Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC to TESC
This thread is actually relevant to a discussion going on in the Walden TempoLearning thread.

When selecting a degree for your desired career, don't get stuck being too literal. You don't need a homeland security degree to work in homeland security; most people in the industry don't have one. You don't need an emergency management degree to work in emergency management. The degree checks a box; related experience is most important. I've come across many who think they need a forensic science degree to become a forensic scientist. The truth is that a chemistry degree would be the least limiting in this field. Toxicology positions require many chemistry courses that aren't in the average forensic science program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, Life Long Learning
(12-03-2018, 12:50 PM)sanantone Wrote: This thread is actually relevant to a discussion going on in the Walden TempoLearning thread.

When selecting a degree for your desired career, don't get stuck being too literal. You don't need a homeland security degree to work in homeland security; most people in the industry don't have one. You don't need an emergency management degree to work in emergency management. The degree checks a box; related experience is most important. I've come across many who think they need a forensic science degree to become a forensic scientist. The truth is that a chemistry degree would be the least limiting in this field. Toxicology positions require many chemistry courses that aren't in the average forensic science program.

I agree with what you said.  The only ones who really push these HSEM degrees are FEMA and IAEM.  Degrees without experience are just snowflakes.  They are trying to get away from second career retired folks of first responders (experience) that were the ticket in.  Fire, military, police I think are still the better road (tested) and than add a degree.  

This Auburn University Certificate in Crisis Management is just continuing education.  Taking CE in your field is useful.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(12-03-2018, 01:16 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 12:50 PM)sanantone Wrote: This thread is actually relevant to a discussion going on in the Walden TempoLearning thread.

I agree with what you said.  The only ones who really push these HSEM degrees are FEMA and IAEM.  Degrees without experience are just snowflakes.  They are trying to get away from second career retired folks of first responders (experience) that were the ticket in.  Fire, military, police I think are still the better road (tested) and than add a degree.  

This Auburn University Certificate in Crisis Management is just continuing education.  Taking CE in your field is useful.

And, it's nice to have a related degree, but the title doesn't have to be an exact match. In another recent thread, I pointed out to someone that a sociology degree is just as valuable as a CJ degree for the U.S. Marshals.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-03-2018, 01:36 PM)sanantone Wrote:

And, it's nice to have a related degree, but the title doesn't have to be an exact match. In another recent thread, I pointed out to someone that a sociology degree is just as valuable as a CJ degree for the U.S. Marshals.

The degree is the weakest indicator. 

The best Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) I have seen was a Nurse by education.  I have seen two nurses now, and they are/were both excellent.  That's why I like how the Army (line officers) do not care about what the degree is in.  Let everyone COMPETE, and over time the sick, lame, and lazy will be weeded out.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(12-03-2018, 01:50 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 01:36 PM)sanantone Wrote:

The degree is the weakest indicator. 

The best Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) I have seen was a Nurse by education.  I have seen two nurses now, and they are/were both excellent.  That's why I like how the Army (line officers) do not care about what the degree is in.  Let everyone COMPETE, and over time the sick, lame, and lazy will be weeded out.

Some might consider nursing to be a related degree along with CJ, emergency medicine, and business administration. I landed two interviews with FEMA for a GS-11 job because I had three years of doctoral courses in CJ, and they considered it related. I didn't get the jobs, but getting an interview with the federal government is a feat in itself.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(02-27-2014, 10:04 AM)J_T Wrote: Hey guys,

This might sound like a dumb question but could I use COSC's Cornerstone course as a free elective at TESC? 

Back to the original question - yes, it should work.  It will probably come in as FEL-199 or something like that, I've seen a lot of evals and they usually take those courses in free electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-03-2018, 02:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 10:04 AM)J_T Wrote: Hey guys,

This might sound like a dumb question but could I use COSC's Cornerstone course as a free elective at TESC? 

Back to the original question - yes, it should work.  It will probably come in as FEL-199 or something like that, I've seen a lot of evals and they usually take those courses in free electives.

The question was asked and answered in 2014, so I hope the OP finished something by now.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,158 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 928 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU, EC, COSC: Quickest & Cheapest? ISKBizz15 6 1,864 11-17-2020, 05:26 PM
  Colleges besides TESU, COSC, Excelsior, WGU that accept ACE alab21 23 5,948 06-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Last Post: amberwalk
  COSC, TESU, Excelsior Business Capstone Comparison Acam10 0 992 05-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Acam10
  Big 3 Timeline (EC, TESU, COSC) Life Long Learning 14 3,452 06-09-2019, 11:43 PM
  EC/COSC - will they take NA credits? dfrecore 20 3,267 06-05-2019, 05:04 PM
  Possible Double Major - COSC or TESU? Kylana 4 1,298 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
  1st degree at TESU... 2nd at COSC? fingerscrossedx2 5 1,824 04-26-2019, 12:34 AM
  COSC/EC - UL requirements dfrecore 2 1,101 04-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone