Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
COSC no longer one of the 'big 3'
When schools award credit for alternative sources, they have to either evaluate the sources or have some other authority evaluate them and be able to justify to their accrediting body that those alternative sources are college-level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-21-2018, 12:54 PM)sanantone Wrote: When schools award credit for alternative sources, they have to either evaluate the sources or have some other authority evaluate them and be able to justify to their accrediting body that those alternative sources are college-level.

yes, and I think they were just being slow. FEMA has been a no go at the other 2 for a while now. Taking three is a gift imo.
(12-21-2018, 11:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 10:00 AM)bnm Wrote: After reading the replies I agree COSC is still one of the 'big 3' but losing an entire free year of college is noteworthy.

Given that FEMA credits weren't ACE or NCCRS approved, I would say that it was just a matter of time before they went away (TESU stopped accepting those years ago); the main thing to think is that COSC was MORE than generous accepting these credits in the first place.  You're not losing anything so much as you were getting something for free for too long.

COSC has a different Regional Accreditation Agency.

Excelsior College, TESU, and FCC (buy FEMA credits) all have the same Regional Accreditation Agency.  All three have different FEMA credit policies. Big Grin

(12-21-2018, 12:54 PM)sanantone Wrote: When schools award credit for alternative sources, they have to either evaluate the sources or have some other authority evaluate them and be able to justify to their accrediting body that those alternative sources are college-level.

The fact that FCC (accrediting body) has allowed them to sell FEMA credits for 30-years tells me that their RA is OK with it.  It is time tested.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(12-22-2018, 12:40 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 10:00 AM)bnm Wrote: After reading the replies I agree COSC is still one of the 'big 3' but losing an entire free year of college is noteworthy.

Given that FEMA credits weren't ACE or NCCRS approved, I would say that it was just a matter of time before they went away (TESU stopped accepting those years ago); the main thing to think is that COSC was MORE than generous accepting these credits in the first place.  You're not losing anything so much as you were getting something for free for too long.

Excelsior College, TESU, and FCC (buy FEMA credits) all have the same Regional Accreditation Agency.  All three have different FEMA credit policies. Big Grin

The fact that FCC (accrediting body) has allowed them to sell FEMA credits for 30-years tells me that their RA is OK with it.  It is time tested.

Excelsior will only accept FEMA laundered through another college. That's a way of deflecting responsibility. FCC will not let you use FEMA IS courses, alone, toward their degree and certificate in emergency management. They make you complete more work to complement the FEMA courses.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-22-2018, 01:05 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 12:40 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

Excelsior will only accept FEMA laundered through another college. That's a way of deflecting responsibility. FCC will not let you use FEMA IS courses, alone, toward their degree and certificate in emergency management. They make you complete more work to complement the FEMA courses.

Fact is all three have different policies on FEMA credits with the same RA.  

FCC allows you to use 35 SH of FEMA credits towards an AAS.  That is a lot. 
https://www.frederick.edu/programs/publi...nline.aspx

Colleges can almost do whatever they want.  My son got to choose from 20 universities for 7-9 SH for hiking in Alaska (NOLS).  I was given 3 SH Grad credit for 5 days of a FEMA class by JSU.   I have about 5 SH of Grad credit for taking a few online coaching courses from a third party.  It depends on who is in bed with who.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(12-22-2018, 01:31 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 01:05 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 12:40 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

Fact is all three have different policies on FEMA credits with the same RA.  

FCC allows you to use 35 SH of FEMA credits towards an AAS.  That is a lot. 
https://www.frederick.edu/programs/publi...nline.aspx

Colleges can almost do whatever they want.  My son got to choose from 20 universities for 7-9 SH for hiking in Alaska (NOLS).  I was given 3 SH Grad credit for 5 days of a FEMA class by JSU.   I have about 5 SH of Grad credit for taking a few online coaching courses from a third party.  It depends on who is in bed with who.

No, FCC doesn't really let you use 35 FEMA credits. They are supplementing their coursework with FEMA material. FCC will sell you FEMA credits even though they have nothing to do with the EMI courses, but they won't even let you use them toward one of their degrees without completing additional modules. In reality, they will only accept seven FEMA credits toward electives without additional coursework. In other words, not even FCC believes that FEMA IS courses are really college-level.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Anyone have more information about COSC not accepting FEMA? Is that confirmed by anyone else, or could it be a case of a confused advisor?

And if it's true they're only accepting 3, do we know WHICH three they are accepting, or is it just any 3 cr?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • natshar
(12-22-2018, 01:03 PM)jsd Wrote: Anyone have more information about COSC not accepting FEMA? Is that confirmed by anyone else, or could it be a case of a confused advisor?

And if it's true they're only accepting 3, do we know WHICH three they are accepting, or is it just any 3 cr?

good question. I'd also like to know.... "They also are now only accepting 3 FEMA credits." bnm, do you have an email from your advisor? How did you find this out?
This a reply to my question about limiting the use of FEMA credits this afternoon. I don't know how I missed copying the whole conversation but Bob said that 9 is the new limit for FEMA credits before he wrote the statement below.

"Not sure we had an established limit in the past, but a new policy went into effect that limits the use of such credits in a Charter Oak degree plan. If you have ACE evaluated credit from FEMA (ie. National Fire Academy), you can still use those to their full degree applicability. Just the Independent Study credits are limited."
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment
So it is a possibly 6 or possibly 9 credit cap, and we don't know if there is a specific 6-9 to be used, or just any 6-9 cr. Ugh.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,683 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,167 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,621 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso