Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC vs Excelsior cost
I was just looking at the tuition and cost for Excelsior. If one transfers in as much as possible, isn't Excelsior cheaper than COSC. I am coming up with $1095 for the multi source option, then $495 annual fee, $495 graduation fee, $50 application fee. Plus 3 credit capstone about $1500. So the cheapest degree could be had for under $4000. Am I missing something?
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • cecilgambe7
Following!
Based off my ongoing conversations with the folks at Excelsior (Somewhat like pulling teeth as I'm not enrolled yet) its actually $495 lower than what you've got - You don't pay the $495 annual fee in the first year.

From their Website "$495 x number of years of enrollment after the first year"

You do also pay a $20 per credit tech fee per credit so that is anther $60 thrown back in...
I show that EC is roughly $3140 for fees the first year, and then however much it would cost to take 39 courses (no discounts apply unless you take 4 courses through them which is too expensive and not part of these costs)

I show that COSC is roughly $2848 for fees for 1 term, and then however much it would cost to take 38 courses (10% discount on tuition & fees with Study.com or 4 SL courses is included in these costs)

After January 2020, EC will probably increase to $4690 because they're going to (probably) add a cornerstone.

Depending on the degree you want, COSC is better than EC in terms of cost, and TESU is better than EC in terms of quantity of degrees, accreditation for a BSBA, etc. So COSC or TESU is a better option in general than EC. They're my last choice for almost everything.

Oh yeah, and if you're active-duty military, then TESU is by far the cheapest (by a LOT).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Here are the fees as I see it - I could be missing something - I'm new to this and in the process of figuring out where to finish my degree right now, spoken to all three ALOT in the past 2 weeks...(applied to all three - waiting for credit eval from COSC).

Minimum fees, assuming you are doing max credits through other sources: 

Excelsior - 1 year  - Out of State Tuition(Spoke to them yesterday they said they are targeting the new cornerstone format for Spring Semesters)

app -              $50
Enrollment - $1095
Capstone -   $1530
Grad -           $495
Tech -            $60

Total -        $3230 - PLUS $100 * you still need to do Info although I'm told you can do it elsewhere - so you really need to add another $100 give or take to compare apples to apples - so it is really $3330

COSC - 1 Term - Out of State Tuition

app -                   $50
Cornerstone -  $1,257
Capstone -      $1,257
Student Svcs -   $284
Tech -                $75
Grad -               $215

Total -           $3,138 - 1 Semester * Assumes you can get done in 1 semester. BSBA you should be able to with 8 week Cornerstone and 8 week capstone. Individualized Studies or General Studies you can't because you have an 8 week Cornerstone and a 15 week Capstone - so you have 2 semesters minimum which means you have to pay a second Student Svcs and Tech fee, so add $359 to above figure.

TESU - 1 Year - Out of State Tuition           TESU - 1 Year - In State Tuition  

app -                   $50                                    app -                   $50
Cornerstone -  $1,527                                     Cornerstone -  $1,197
Capstone -      $1,527                                     Capstone -      $1,197
Residency -      $2800                                     Residency -      $2800
Grad -               $298                                     Grad -               $298

Total -      $6,202 - 1 Year                            Total -      $5,542 - 1 Year

Military for TESU would be $1,848 if they waive the residency. $4,648 if they don't (I don't know if they do or don't).

I have the TESU in State  figures because I'm in NJ so that's what I"m comparing for my situation... 

The advantage I see with Excelsior (assuming a relatively quick enrollment) is you can still do the cornerstone class elsewhere so it costs you less (for now) AND you don't have to do the work the other two cornerstones are requiring. Apparently if you do their course its a quick and easy class to get through - though I'd rather not drop $510 for a 1 credit class where I can drop $100+/- and get 3 credits. 

I will say based off my experience the last couple of weeks Excelsior (at least the admissions person I'm stuck with) is not as easy to work with as the other two schools. Most of her responses have been "Once you get enrolled work that out with your advisor". I did call earlier this week and spoke to a different guy when she was out and he was great, so I may have to time my calls around her schedule lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ssorck's post:
  • cecilgambe7, JWells247
(07-20-2019, 09:59 AM)Ssorck Wrote: Here are the fees as I see it - I could be missing something - I'm new to this and in the process of figuring out where to finish my degree right now, spoken to all three ALOT in the past 2 weeks...(applied to all three - waiting for credit eval from COSC).

Excelsior - 1 year  - Out of State Tuition(Spoke to them yesterday they said they are targeting the new cornerstone format for Spring Semesters)

app -              $50
Enrollment - $1095
Capstone -   $1530
Grad -           $495
Tech -            $60

Total -        $3230 - PLUS $100 * you still need to do Info although I'm told you can do it elsewhere - so you really need to add another $100 give or take to compare apples to apples - so it is really $3330

Cornerstone -  $1,257
Capstone -      $1,257
Student Svcs -   $284

Total -           $3,138 - 1 Semester * Assumes you can get done in 1 semester. BSBA you should be able to with 8 week Cornerstone and 8 week capstone. Individualized Studies or General Studies you can't because you have an 8 week Cornerstone and a 15 week Capstone - so you have 2 semesters minimum which means you have to pay a second Student Svcs and Tech fee, so add $359 to above figure.

app -                   $50                                    app -                   $50
Capstone -      $1,527                                     Capstone -      $1,197
Residency -      $2800                                     Residency -      $2800
Grad -               $298                                     Grad -               $298

Total -      $6,202 - 1 Year                            Total -      $5,542 - 1 Year

Military for TESU would be $1,848 if they waive the residency. $4,648 if they don't (I don't know if they do or don't).

I have the TESU in State  figures because I'm in NJ so that's what I"m comparing for my situation... 

The advantage I see with Excelsior (assuming a relatively quick enrollment) is you can still do the cornerstone class elsewhere so it costs you less (for now) AND you don't have to do the work the other two cornerstones are requiring. Apparently if you do their course its a quick and easy class to get through - though I'd rather not drop $510 for a 1 credit class where I can drop $100+/- and get 3 credits. 

I will say based off my experience the last couple of weeks Excelsior (at least the admissions person I'm stuck with) is not as easy to work with as the other two schools. Most of her responses have been "Once you get enrolled work that out with your advisor". I did call earlier this week and spoke to a different guy when she was out and he was great, so I may have to time my calls around her schedule lol.
So, if I am doing Liberal Arts, would it be better to do COSC or TESU?  You mentioned a Cornerstone for COSC outside of a BSBA, but with general studies I would have to do one, so I don’t know if that counts for LA.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • cecilgambe7
Sad 
(07-20-2019, 09:59 AM)Ssorck Wrote: Here are the fees as I see it - I could be missing something - I'm new to this and in the process of figuring out where to finish my degree right now, spoken to all three ALOT in the past 2 weeks...(applied to all three - waiting for credit eval from COSC).

app -              $50
Enrollment - $1095
Capstone -   $1530
Grad -           $495
Tech -            $60

Cornerstone -  $1,257
Capstone -      $1,257
Student Svcs -   $284

That mean Excelsior is going to be more expensive i think you miss a course the information literacy of 1  credit required by Excelsior also the new cornerstone will ending pushing it higher than the actual price Sad . TESU and Excelsior going to be expensive.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
Read about accreditation in the wiki!
(07-20-2019, 10:49 AM)gams007 Wrote: That mean Excelsior is going to be more expensive i think you miss a course the information literacy of 1  credit required by Excelsior also the new cornerstone will ending pushing it higher than the actual price Sad . TESU and Excelsior going to be expensive.

@ per my conversation of yesterday UNTIL Excelsior implements the new Cornerstone which is targeted for Spring Semesters you can do an outside course for the Info Lit - so you can pick up an alt course for $100 +/- and from what I was told yesterday as long as you were enrolled, on a degree plan already and had the requirement filled you wouldn't have to take their info lit.

Of course this is all based on my conversation with Admissions.

(07-20-2019, 11:41 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Read about accreditation in the wiki!

So this is the part I really don't get, advantages vs. disadvantages to each school in the accreditation department. 

From what I see on their websites - Excelsior is accredited regionally with the Middle States Commision on Higher Education, TESU is accredited regionally with the Middle States Commision on Higher Education, COSC is accredited regionally with the New England Commision on Higher Education.

I don't get what the difference is? I'm guessing I'm missing something?

Supposing someone (me!) is just looking to finish a degree in Liberal Arts - is there any difference at all in the Big 3 in the real world?

Would there be a difference in the Big 3 for specific industries? Like if someone thought they may want to teach down the road?

And I'm also curious what makes TESU stronger for a BSBA?

Thanks!
The most important is they are all regionally accredited.
Depending on your future plans programmatic accreditation could be important too.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Accreditation https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid274426

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,075 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,312 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az