Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSU changed my degree plan without notice
Good morning! I’m currently enrolled at CSU for my AAS in Occupational Safety and Health. I took the majority of my courses through StraighterLine, and intended to complete my major course requirements through CSU. I had taken nearly all of my credits for prerequisites and electives through StraighterLine, and was preparing to transfer my credits, which would only leave me with 15 credits to complete. However, on 6/4/20, while I was actively enrolled in classes, CSU changed my degree plan, and now I’m required to take 3 degree specific electives for a total of 9 credits. This will obviously delay finishing my degree, and cost me an additional $2,100~ which I’m not excited about. I do have certifications that could get me the credit I need for the new electives, but CSU is not being very helpful about what courses I could get credit for. I was hoping someone had experience with getting credit for the following certifications:
HAZWOPER 40hr
OSHA 30 hr 
NCCER Construction Site Safety Technician
NCCER Construction Site Safety Manager
NCCER Field Safety
NCCER Safety Technology
NCCER Your Role in the Green Environment  
I apologize if the formatting is off, I’m making this post from my phone. 
I am considering transferring to a different school, if anyone has any suggestions. Before my degree plan was changed to include degree specific electives, I only needed 3 math credits, and 12 major requirement credits. 
Thanks in advance for your help!
(06-19-2020, 11:06 AM)Bpreli Wrote: Good morning! I’m currently enrolled at CSU for my AAS in Occupational Safety and Health. I took the majority of my courses through StraighterLine, and intended to complete my major course requirements through CSU. I had taken nearly all of my credits for prerequisites and electives through StraighterLine, and was preparing to transfer my credits, which would only leave me with 15 credits to complete. However, on 6/4/20, while I was actively enrolled in classes, CSU changed my degree plan, and now I’m required to take 3 degree specific electives for a total of 9 credits. This will obviously delay finishing my degree, and cost me an additional $2,100~ which I’m not excited about. I do have certifications that could get me the credit I need for the new electives, but CSU is not being very helpful about what courses I could get credit for. I was hoping someone had experience with getting credit for the following certifications:
HAZWOPER 40hr
OSHA 30 hr 
NCCER Construction Site Safety Technician
NCCER Construction Site Safety Manager
NCCER Field Safety
NCCER Safety Technology
NCCER Your Role in the Green Environment  
I apologize if the formatting is off, I’m making this post from my phone. 
I am considering transferring to a different school, if anyone has any suggestions. Before my degree plan was changed to include degree specific electives, I only needed 3 math credits, and 12 major requirement credits. 
Thanks in advance for your help!

If you were a matriculated student they can’t change your degree plan.
(06-19-2020, 11:39 AM)anewmanx Wrote: If you were a matriculated student they can’t change your degree plan.

I agree.  That's why you become enrolled - so that you are locked into a catalog, and your degree requirements can't change in the middle.

I would call and talk to someone there, and ask what's going on.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
What is CSU? Colorado State University is what comes to my mind because of their Global Campus. There are a few different CSU campuses though and they don't offer associate degrees. If you're actively enrolled in a college and degree program, your degree requirements don't just changed. You're grandfathered in with your degree program for a specific period of time. Are you sure you understood what you were required to take at CSU? Normally to complete an associates degree you have to complete at least half of your credits at that college.
(06-23-2020, 10:42 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What is CSU? Colorado State University is what comes to my mind because of their Global Campus. There are a few different CSU campuses though and they don't offer associate degrees. If you're actively enrolled in a college and degree program, your degree requirements don't just changed. You're grandfathered in with your degree program for a specific period of time. Are you sure you understood what you were required to take at CSU? Normally to complete an associates degree you have to complete at least half of your credits at that college.
Columbia Southern University. They do allow up to 45 credits transferred in for an associates degree. I called and raised nine kinds of hell, and they blew me off, saying that it shouldn’t matter because I had only completed 6 credits with them at the time, but I had completed 45 additional credits elsewhere with the intention of transferring those credits, but wasn’t able to transfer them yet because my school hadn’t updated my enrollment status to reflect that they had received my official high school transcript. I was enrolled under a “provisional” status. They later told me that I could have transferred my credits at any time and that I would be under a provisional status until I had completed 12 credits with them, which is not what I had been told initially. 

I did figure it out though. I’ve submitted some OSHA certs that I already had and I’m currently working through some others that should give me credit for the new degree specific electives. It’ll delay completion of my degree slightly, but will still be cheaper than taking the 3 additional classes through CSU.

(06-22-2020, 09:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 11:39 AM)anewmanx Wrote: If you were a matriculated student they can’t change your degree plan.

I agree.  That's why you become enrolled - so that you are locked into a catalog, and your degree requirements can't change in the middle.

I have. See my other reply. Basically they gave me the run around and then I came up with a solution on my own. I’ll definitely choose a different school if I pursue my bachelors degree. This has been a real headache.
(06-23-2020, 04:59 PM)Bpreli Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 10:42 AM)ss20ts Wrote: What is CSU? Colorado State University is what comes to my mind because of their Global Campus. There are a few different CSU campuses though and they don't offer associate degrees. If you're actively enrolled in a college and degree program, your degree requirements don't just changed. You're grandfathered in with your degree program for a specific period of time. Are you sure you understood what you were required to take at CSU? Normally to complete an associates degree you have to complete at least half of your credits at that college.
Columbia Southern University. They do allow up to 45 credits transferred in for an associates degree. I called and raised nine kinds of hell, and they blew me off, saying that it shouldn’t matter because I had only completed 6 credits with them at the time, but I had completed 45 additional credits elsewhere with the intention of transferring those credits, but wasn’t able to transfer them yet because my school hadn’t updated my enrollment status to reflect that they had received my official high school transcript. I was enrolled under a “provisional” status. They later told me that I could have transferred my credits at any time and that I would be under a provisional status until I had completed 12 credits with them, which is not what I had been told initially. 

I did figure it out though. I’ve submitted some OSHA certs that I already had and I’m currently working through some others that should give me credit for the new degree specific electives. It’ll delay completion of my degree slightly, but will still be cheaper than taking the 3 additional classes through CSU.

(06-22-2020, 09:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I have. See my other reply. Basically they gave me the run around and then I came up with a solution on my own. I’ll definitely choose a different school if I pursue my bachelors degree. This has been a real headache.

Oh you're not fully enrolled and matriculated as a provisional student. Being provisional is the problem. Until you're fully enrolled and matriculated, they can change the degree program.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 150 3 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 657 3 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 61 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 343 8 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 151 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,484 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 181 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 348 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 959 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM