Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSUN - And Straighterline not transferring.
Hi everyone. I'm currently trying to help my cousin earn some credit by exam before transferring to California State Univeristy Northridge. 
Although this search engine https://study.com/academy/try/earn-college-credit.html on study.com makes it appear that Cal Northridge will accept study.com transfer credits, Cal Northridge said otherwise when I called. They said that they only accept ACE courses if they are ALSO earned from a regionally accredited school. They also said that Straighterline also lists Cal State Northridge as accepting their courses despite being asked several times (by Cal northridge) to remove them from their website. 

So all that to say, Cal Northridge basically only accepts CLEP tests and Uexcel tests. They might also accept TECEP since TESU is regionally accredited, but that one isn't listed. I know that just taking CLEP tests is an option for my cousin to earn many of his Gen Ed credits but I thought it might be more beneficial to him to earn all 60 and get an AA through TESU. Then he could go very quickly using Study.com and Straighterline and wouldn't be limited in the tests he can take. I have always been under the impression that a college either accepts your AA or doesn't (depending on what major your AA was in and what major you were doing for your bachelors, or so I thought).
However it appears (according to this page http://www.csun.edu/admissions-records/a...er-student) that maybe they can pick apart your Associates Degree and say some of the classes don't count? I always thought that a degree was a solid degree and couldn't be "broken up" but CSUN says on that page that they will ask for each of your transcripts to see all 60 credit hours. If this is the case I'm afraid they would say that all of the study.com, Straighterline, Saylor, Alex, Etc. courses don't count because they wouldn't typically accept them, even though TESU does and the AA would be from TESU. 

Am I misunderstanding something? Does anyone know how this works? I have an advising appointment with CSUN tomorrow so I can try to ask them then. Most of their employees seem very confused about the subject so I was hoping some of you might know how this will work.
I'm very familiar with the CSU schools here, and no, this is definitely not how it works. They do not have to "accept your AA" - and even if they did, it doesn't mean that they will do a block transfer (which they definitely will not). Also, they want to know where the credits came from, so they will not take any of the Study.com, SL, ALEKS, etc. courses/exams from the school that you transfer them into. They want to see the original source. So skip that entirely. They don't take ACE, except it it's military credit.

The CSU's here will accept a lot of CLEP exams, some will accept a very limited number of DSST exams. They also limit the number of credits you can use (usually 30). I'm not certain on UExcel or TECEP's, since I've never tried to transfer those. It's a hard "maybe" there, but it can't hurt to try (take a TECEP and try it).

The reason they are confused is because although they regularly take transfer credits from CC's (they have very specific articulation agreements with local CC's), and other 4-yr schools, they have absolutely zero info on ACE credit, and many will not have ever heard of a DSST. Some will know about CLEP. They will DEFINITELY not take SL credits. There is no incentive for them to do so, as CA CC's are so cheap, they encourage students to take classes there if they can't afford CSU.

I also can't find the list of CLEP exams they accept, most of the schools I've looked at have them easily available online, so that tells you a little something as well.

Oh yeah, and most CSU's won't take English Comp CLEP's at all. You have to take it at the school (or a CC). Bummer, but that's the way it is. You also have to take a lab science, so while the CLEP will work, you'll have to take a lab for your graduation requirements. There are other things like that, but those I know for certain off the top of my head.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, gremlinbrawler
I don't see CSU Northridge listed as a Straighterline partner college. No regionally accredited school is going to pay for ACE evaluations. Not even Excelsior pays for ACE evaluations anymore. This person sounds stupid.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yeah I know that they don't ever have to accept your AA but I thought that they either do or they don't and can't pick it apart after that. I guess I was wrong. 

As far as the Straighterline and Study.com thing, I think they are extremely misleading. Study.com has a search engine and if you type in CSUN it clearly comes up as "accepted". As far as Straighterline goes they don't explicitly say that you can transfer your credits to CSUN but CUSN is listed on this page http://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wor...-transfer/ under "other schools our students plan to attend". There is a disclaimer for that section but it's still very misleading in my opinion. Why would these students be taking Straighterline courses if the colleges they are planning to attend won't accept their courses?
(09-20-2017, 11:24 AM)gremlinbrawler Wrote: Yeah I know that they don't ever have to accept your AA but I thought that they either do or they don't and can't pick it apart after that. I guess I was wrong. 

