posts and I think "Man, you are an IDIOT!!!" (Actually my words are much stronger than that)
The people who go fast either already have domain knowledge in the course and are truly just "testing out", or they are just very good at cramming. People do the same thing in regular college courses, sometimes barely bothering to attend, it just doesn't stick out because they have to wait for the rest of the class before turning in the next paper or exam.

Anyway, the only way to protect yourself is to send transcripts in more frequently so that your courses get onto your transcript before the school has a chance to change their minds.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • Muldoon, suzycupcake, udi
Hi @davewill
Thanks for your reply. Bear with me, this is a part of this whole thing I don't understand, I just figured I'd get a some credit under my belt before worrying about it.
So you don't have to be enrolled and paying the school money to send in your credits to them and have it on your...transcript? Or to call them up and speak to an advisor about what transfer course fits where and the like? Or to set up a degree plan that once set it won't be renegged by the school?
If that's the case I'll be signing up for a school ASAP and sending in each course after it's finished.
Sorry I've never done post-secondary education, and while I have tried to find this kind of info on here it has eluded me.
(01-24-2020, 07:01 PM)ARhead Wrote: Hi @davewill
Thanks for your reply. Bear with me, this is a part of this whole thing I don't understand, I just figured I'd get a some credit under my belt before worrying about it.
So you don't have to be enrolled and paying the school money to send in your credits to them and have it on your...transcript? Or to call them up and speak to an advisor about what transfer course fits where and the like? Or to set up a degree plan that once set it won't be renegged by the school?
If that's the case I'll be signing up for a school ASAP and sending in each course after it's finished.
Sorry I've never done post-secondary education, and while I have tried to find this kind of info on here it has eluded me.

So, you won't want to work it this way with all of the Big 3, as they charge per-term fees at COSC, and an annual fee at EC.  TESU is the only one where it's free to enroll, and then if you want to stay enrolled, you can take a TECEP exam for $150 (one that counts towards your degree) once a year.  The good thing is that you can "lock in" your catalog, meaning they won't get rid of your degree, and any courses you get put onto your evaluation are set in stone.

Otherwise, you're taking a chance.  BUT, you pay for the privilege - TESU is about $2500 more than COSC.  So, it's up to you how you handle it.

One way might be to enroll at TESU, and create your degree plan for them, as well as one for COSC and/or EC.  Take courses that will fit into both plans.  Put everything on your TESU account (you probably don't want to do it each course, since it costs money to send transcripts - instead, do it a few times a year).  Then, when you're much closer to graduating, determine if you want to stick with TESU, or switch to COSC/EC.  The closer it is to finishing, the easier it will be to make the decision.

No, you won't want to contact the school(s) to find out what fits where - you are DIYing your degree here, and your best bet is to learn where everything fits and make sure you're putting things in the correct place based on the knowledge you gain here on this forum.  I personally make degree plans all the time, and I get to see the results of many evals, and I am pretty darn close most of the time (probably greater than 90%).  I learned it all over many years on here.  The schools aren't here to help you get credit outside of their school - they make their money by you taking classes THERE.  So don't count on them being helpful.  Instead, count on learning how to do it yourself, and being flexible with your plans as things change over time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ARhead, suzycupcake
I’m just hoping that TESU doesn’t follow Charter on this path.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
Here's one:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid299046

And I quote "You get a crash course powerpoint that has everything on the exam right in it. It's really a study and pass kind of thing"

Now imagine I were from COSC reading that...

I also remember someone mentioning some of the essays they wrote were 2-3 lines or something like that...

I don't blame COSC to be honest.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • ARhead
(01-24-2020, 08:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ... as they charge per-term fees at COSC, and an annual fee at EC.  TESU is the only one where it's free to enroll, and then if you want to stay enrolled, you can take a TECEP exam for $150 (one that counts towards your degree) once a year. ..

> TESU is the only one where it's free to enroll        

but you have to pay the $50 application fee           

> and then if you want to stay enrolled, you can take a TECEP exam for $150 (one that counts towards your degree) once a year. ..

wait wait wait ... really ?

it says here 
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition
"Students registering for fewer than 10 credits per term will continue to be enrolled under Per Credit Tuition. "

and under per credit tuition it says  
https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/per-credit

* Credit Hour Residency Requirement
Students who use Per Credit Tuition (excluding those who enroll under a military plan) with the intention of earning an associates or bachelor’s degree from Thomas Edison State University must complete 16 credits via Thomas Edison State University Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses. This requirement may be waived by paying the Residency Waiver fee.

an the Residency Waiver fee is $2800 

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees
NOTE: The Credit Hour Residency Waiver fee is a one-time fee that only applies to students who do not earn at least 16 credits via the University’s Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses before they complete their degree or undergraduate certificate. If a student pays the fee, and does not apply for graduation within 12 months, they will be required to pay additional credit hour residency waiver fees.

but you're saying you only have to pay $150 per year ?
Quote:an the Residency Waiver fee is $2800

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees
NOTE: The Credit Hour Residency Waiver fee is a one-time fee that only applies to students who do not earn at least 16 credits via the University’s Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses before they complete their degree or undergraduate certificate. If a student pays the fee, and does not apply for graduation within 12 months, they will be required to pay additional credit hour residency waiver fees.

but you're saying you only have to pay $150 per year ?

My understanding is that you only pay that when you apply to graduate. If you don't finish your degree / never apply to graduate, there's no residency waiver fee.

(01-24-2020, 06:24 PM)ARhead Wrote: So what the hell do people starting from or almost from scratch supposed to do in this situation? Just keep working your ass off on the hope and prayer these institutions don't banish a bunch of credits you've strove and paid good money for?
....And the bragging is obviously a culprit. I loathe the people that make those posts and it's nonsense because the types of people who brag are also the type of people who are generally completely full of shit. I surely don't find any of this easy. I read those posts and I think "Man, you are an IDIOT!!!" (Actually my words are much stronger than that)

My transcript says otherwise. ...

I felt like all of the alternative credits were much lower effort than taking actual courses when I was in college. Even things like CLEP which have been around for decades.

This isn't just a cost thing, aren't most people pursuing these alternative credits because of the time and effort required to earn them?

I never intended to brag, I just share. You would prefer people keep the information to themselves? I would have been annoyed if there were options available and people never shared them because then I would not have had the opportunity to take advantage of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,683 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,165 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso