Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS vs Math - Choosing major help
Heart 
Hie all, thank you for the responses...My heart is in mathematics and I think that is what I will do. I do have the fear that it may not be the most employable but I love doing math. It is frustrating but I love it to the point that even after a night out and I come home under the influence I find myself trying to do one or two problems. Lets see what happens, maybe I end up with egg on my face or I end up working within operations research. Thank you for your answers  Heart Heart Heart Heart
I think statistics, bioinformatics, mathematics, data science, data analytics, and big data are more in line with your interests and goals. There are also a lot of people with physics degrees working in math-related occupations.

If you fail to get into academics, government agencies are always looking for statisticians, and insurance companies are always looking for actuaries.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Perhaps you can do a grad certificate in Data Analytics, Finance, Accounting, Software Engineering, etc after your math degree Smile

(05-20-2019, 08:41 PM)Ideas Wrote: Perhaps you can do a grad certificate in Data Analytics, Finance, Accounting, Software Engineering, etc after your math degree Smile

Really, no matter how you do it, you'll make a funnel. You'll either START with a generic degree that is followed up with specialized training/education or you'll START with a specific degree that is followed up with highly specialized training/education.

In other words, you'll eventually need to get to the place where you are highly specialized - how long it takes you to realize what that will be is up to you and your ability to choose.

Bouncing around "trying out" entry-level positions in various careers doesn't hurt you, but it doesn't help you become specialized at anything. If you can make the use of your time during your gen eds to put a fine point on your arrow, you'll be much more efficient and your pathway to "mid-career" might only take you 5-10 years instead of 25.
I agree with davewill on his thoughts on the CS degree. Bootcamps seem to be losing steam (?) but a CS degree has and will always be more valuable than short term training. As for math, it seems to be the cornerstone for all things STEM is the math requirements. Want to be make through an engineering, CS or physics program you better know math. A math major can get into any STEM masters with just a few core courses in most cases from seeing friends do that. As others have said, pick a goal and work back from that. Best of luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 354 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,144 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 975 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Amberton website (major) redesign allvia 8 733 08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,079 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,175 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Labor Market Outcomes of College Graduates by Major by New Yotk Fed 2023 learnforlife 0 670 03-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 933 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name