As far as the Straighterline and Study.com thing, I think they are extremely misleading. Study.com has a search engine and if you type in CSUN it clearly comes up as "accepted". As far as Straighterline goes they don't explicitly say that you can transfer your credits to CSUN but CUSN is listed on this page http://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wor...-transfer/ under "other schools our students plan to attend". There is a disclaimer for that section but it's still very misleading in my opinion. Why would these students be taking Straighterline courses if the colleges they are planning to attend won't accept their courses?

I couldn't find the Study.com one at all, when I typed CSUN in their search engine on their website.

As for SL, a person might take a course to brush up on things before enrolling (maybe if it's been 30 years like it has been for me).  Or they might end up at a school where they school accepts the course, but then if they transfer to CSUN, they might not take the course - but that doesn't mean that the person "planning to go to CSUN" knows that or even cares.

I didn't think it was misleading at all.

As for accepting your AA - none of the CSU schools do it the way you want.  They have articulation agreements with local CC's, and they have well-laid-out agreements that show exactly what they will bring in.  In actuality, there is nothing about an AA/AS at all with the agreements - they show the courses you need, and you bring in those 60 credits, rather than an AA/AS.  You don't need an AA/AS at all to transfer.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you go about half way down the page at the study.com link I posted above then they have a search engine. If you type CSUN into that search engine this comes up "Great News! This school accepts ACE or NCCRS recomended credit!" And then a button to get started now to earn your degree for less with study.com. I think that is completely misleading. Straighterline on the otherhand isn't quite so bad but CSUN has clearly had a problem with people getting incorrect information from Straighterline in the past if they have had to contact them to request that they are removed from their site.
(09-20-2017, 01:36 PM)gremlinbrawler Wrote: If you go about half way down the page at the study.com link I posted above then they have a search engine. If you type CSUN into that search engine this comes up "Great News! This school accepts ACE or NCCRS recomended credit!" And then a button to get started now to earn your degree for less with study.com. I think that is completely misleading. Straighterline on the otherhand isn't quite so bad but CSUN has clearly had a problem with people getting incorrect information from Straighterline in the past if they have had to contact them to request that they are removed from their site.

Ah yes, that link worked.  That is DEFINITELY misleading.

I wonder how these schools get on these lists?  I always thought the course provider contacted them directly to check.  Apparently not.
It's probably similar to that garbage list that ACE themselves uses that counts any school that has indicated they accept CLEP or limited ACE credit on military transcripts or even just one specific ACE rec as "Considers ACE credit"
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-20-2017, 05:24 PM)jsd Wrote: It's probably similar to that garbage list that ACE themselves uses that counts any school that has indicated they accept CLEP or limited ACE credit on military transcripts or even just one specific ACE rec as "Considers ACE credit"

I'd bet a nickel that's EXACTLY how it happens. It's a soapbox issue of mine for sure. Being on the "2,000" colleges list means squat. It's total fiction and can mean that the school ISSUES ace credit as well (which is the case with my local CC that is on the list and certainly does NOT accept ACE....rather they AWARD ACE credit for a CE course they offer). You can't use that list.

You can use my "unofficial" but very thoughtfully crafted list if you like ;p
https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...lege-list/
(09-20-2017, 07:00 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 05:24 PM)jsd Wrote: It's probably similar to that garbage list that ACE themselves uses that counts any school that has indicated they accept CLEP or limited ACE credit on military transcripts or even just one specific ACE rec as "Considers ACE credit"

I'd bet a nickel that's EXACTLY how it happens. It's a soapbox issue of mine for sure. Being on the "2,000" colleges list means squat. It's total fiction and can mean that the school ISSUES ace credit as well (which is the case with my local CC that is on the list and certainly does NOT accept ACE....rather they AWARD ACE credit for a CE course they offer). You can't use that list.

You can use my "unofficial" but very thoughtfully crafted list if you like ;p
https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...lege-list/

No offense, but there are a lot of colleges that accept ACE credits and are missing from your list. This list is just as misleading as the ACE list, but for a different reason. I know for sure that you missed many colleges and universities in Texas. I don't think only looking at partner colleges is an accurate way of going about this, especially considering that these lists have grown a lot over the years. Many of these schools didn't just start accepting ACE credits; their partnerships are just new. Imagine if you put this list together a couple of years ago. You'd probably have 100 fewer colleges.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,609 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 365 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 664 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 579 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Thomas Edison State University Transferring EdwardLong 13 1,743 09-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore