Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC no longer accepts Coopersmith and others
davewill Wrote:The people who go fast either already have domain knowledge in the course and are truly just "testing out", or they are just very good at cramming. People do the same thing in regular college courses, sometimes barely bothering to attend, it just doesn't stick out because they have to wait for the rest of the class before turning in the next paper or exam.

Anyway, the only way to protect yourself is to send transcripts in more frequently so that your courses get onto your transcript before the school has a chance to change their minds.

This is exactly it, davewill is right on the dot! I would explain it the same way, the only method to make sure your course is transferable is to send it to ACE to bank the credits or if it's NCCRS, send it directly to the school more frequently.

Not all alternative providers are treated equally, if you looked at the updated list of providers, all 4 are NCCRS. The Big 3/WGU and other schools are making changes to adapt to the ever revolving marketplace. They may review what's on this board and the sister board, but they also do their internal reviews.

I mean, I talk so much about StraighterLine being #1 on my list of providers and how easy it is to pass - nothing has changed for them. Just recently, I changed my rankings and Study.com has toppled SL to take #1 as they offer Upper Level for cheap. SL still remains highly recommend on my list for LL even though it's now my #2 recommended provider.

Back in the day, when you can transfer all 120 credits, I didn't even think of the Big 3 as I thought them more of Degree Mill'ish as you don't need to do any "work" at the school and can graduate that easily. I finally looked at them more in 2012 when they introduced the Capstones to make them "more legit" or more like a traditional college/university.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Dfrecore: Thanks so much for your very informative post.

tjguitar: Your complete lack of awareness and lack of care for fellow forum members is astounding and contemptible. People like you are the reason this thread exists.
(01-25-2020, 12:46 PM)ARhead Wrote: Dfrecore: Thanks so much for your very informative post.

tjguitar: Your complete lack of awareness and lack of care for fellow forum members is astounding and contemptible. People like you are the reason this thread exists.

ARhead: 

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. I don't know why people want to feel entitled to having low effort and/or dirt cheap college credits. Study.com used to not limit you to 5 courses per month, would it be nice if they didn't have that rule in place when i was doing it, of cousre it would have, it would have saved me some $$ and time, but they didn't, so you just roll with the rules at the time that you are pursuing it.

You used to be able to TECEP out of the TESU capstone, do I wish I could have done that? Of course I do. But that's not an option, so i have to take the actual course or be content without the 2nd degree.

Certainly take advantage of whatever you can while you can, but don't get pissed at people for spreading the word about the opportunities that are available. I am so thankful for the information on this forum because I would not have bothered pursuing the credits I did if I had to pay full price and make the time commitment of traditional university courses.

Even with these forums sharing information, the vast majority of people still aren't going to be aware of these options, but you can't blame the universities for taking steps that avoid reputations. With Saylor losing ACE recommendations, maybe ACE and NCCRS are becoming more stringent too, can't say I blame them.

(01-25-2020, 12:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
davewill Wrote:The people who go fast either already have domain knowledge in the course and are truly just "testing out", or they are just very good at cramming. People do the same thing in regular college courses, sometimes barely bothering to attend, it just doesn't stick out because they have to wait for the rest of the class before turning in the next paper or exam.

Anyway, the only way to protect yourself is to send transcripts in more frequently so that your courses get onto your transcript before the school has a chance to change their minds.

This is exactly it, davewill is right on the dot!  I would explain it the same way, the only method to make sure your course is transferable is to send it to ACE to bank the credits or if it's NCCRS, send it directly to the school more frequently.

Not all alternative providers are treated equally, if you looked at the updated list of providers, all 4 are NCCRS.  The Big 3/WGU and other schools are making changes to adapt to the ever revolving marketplace.  They may review what's on this board and the sister board, but they also do their internal reviews.

I mean, I talk so much about StraighterLine being #1 on my list of providers and how easy it is to pass - nothing has changed for them.  Just recently, I changed my rankings and Study.com has toppled SL to take #1 as they offer Upper Level for cheap.  SL still remains highly recommend on my list for LL even though it's now my #2 recommended provider.

Back in the day, when you can transfer all 120 credits, I didn't even think of the Big 3 as I thought them more of Degree Mill'ish as you don't need to do any "work" at the school and can graduate that easily.  I finally looked at them more in 2012 when they introduced the Capstones to make them "more legit" or more like a traditional college/university.

I 100% agree with the cramming. That was my strategy with all of these. These providers do enable cramming more easily than traditional colelge where you have to submit homework assignments and you have multiple tests including the final and midterm.
tjguitar,

It's incredible that this needs to be explained, it ain't what you say it's how you say it:

"Hey guys, I just found a great new cheap option for a free elective at $49, I found it interesting and I'm quite satisfied with the learning experience"

"Hey guys, I just found a great new cheap option for a free elective at $49, I finished that sucker in 1.5 hours, it ain't proctored and all the exam questions are spelled out right in the course, YOU CAN'T FAIL THIS GUYS.....It feels like I'm stealing credits, GET IT NOW YEEEHAAAW"

Now tj, are you telling me you can't tell the difference between these two options of wording something. You're not alone here, it seems many forum members cannot tell the difference. It's obvious that a university degree does not impart in one what should be common sense.
In fact I think I'm going to cut this friendly argument short, as it seems the less you say the better. It would seem such people revel in running across a bridge as fast as possible, and then burning the bridge while those who'd rather walk are trying to cross.
I think people need to stop harassing people because of how they stated something. Even the most vocal critic in this thread (who is saying people shouldn't say things are easy) started a thread last month saying they relied on such statements in their search of an easy fast degree. That person was disappointed that a business class that he or she was told could be done in a day will take him or her a month. Most of us are on this forum because we are adults with time constraints, financial constraints, or both, so these reviews of courses are extremely valuable. Do not act rudely toward the people who reach back and are trying to help people get to where they are. Whether you like their language or not, you benefit from it or you wouldn't be here. We, as adults, have to realize that even when someone says it's easy, it might not be easy for us because we all have different strengths and experiences. And if the course is easy, do it, get it on a transcript to lock it in, and be thankful somebody cared enough to share.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
[-] The following 2 users Like SDO's post:
  • ChilliDawg, suzycupcake
@SDO I disagree with you. Quite bluntly sometimes you need to put a sock in it so that other people can benefit.

Its unfair to others to be denied the chance because some guy who has been doing X thing for years is bragging how easy it is to pass X 101 at Y provider. Scouts from the big three would see this then stop Y's courses making it harder for others.

I dont blame the schools they have a reputation to uphold. The WORLD can view this forum and if they don't do that pretty soon the Big 3 will become like University of the Phoenix and ITT and what not in terms of reputation. "Oh cosc and tesu yeah just cram a couple of powerpoints and write some 2 line essays amd get your degree! I finsihed 108 credits in 2 months!"

When a guy say's "crash course powepoint with whats on the exam" or boasts about how they finished 100 credits in a month, it makes it harder for the rest of us.

Right now Coopersmith is the ONLY provider with a cheap Linear Algebra course if you are outside the US. Even if you are in the US the next cheapest is Wescott courses. When a school blocks it, it is hard to get a replacement. I was actually thinking of doing a second BA in Math and Psyc thanks to coopersmiths offering. It people keep posting crap its only a matter of time before like Shmoop its not accepted.

Look at Shmoop some Dickhead cheated and got it blocked. Shmoop was hard, but you could still get some decent english courses and earn an English degree.

The sad part is the dickheads posting how easy it was get to use the course as part of their degree but prevent future students from the same access they had.

Its not harassment @SDO its for the benefit of the community and the single mother with 3 kids or the guy working his butt off and his boss tells him he needs a degree ASAP else he will be fired or demoted who has NO OTHER WAY to get a degree the way you can at the big 3.

I support this 100%. Sometimes people just need to be told to put a sock in it for the benefit of others.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • jsd, Leedeedee
I find it hard to believe that alternative credit is getting rejected because of what people post in this forum. I thought the rejections had to do with too many courses being credited to a transcript within a short period of time.

However, if big three schools ARE rejecting courses and providers based on posts in this forum, I think mods should start editing the posts. Credits are generally granted based on exams and if you're an expert, it shouldn't matter how quickly you complete some courses.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 2 users Like udi's post:
  • ChilliDawg, suzycupcake
As someone who has worked his ass off to knock out school in the shorter amount of time that I have (I started in July ‘19 and beginning my Capstone in May once I get back from Japan), I find it asinine to believe that a few random forum posts hold any sway over the insane changes happening at a few of these Universities. With the Schmoop guy that bragged a while back, sure, Schmoop goofed up with their proctoring, but the posts regarding Coopersmith? Good lord, they weren’t bad at all. Anyone here who has done a Coopersmith course KNOWS studying that much information (typically 95+ pages) and having to memorize all of it is in no way easy. That poster could have easily just been good at memorization, or even had a background in those topics. But instead, we attack others without knowing the whole story. It’s so damn childish.

I honestly blame the schools for their inability to adapt to changes in how people prefer education. Not only that, the reason why nobody wants to go to these schools in their original format is due to the insane prices they charge for credits. In addition, who the hell wants to waste 4 years of their life to school when technology nowadays changes that and allows us to cut that time drastically? WGU and others are already aware of this and succeed because they adapted to the Times, but sadly, The Big 3 haven’t made a decent effort to make these same kind of changes. I honestly do not blame anyone for obtaining their degrees via the methods on this forum, but to blame the posters here for the shitty changes at these institutions? That’s just dumb.

I will continue to give out information in every way that I can to help others out, as when I came in here as a nobody begging to earn my degree in a reasonable time, many posters were always there whenever I had questions.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • suzycupcake
@udi and @BrighterFuture88

Yes what is posted here DOES have an impact on botg the Big3 and the course providers.

I really don't need to argue this as I have withnessed this first hand over the few years I have been here.

Remember Aleks Beginnning algebra? At one point you could have used it to satisfy the math requirement for the BALS..people running thier mouth again caused it to be downgraded to a "developmental couse"

You guys can say what you want, but the fact is there are snoops from the Big 3 and the course providers on this forum and what we say here does have impact on what they provide, after all the members on here are basically verified customers and we are the market they are targetting.

I don't care who believes and who dosen't believe. For the benefit of the doubt shut your pie holes about finishing 90 accounting credits in a month Mr. Accountant. Sure 95+ pages is a lot to learn for a novice but if it were say a course on microprocessors or digital electronics I am confiident I will pass without studying because of a lifetime of exposure to the topic.

Look at the instutite ethics, people brag about 'taking it cold' and passing without a sweat. A lot of the memember on this forum are seasonrd business and military professionals who due to their work experience have an edge taking that course and many without the same experience are surprised to learn they struggle to make the bare 70% after many attempts and studying as well.

I have personally been apprached by course providers asking my input on courses based on what I posted here. So yes, what we say here DOES have input on course providers and the big 3 decisions.

To say otherwise is just being naive. I've seen it happen time and time again.

The Big 3 are getting more stringent in their requirments and it keeps getting tighter, a bit of that IS in part of what is posted here.

And @BrighteeFuture88 the Big3 is intended to serve a specific type of student. They are not fully compentency based institutions and fankly have no reason to do so. They are for the guys who went to umpteen colleges and dont have a degree and need ato take a course or two to have something to show for all thier efforts.

Its a good model and I dont think its dated. A lot of military personell and what not did on the job courses that are college level. The big3 accept them, grant credit and you take a course or two to meet the requirment.

Course providers are a priviledge the big3 allow when they are really not obligated to do so. Some schools only accept alt credit from military and clep. The big3 just want a bigger market.

So if you want fully competency programs then go to WGU, NAU, Walden, AMU Momentum and what not.

The big 3 are serving a different segment.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(01-25-2020, 07:06 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @udi and @BrighterFuture88

Yes what is posted here DOES have an impact on botg the Big3 and the course providers.

I really don't need to argue this as I have withnessed this first hand over the few years I have been here.

Remember Aleks Beginnning algebra? At one point you could have used it to satisfy the math requirement for the BALS..people running thier mouth again caused it to be downgraded to a "developmental couse"

You guys can say what you want, but the fact is there are snoops from the Big 3 and the course providers on this forum and what we say here does have impact on what they provide, after all the members on here are basically verified customers and we are the market they are targetting.

I don't care who believes and who dosen't believe. For the benefit of the doubt shut your pie holes about finishing 90 accounting credits in a month Mr. Accountant. Sure 95+ pages is a lot to learn for a novice but if it were say a course on microprocessors or digital electronics I am confiident I will pass without studying because of a lifetime of exposure to the topic.  

Look at the instutite ethics, people brag about 'taking it cold' and passing without a sweat. A lot of the memember on this forum are seasonrd business and military professionals who due to their work experience have an edge taking that course and many without the same experience are surprised to learn they struggle to make the bare 70% after many attempts and studying as well.

I have personally been apprached by course providers asking my input on courses based on what I posted here. So yes, what we say here DOES have input on course providers and the big 3 decisions.

To say otherwise is just being naive. I've seen it happen time and time again.

The Big 3 are getting more stringent in their requirments and it keeps getting tighter, a bit of that IS in part of what is posted here.

And @BrighteeFuture88 the Big3 is intended to serve a specific type of student. They are not fully compentency based institutions and fankly have no reason to do so. They are for the guys who went to umpteen colleges and dont have a degree and need ato take a course or two to have something to show for all thier efforts.

Its a good model and I dont think its dated. A lot of military personell and what not did on the job courses that are college level. The big3 accept them, grant credit and you take a course or two to meet the requirment.

Course providers are a priviledge the big3 allow when they are really not obligated to do so. Some schools only accept alt credit from military and clep. The big3 just want a bigger market.

So if you want fully competency programs then go to WGU, NAU, Walden, AMU Momentum and what not.

The big 3 are serving a different segment.

I’m just going to agree to disagree, as I just refuse to waste anymore homework time on a pointless forum quarrel.  I will say this, taking shots over the Coopersmith post is just for the sake of complaining, I feel, as looking over what was shared, I see nothing wrong with how it was worded.  I’m sure you will disagree, and that’s fine, as you are entitled to your opinion, but I do not believe the petty attacks on a forum post will fix this situation.  What’s done is done.  If you want to take your anger and make it useful, try using it for working on ideas to help others in this forum thrive and succeed? Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,962 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,859 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 781 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,399 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,097 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,340 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,787 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,252 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,915 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,665 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso