Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS Student Wanting to Transfer, What School is Best for a Senior with Anxiety?
You should apply to TESU and send in your transcript ASAP. Then you'll know exactly what you need.

Which course(s) is the schedule bottleneck at Bellevue? If it's not the capstone, maybe we can find whatever course is the problem elsewhere and you could transfer it back to to finish your degree at your current school a little quicker.

Edit: OK, looking back I see the capstone is a 3 course sequence so it's probably the bottleneck.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle
(03-06-2023, 10:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would absolutely NOT recommend TECEPs to a student with any sort of anxiety. TECEPs use ProctorU, which is a live proctor. It's an entirely different experience than a recorded proctor. At the best of times, ProctorU can be... difficult. Sophia's English Comp II is lengthy, and sometimes fickle, but you don't have to deal with a live proctor.

I found this TECEP to be extremely easy, so that might negate the "live proctor" situation here.  Using a live proctor for a difficult exam might be a different story, but dealing with one for a couple of hours on an easy exam might be doable.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
My advice is always to be very intentional about what you want. Is the purpose of this degree to gain employment? If so, here is my order of priority in terms of what would have the most impact on gaining employment (out of the things mentioned in your post):

- A degree that is done vs a degree not done
- Soft skills/mental health/resiliency. Almost everyone is doing agile development and collaboration on cross functional teams is a must. Communication, courage, adaptability/welcoming surprises are core values. The age of the 'hero programmer' is dead. Not to mention you're going to have to interview.

I don't think reputation should be your highest consideration or an area you should focus the majority of your energy.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • origamishuttle
Seriously thank you all so much, this has all been extremely encouraging. I'm used to people just telling me to get over it and try harder, but you've all been so helpful and non judgmental. I really can't express enough how thankful I am!

(03-06-2023, 09:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: BA vs. BS really does NOT matter, except in very specific circumstances. Unless you have a job offer that says you need a BS, these circumstances don't apply to you. What matters is the major, not BA vs. BS. 

Looking at the courses you've completed, it looks like you might also be able to get both a BA Comp Sci and a BA Mathematics from TESU with very little additional effort. This would be arguably even better than "just" a BS Comp Sci. It opens up more job opportunities than just a standard Comp Sci degree.

The downside: you will need to take at least one Study.com class for TESU. Understandably, I don't see a Public Speaking class. There is a SDC course that is accepted at TESU as Public Speaking but it has ZERO presentations due. Just a final exam. Study.com uses a RECORDED proctor, not a live proctor. Probably 95+% of the time, nobody will even see the video and it'll get deleted without being watched.

You might also need to complete a few gen eds, like English Comp II. You've got Technical Writing, but TESU doesn't usually count that as English Comp II. If you're missing anything else, you can complete them on Sophia. Sophia is open-book and does not have traditional proctoring.

I had no idea I was that close to a math degree. I mean I knew I took more math classes than I needed (currently they're being applied as my free electives lol), but I figured that I'd need way more than that. I considered trying to minor in math since I thought I'd be close to that, but I really hadn't considered getting another Bachelors, I assumed that'd be like starting over. Two BAs definitely feels worth all the effort and time, and it does seem better than just one BS even! (:

That all sounds very doable actually. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention, this seems like it could be a real option for me.

(03-06-2023, 10:01 PM)origamishuttle Wrote: Please note that a substantial portion of the TESU capstone grade is based on an 8-10 minute video presentation that must be reviewed and graded by the course mentor. The video is supposed to be shared with classmates in the discussion board, but that part can be skipped, losing only 2-3 percent of the overall course grade.

This was the other reason I originally was leaning against TESU, which I forgot to mention in my post. I think I can maybe manage it though considering there seems to be a lot of upsides to TESU. If anyone has experience with what the whole capstone process is like, just knowing what to expect will help me immensely. Its one 8-10 minutes video, and its a prior recording I make (not live) right? Is the presentation a large portion of the overall grade for the capstone? Any and all information would be helpful for me.

I'm also not a huge fan of research papers but it is what it is and I can get over that. But just in case, anyone know if they ever give some options for capstones more geared towards your specific major? I understand CS students do the same capstone as every other BA, but maybe they sometimes allow you to make a program/app/website/whatever instead?

It also seems like TESU has a disability/accessibility center, does anyone know if its of any quality? I've gotten presentations waived before through disability, so if anyone knows if they ever do accommodations for mental illness that'd be helpful to know. Maybe I have some leeway here.

(03-06-2023, 10:45 PM)natshar Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 10:33 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would absolutely NOT recommend TECEPs to a student with any sort of anxiety. TECEPs use ProctorU, which is a live proctor. It's an entirely different experience than a recorded proctor. At the best of times, ProctorU can be... difficult. Sophia's English Comp II is lengthy, and sometimes fickle, but you don't have to deal with a live proctor.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I took a TECEP once ages ago. I thought it make sense in OPs situation and the speaking TECEP sounds easyish and so does comp II. (in some ways the TECEP might be eaiser than Sophias. It looks like less work IMO) Also no issues with additional transcripts and waiting for them to come in added to plan and for grad school only having two transcripts TESU and Bellvue. But yeah I loathe ProctorU. But yeah I guess OP can decide if TECEP is right for them, which it might not be.

I guess I maybe don't know enough about proctoring. My school doesn't do proctoring at all, even online. Live proctoring is going to be taking an exam on while on webcam/video call  with someone watching right? How different is that from recorded proctoring? You use webcam but presumably someone watches the video later, like you're not in a zoom call with someone? I definitely think the video sounds substantially easier. The other reason I didn't like proctoring was because I have a horrible memory when it comes to exact/specific information. So using short hand written notes for difficult exams works well for me, but trying to remember complicated memory tasks can be difficult (memorizing exact syntax in programming, or long equations in math). So I guess open book or whatever might be more important to me for certain types of courses.

(03-07-2023, 05:19 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You'll need to see exactly where TESU puts each course in order to decide what actually needs to be taken for these two degrees.

I'll have to do more research on all the courses you listed for me but this gives me a great jumping off point to start really planning something actionable. I'm assuming if there's not "(no proctoring)" next to a course, that means there is proctoring for that course. Is it safe to assume TESU usually doesn't use proctoring at all, or do they often use proctoring for some courses? And is there a reason to not take any necessary classes at TESU instead of SDC/Sophia/etc? I guess I'm confused on the benefits and drawbacks of TESU vs. Online credit courses. 

How long do these Study.com, Coursera, Sophia, etc type courses take to complete? If I'm counting correctly, I'll need at the very least Public Speaking, English Comp 2, and Ethics. Possibly History. And then I guess the rest of what I'd likely need would be Comp Sci and Math courses I could take at those services as well, transfer to TESU with those credits, do the capstones and literacy courses for CS and/or Math at TESU, and then I'm done? That's already quite a few courses, is that really going to be faster than doing something like SNHU for a year? 

Also could I theoretically take these extra math electives at SNHU to fulfill the 30 credit residency requirement, and then either transfer those to TESU for the second major, or maybe do one major and one minor at SNHU?

Also, regarding the Area of Study electives, I'm still enrolled in my program and I get enough assistance/scholarships there to not pay anything. Originally I was supposed to take CS401 Algorithms next quarter. From my understanding, its a subject fairly based on mathematical theory. Its also necessary for every other CS degree I looked at so I'm not sure I should skip it anyway. Is it possible this would transfer as an Upper Level Math course? If it might, should I wait to transfer all credits at once? I could take the Algorithms class next quarter while doing some of the Study.com or Coursera Gen Ed credits that are more "certain" to be needed. Or is it kind of risky to be "guessing" what I'll need, what will or wont transfer, etc? 

(03-07-2023, 12:07 PM)davewill Wrote: You should apply to TESU and send in your transcript ASAP. Then you'll know exactly what you need.

Which course(s) is the schedule bottleneck at Bellevue? If it's not the capstone, maybe we can find whatever course is the problem elsewhere and you could transfer it back to to finish your degree at your current school a little quicker.

Edit: OK looking back I see the capstone is a 3 course sequence so it's probably the bottleneck.

Yes the bottleneck is the capstone series which takes 3 quarters (from fall-spring). Ideally you're supposed to take it alongside all your other upper level classes, but I obviously didn't do that. I actually did consider trying to get accepted into another School, do their capstone, and maybe transfer back, but I'm pretty sure no where is going to let me take their Capstone without doing the rest of their necessary degree requirements, and at that point I don't think there'd be any point in transferring back.

Thanks again everyone for all your helpful advice, it really means a lot to me. Big Grin
(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: Yes the bottleneck is the capstone series which takes 3 quarters (from fall-spring). Ideally you're supposed to take it alongside all your other upper level classes, but I obviously didn't do that. I actually did consider trying to get accepted into another School, do their capstone, and maybe transfer back, but I'm pretty sure no where is going to let me take their Capstone without doing the rest of their necessary degree requirements, and at that point I don't think there'd be any point in transferring back.

Thanks again everyone for all your helpful advice, it really means a lot to me. Big Grin

Applying with your current credits and taking TESU's capstone would be easy enough, but I'd be very surprised if Bellevue would accept another school's capstone to substitute for their own. If they did, it would be a wonderful option for you.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

Eng Comp Test Description: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JmP1...Ue0vk/edit

Public Speaking Test Description: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BFbD...p3Eio/edit

Here is the test description for environmental ethics if you'd like to do that for ethics req: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfC_...YZafo/edit

Also worth noting it would be ONE BA diploma with two majors. Only one piece of paper. If it is too much work for a Math AOS then you can get a Math associates at least for no work.

But remember if you take 16 cr at TESU (and you are already at 6 cr) then it could save a lot of money especially if get aid. I guess I'm saying if you have the time and energy maybe take a couple math classes alongside the cap/cornerstone.
(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I had no idea I was that close to a math degree. I mean I knew I took more math classes than I needed (currently they're being applied as my free electives lol), but I figured that I'd need way more than that. I considered trying to minor in math since I thought I'd be close to that, but I really hadn't considered getting another Bachelors, I assumed that'd be like starting over. Two BAs definitely feels worth all the effort and time, and it does seem better than just one BS even! (:

That all sounds very doable actually. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention, this seems like it could be a real option for me.

TESU will give you an associate in math for free. You already meet the requirements for the degree so you wouldn't have to take additional courses once you complete all the general education for the bachelor's degree.

Then there is also the option to do the bachelor's in math. 

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: This was the other reason I originally was leaning against TESU, which I forgot to mention in my post. I think I can maybe manage it though considering there seems to be a lot of upsides to TESU. If anyone has experience with what the whole capstone process is like, just knowing what to expect will help me immensely. Its one 8-10 minutes video, and its a prior recording I make (not live) right? Is the presentation a large portion of the overall grade for the capstone?

I'm also not a huge fan of research papers but it is what it is and I can get over that. But just in case, anyone know if they ever give some options for capstones more geared towards your specific major? I understand CS students do the same capstone as every other BA, but maybe they sometimes allow you to make a program/app/website/whatever instead?

It also seems like TESU has a disability/accessibility center, does anyone know if its of any quality? I've gotten presentations waived before through disability, so if anyone knows if they ever do accommodations for mental illness that'd be helpful to know. Maybe I have some leeway here.

I took both the liberal arts capstone and the business capstone at TESU.

The 8-10min recording isn't live. You can basically write a script and read it word for word as you are going through the PowerPoint slideshow.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of the capstone. You don't do surveys or original research. I wouldn't bother with making any apps, etc. It doesn't have to be related to CS, and usually, that is better since CS/Math can be very technical, and you end up talking over people's heads.

I suggest doing a general topic this is real problem that exists in the world and is easy to research as people have written a bunch of stuff on the topic.

For example, discussing how mobile phones destroy people's attention spans. AI is a fun topic for CS majors. You could discuss, for example, AI's impact on the job market or AI's impact on human interaction.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I guess I maybe don't know enough about proctoring. My school doesn't do proctoring at all, even online. Live proctoring is going to be taking an exam on while on webcam/video call  with someone watching right? How different is that from recorded proctoring? You use webcam but presumably someone watches the video later, like you're not in a zoom call with someone? I definitely think the video sounds substantially easier. The other reason I didn't like proctoring was because I have a horrible memory when it comes to exact/specific information. So using short hand written notes for difficult exams works well for me, but trying to remember complicated memory tasks can be difficult (memorizing exact syntax in programming, or long equations in math). So I guess open book or whatever might be more important to me for certain types of courses.

Sometimes with proctoring, they will allow one page of notes. It depends on the school and course.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I'll have to do more research on all the courses you listed for me but this gives me a great jumping off point to start really planning something actionable. I'm assuming if there's not "(no proctoring)" next to a course, that means there is proctoring for that course. Is it safe to assume TESU usually doesn't use proctoring at all, or do they often use proctoring for some courses? And is there a reason to not take any necessary classes at TESU instead of SDC/Sophia/etc? I guess I'm confused on the benefits and drawbacks of TESU vs. Online credit courses.

How long do these Study.com, Coursera, Sophia, etc type courses take to complete? If I'm counting correctly, I'll need at the very least Public Speaking, English Comp 2, and Ethics. Possibly History. And then I guess the rest of what I'd likely need would be Comp Sci and Math courses I could take at those services as well, transfer to TESU with those credits, do the capstones and literacy courses for CS and/or Math at TESU, and then I'm done? That's already quite a few courses, is that really going to be faster than doing something like SNHU for a year?

Also, regarding the Area of Study electives, I'm still enrolled in my program and I get enough assistance/scholarships there to not pay anything. Originally I was supposed to take CS401 Algorithms next quarter. From my understanding, its a subject fairly based on mathematical theory. Its also necessary for every other CS degree I looked at so I'm not sure I should skip it anyway. Is it possible this would transfer as an Upper Level Math course? If it might, should I wait to transfer all credits at once? I could take the Algorithms class next quarter while doing some of the Study.com or Coursera Gen Ed credits that are more "certain" to be needed. Or is it kind of risky to be "guessing" what I'll need, what will or wont transfer, etc?

TESU does use proctoring. You can tell by reading the syllabus for the class. For the Computer Science degree, you can do it with basically no proctoring.

TESU you pay for each course so it's better to take cheap courses at alt credit providers when you can. Generally, most alt-credit courses take around 20 hours to complete on average. Study.com has presentation skills in the workplace, which fulfills the public speaking requirement can be done in one day. There are no papers or speeches for that course.

You need to start TESU courses by May 1st in order to graduate in September
https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

Final Thoughts

TESU should be the quickest by far, as you got almost all the courses done already.

WGU does have exams, but you get multiple chances to pass them. Considering your GPA and your previous courses' rigor, you should do fine at WGU.

SNHU, you got most of the difficult courses completed. SNHU only allows you to take a max of 2 courses per 2-month term and 3 after you have done a few terms. So it would be 8-10 months of taking courses at SNHU after you transfer in 90 credits. 

TESU CS
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan

WGU CS
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

SNHU CS
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
Unfortunately, cornerstones and capstones don't transfer between schools. It's just not done. I've taken multiple "College Success" or "Information Literacy" courses, but the only one that counts at TESU is SOS-110 - their own course.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: This was the other reason I originally was leaning against TESU, which I forgot to mention in my post. I think I can maybe manage it though considering there seems to be a lot of upsides to TESU. If anyone has experience with what the whole capstone process is like, just knowing what to expect will help me immensely. Its one 8-10 minutes video, and its a prior recording I make (not live) right? Is the presentation a large portion of the overall grade for the capstone? Any and all information would be helpful for me.

I don't think that there are any live/Zoom calls with TESU unless you request one with your teacher for some reason. Pretty much everything is handled via email.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I'm also not a huge fan of research papers but it is what it is and I can get over that. But just in case, anyone know if they ever give some options for capstones more geared towards your specific major? I understand CS students do the same capstone as every other BA, but maybe they sometimes allow you to make a program/app/website/whatever instead?

They used to, but not any more. One possibility could to write a paper about a website/app/etc. that you think would be good and why it'd be good. Something akin to a sales pitch, backed with various research.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote:  It also seems like TESU has a disability/accessibility center, does anyone know if its of any quality? I've gotten presentations waived before through disability, so if anyone knows if they ever do accommodations for mental illness that'd be helpful to know. Maybe I have some leeway here.

Unfortunately, TESU doesn't have a great reputation in regards to disability/accessibility. They ought to be better now than they were a few years ago, but no promises. It's definitely worth giving it a shot, assuming you have the necessary paperwork to back up your assertions that you need certain accomodations.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I guess I maybe don't know enough about proctoring. My school doesn't do proctoring at all, even online. Live proctoring is going to be taking an exam on while on webcam/video call  with someone watching right? How different is that from recorded proctoring? You use webcam but presumably someone watches the video later, like you're not in a zoom call with someone? I definitely think the video sounds substantially easier.

Yes, live proctoring is a one-sided video call. It does not help that a lot of the proctor agents are unclear about requirements and may require you to do things that are, frankly, ridiculous. Example from another student here: being forced to dump out your clear glass of water to prove that you're not holding some sort of cheating materials inside.

Recorded proctoring, theoretically, has similar requirements to a live proctor. But recorded proctors tend to be less uptight about things, as long as you're not obviously cheating. For a relatively low-risk preview of the kind of recorded proctor that Study.com uses, you could take a course from OnlineDegree.com. OnlineDegree also uses the same RPNow proctor that Study.com uses, but their courses are free and exams are only $9 each. They don't have a lot of courses available, but it's a good way to see what things are like without spending $200 on a month of Study.com.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: The other reason I didn't like proctoring was because I have a horrible memory when it comes to exact/specific information. So using short hand written notes for difficult exams works well for me, but trying to remember complicated memory tasks can be difficult (memorizing exact syntax in programming, or long equations in math). So I guess open book or whatever might be more important to me for certain types of courses.
Unfortunately, proctored exams tend to ban notes of any kind. Thankfully, most of the courses we recommend here don't have these kinds of questions, so that shouldn't be an issue. Study.com exams are multiple choice. As are OnlineDegree exams.

As long as you have a decent grasp of the material, Study.com exams tend to be "common sense", even if you aren't 100% sure of the correct answer. A silly example might be: "The moon is mainly made of: a.) Wood b.) Basalt c.) Linen d.) Mud" We can immediately elminate a and c, because those are silly. The answers for b and d might seem similar at first glance, but if we stop and think for a few moments then we realize that there is very little water on the moon; certainly no liquid water. That eliminates d and now we know that B is correct. There is a lot of that at Study.com. There are often two very wrong/silly answers and then a 50/50 choice between two answers that initially seem to be similar - but usually some thought reveals the correct answer.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I'll have to do more research on all the courses you listed for me but this gives me a great jumping off point to start really planning something actionable. I'm assuming if there's not "(no proctoring)" next to a course, that means there is proctoring for that course. Is it safe to assume TESU usually doesn't use proctoring at all, or do they often use proctoring for some courses?

TESU is very divided as far as proctoring goes. There are plenty of courses that have no exams, only papers. I think I may have seen one or two courses where they even have an unproctored midterm, but no final exam. Only some paper. That's very uncommon. But most of the math courses, for instance, have a final proctored exam. You need to check the syllabus for each course to see if it mentions anything about exams.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: And is there a reason to not take any necessary classes at TESU instead of SDC/Sophia/etc? I guess I'm confused on the benefits and drawbacks of TESU vs. Online credit courses. 

TESU uses live proctors, so you'll want to avoid those courses whenever possible. Aside from that, though, TESU classes aren't cheap. A single TESU class is about $1600. Study.com exams are $100 each when you complete 2 exams per month. Sophia is $99/mo. and has all-you-can-complete classes (two at a time). Coursera certificates can be free (such as Google certificates through The American Dream Academy) or about $60/mo. Even if it takes you multiple months to complete one of these certificates, it'd still be significantly less expensive than TESU.

A TESU class is 12 weeks long. In those 12 weeks, it's generally possible to complete way more credits from elsewhere than you could at TESU. You will need the capstone and cornerstone, but everything else is "optional". It's cheapest to do a 16-credit flat-rate term, though. For this, I'd probably recommend that you do:

* Cornerstone
* Capstone
* PLA-100
* Any easy-looking non-proctored course from the course list. https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php
Pick two of (I think these are the only non-proctored math classes at TESU):
* MAT-301 History of Mathematics
* MAT-351 Mathematical Modeling
* MAT-401 Mathematical Logic

Or you can try doing all three UL math courses at once, though I wouldn't recommend it. It is possible to pay for a course extension on a class or two, if needed, so it's not as grueling as it might otherwise seem. TESU allows students to work ahead, so you can finish PLA-100 and 90% of the cornerstone (except the forum posts) within the first week. Then work ahead/complete the math courses so that you can focus on the capstone. Pay for a capstone extension, if needed.

If you do not take at least 16 TESU credits (whether in a single term or spread out over multiple terms), you need to pay a residency waiver fee of $3288.

If you do a single flat-rate 16-credit term, the cost would be $4,778. No residency waiver fee.

If you only took the capstone & cornerstone from TESU, the total cost would be $535 x 6 credits = $3210 + $3288 = $6498 in tuition & fees. Does not count the graduation fee.

If you complete 16 credits over multiple terms, the cost would be $535 x 16 credits = $8560 in tuition. No residency waiver fee.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: How long do these Study.com, Coursera, Sophia, etc type courses take to complete? If I'm counting correctly, I'll need at the very least Public Speaking, English Comp 2, and Ethics. Possibly History. And then I guess the rest of what I'd likely need would be Comp Sci and Math courses I could take at those services as well, transfer to TESU with those credits, do the capstones and literacy courses for CS and/or Math at TESU, and then I'm done? That's already quite a few courses, is that really going to be faster than doing something like SNHU for a year? 

They're much, much faster than SNHU courses. English Comp from Sophia will probably take 2 or 3 months to complete. It depends on how fast they grade the papers. Most alternate source courses (Study.com, Sophia, Coursera, etc.) take anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks to complete. People have been known to complete an entire Associate degree's worth of credits from Sophia in a month, though two or three months is more common. Some people are able to complete the IBM or Google certificates on Coursera in a few days, some need a few weeks. It depends on how much time and energy you put into study.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: Also, regarding the Area of Study electives, I'm still enrolled in my program and I get enough assistance/scholarships there to not pay anything. Originally I was supposed to take CS401 Algorithms next quarter. From my understanding, its a subject fairly based on mathematical theory. Its also necessary for every other CS degree I looked at so I'm not sure I should skip it anyway. Is it possible this would transfer as an Upper Level Math course?

It won't transfer as an UL Math course, unfortunately. At best, it might get used in the Additional AOS Electives for math. You can still take it if you want, but you don't need it for TESU. The requirement it might meet for Comp Sci would be met by your Data Structures class.

(03-07-2023, 03:35 PM)SeriouslySylvia Wrote: I could take the Algorithms class next quarter while doing some of the Study.com or Coursera Gen Ed credits that are more "certain" to be needed. Or is it kind of risky to be "guessing" what I'll need, what will or wont transfer, etc?

It's not super risky, per se, but you do risk having to duplicate effort if you don't see how TESU handles your credits first. Since you only have a single transcript, from Bellevue, the only cost of seeing what's what with TESU is the $50 application fee + the cost of sending your Bellevue transcript. You will not be enrolled yet and there is no obligation to continue. I would highly recommend applying for the MATH degree, not the Computer Science degree. We have a pretty good idea of how you stand for the CS degree, but the Math degree is a bit shakier. You can then use TESU's "what if" tool to see what it'd look like for a Computer Science degree. If everything is to your liking, you can enroll fully and add the CS degree to your plan.

If you apply now, you should know where you stand with TESU within 2-3 weeks. Your application would be good for 12 months, so you can spend a little bit of time mulling things over and asking questions here.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
If you are anxious about the presentation, I agree with the advice above, script it. I did not and now that I see the idea to script it, I don't know why I tortured myself with trying to do an 'extemporaneous' presentation. I've always prepped for live presentations and you pretty much have to be extemporaneous live because you're interacting with the audience, and scripting it never occurred to me. Doing it recorded without a script is a nightmare because it is time boxed and since it is recorded small mistakes bothered me. But definitely reach out to their disability center before writing off the program for this requirement. The presentation is worth 10% of the overall grade and the 5th discussion forum starts with a post of your presentation. If you comment on others I imagine you'd at least get partial credit for that discussion, which should be worth 4% of the overall grade.

As far as the research paper you will most likely not be allowed to build something or even do a 'technical' paper. You will have to use social science applied to a technology topic essentially. Also, not much discussed, but anyone ever take the alternate capstone? https://www.tesu.edu/aci/projects/restoring-trenton This one may allow you to do some technical work, possibly some back end development, warehousing some data and building some interactive data viz stuff for the front end. I considered doing this, but decided it was more flexible for future ambitions for me to do a research paper.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
(03-07-2023, 05:31 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It's not super risky, per se, but you do risk having to duplicate effort if you don't see how TESU handles your credits first. Since you only have a single transcript, from Bellevue, the only cost of seeing what's what with TESU is the $50 application fee + the cost of sending your Bellevue transcript. You will not be enrolled yet and there is no obligation to continue. I would highly recommend applying for the MATH degree, not the Computer Science degree. We have a pretty good idea of how you stand for the CS degree, but the Math degree is a bit shakier. You can then use TESU's "what if" tool to see what it'd look like for a Computer Science degree. If everything is to your liking, you can enroll fully and add the CS degree to your plan.

If you apply now, you should know where you stand with TESU within 2-3 weeks. Your application would be good for 12 months, so you can spend a little bit of time mulling things over and asking questions here.

I agree, except that you should apply for the CS degree. That's the one that's going to have the biggest bearing on your decision. You might be able to apply for both degrees and therefore see clearly where your credits land in both of them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 115 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 207 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 322 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
  Overseas Student default 8 246 04-14-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 654 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 23 1,770 04-01-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Feedback on Paris Business School absamer 5 327 03-12-2024, 06:23 PM
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 428 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  BS CS degree for anxiety person munro 19 1,558 02-02-2024, 12:27 PM
  Help - Engineering Degree for European Student Bat1234 6 621 01-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Bat1234