Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CUNY BS-IS VS TESU BSBA-GM

Hi Guys! I just got my unofficial evaluation last week from CUNY for the BS-IS. My past RA and ACE credits helped a lot and the evaluator noted they will take 102 of my credits. 
I asked if they can somehow consider 3 more credits to utilize the 105-maximum allowed. They said they might once the official evaluation has been made after applying. 

My concern is whether I should pick CUNY for BSIS or TESU for BSGM

CUNY is reputable but I will likely need 18 credits, including residency if they don’t accept another 3cr transfer.

6 courses at CUNY VS 2 courses at TESU.
I have not applied yet at COSC. 

Cost is not much of a factor because either way, I will have to pay almost the same price range.
I am also qualified for Financial aid if that matters in any way, but not sure how much of it will cover the costs at CUNY. 

My main issue really is the amount of time I’ll spend at CUNY, which is more reputable VS TESU, which I think seems reputable too. 
I’m not really an IT person too although I did learn a lot from the Google IT coursers program and some IT courses.  
Just the idea of an Info System Capstone scares me more than a Business Capstone. 
A career in both industries is lucrative indeed but the amount of time completing 18 credits plus the capstone discourages me unless I do not need to be?

What do you guys think?

Here are the remaining courses I would need at CUNY

Systems Analysis & Design (IS 320) 3 credits 
E-Commerce for Info Systems (IS 326) 3 credits 
IS Strategy, Mgmt & Acquisition (IS 350) 3 credits 
Bus Process Design & Workflow Analysis (IS 374) 3 credits
Capstone (IS 499) 3 credits 

Track Courses: 15 Credits [Choose MGMT Track or TECH Track]  - got all 12 credits covered in MGMT so that is the last one I would need.

Logistics & Supply Chain Management (IS 330) 3 credits 

[-] The following 2 users Like JC39's post:
  • MDela3, MrPanda
(08-17-2020, 07:24 PM)JC39 Wrote:  

Hi Guys! I just got my unofficial evaluation last week from CUNY for the BS-IS. My past RA and ACE credits helped a lot and the evaluator noted they will take 102 of my credits. 
I asked if they can somehow consider 3 more credits to utilize the 105-maximum allowed. They said they might once the official evaluation has been made after applying. 

CUNY is reputable but I will likely need 18 credits, including residency if they don’t accept another 3cr transfer.

Cost is not much of a factor because either way, I will have to pay almost the same price range.
I am also qualified for Financial aid if that matters in any way, but not sure how much of it will cover the costs at CUNY. 

My main issue really is the amount of time I’ll spend at CUNY, which is more reputable VS TESU, which I think seems reputable too. 
I’m not really an IT person too although I did learn a lot from the Google IT coursers program and some IT courses.  
Just the idea of an Info System Capstone scares me more than a Business Capstone. 
A career in both industries is lucrative indeed but the amount of time completing 18 credits plus the capstone discourages me unless I do not need to be?

What do you guys think?

Track Courses: 15 Credits [Choose MGMT Track or TECH Track]  - got all 12 credits covered in MGMT so that is the last one I would need.

Are you comparing like to like?  Can you do a "what if" for TESU's BSBA-CIS and see if you still need just one class for a TESU degree?
I think if you're a NY resident it's a no brainer due to TAP. If you're not, then it may be a bit more a decision to be made. CUNY is a world renowned university. TESU isn't. So depending on what you want in life, that recognition may be what sways you.
(09-17-2020, 07:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote: CUNY is a world renowned university. TESU isn't. So depending on what you want in life, that recognition may be what sways you.

I agree. CUNY is a real B&M university.
If you want to apply for offline jobs, CUNY credential will be more helpful.

[Image: j-dean-diploma.jpg]

CUNY's diploma looks great! Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • MDela3, Pikachu
TESU is also a real B&M university. They just don't have the same prestige that other universities do.
If that "qualified for Financial" is a Pell Grant then CUNY for sure, as you'd have less (possibly no) out of pocket expense.  If you mean "qualified for Financial" as in student loans - then you're back to the CUNY vs TESU.   I do like the idea of a BSIS being followed up with an affordable MBA - like WGU (for your business goals). There is not as much local benefit to CUNY even if you are in NY as TESU is from a school next door (NJ). My gut says if money is the same (or near equal) - get the degree you'll finish sooner than later.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-18-2020, 07:16 AM)allvia Wrote: If that "qualified for Financial" is a Pell Grant then CUNY for sure, as you'd have less (possibly no) out of pocket expense.  If you mean "qualified for Financial" as in student loans - then you're back to the CUNY vs TESU.   I do like the idea of a BSIS being followed up with an affordable MBA - like WGU (for your business goals). There is not as much local benefit to CUNY even if you are in NY as TESU is from a school next door (NJ). My gut says if money is the same (or near equal) - get the degree you'll finish sooner than later.

There is a benefit for CUNY if you're in NY. It's called TAP. It's a state education grant. It's only given to NYS residents who attend colleges in NYS. So if the OP is a NY resident and chooses TESU over CUNY, they're loosing out on a TAP award. 

CUNY is also a world renowned university. WGU isn't. It's not well known. CUNY is known nationwide and across the globe. There's something to be said about that.
(09-18-2020, 11:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 07:16 AM)allvia Wrote: If that "qualified for Financial" is a Pell Grant then CUNY for sure, as you'd have less (possibly no) out of pocket expense.  If you mean "qualified for Financial" as in student loans - then you're back to the CUNY vs TESU.   I do like the idea of a BSIS being followed up with an affordable MBA - like WGU (for your business goals). There is not as much local benefit to CUNY even if you are in NY as TESU is from a school next door (NJ). My gut says if money is the same (or near equal) - get the degree you'll finish sooner than later.

There is a benefit for CUNY if you're in NY. It's called TAP. It's a state education grant. It's only given to NYS residents who attend colleges in NYS. So if the OP is a NY resident and chooses TESU over CUNY, they're loosing out on a TAP award. 

CUNY is also a world renowned university. WGU isn't. It's not well known. CUNY is known nationwide and across the globe. There's something to be said about that.

Thank you for clarifying what TAP is. Since TAP falls under "qualified for Financial" as grant money (like a Pell is grant $, not borrowed) that would definitely have a positive impact on out of pocket costs - my point being that not borrowing money is the best route, qualifying for financial aid does not mean no debt (student loans are considered financial aid).  Is the OP from NYS - I didn't see that mentioned?

My mention of WGU was in reference to an MBA after the OP received a BSIS from CUNY - as they stated Business was their interest, not IT - "I’m not really an IT person...". I wasn't suggesting at all that the OP choose WGU over CUNY.  Also, whether or not a degree from CUNY adds more value, or offers greater professional success, than one from TESU to the OP varies based on far more factors than the reputation of CUNY alone. So to be clear, I stand by the opinion stated in my original posting.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

If you only have this degree, I will go CUNY all the way. It will open more doors and be seen as a known university. TESU is unknown to most people, which will be seen as a another Uni.
This does not mean one is better than the other, just what is more easy to recognize.
Outside the States CUNY has a name while TESU has not. Also it is more easy to get a job or recognition from CUNY. Maybe in the future TESU get a wider spread name, but right now is not the case.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kab's post:
  • nomaduser, ss20ts
(09-18-2020, 02:59 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 11:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

Thank you for clarifying what TAP is. Since TAP falls under "qualified for Financial" as grant money (like a Pell is grant $, not borrowed) that would definitely have a positive impact on out of pocket costs - my point being that not borrowing money is the best route, qualifying for financial aid does not mean no debt (student loans are considered financial aid).  Is the OP from NYS - I didn't see that mentioned?

My mention of WGU was in reference to an MBA after the OP received a BSIS from CUNY - as they stated Business was their interest, not IT - "I’m not really an IT person...". I wasn't suggesting at all that the OP choose WGU over CUNY.  Also, whether or not a degree from CUNY adds more value, or offers greater professional success, than one from TESU to the OP varies based on far more factors than the reputation of CUNY alone. So to be clear, I stand by the opinion stated in my original posting.
WGU is not a quality school. I would never recommend it to anyone.

(08-17-2020, 07:24 PM)JC39 Wrote:  

What do you guys think?

I got my associates degree in CIS online from the SUNY system: SUNY Online Programs

It was the same degree and courses as the on campus option. SUNY Online offers many CIS degree programs that are high quality and very affordable. Also, they have a seamless transfer program to other schools within SUNY, CUNY and out of state schools as well. I graduated with no debt.

After my AAS degree in CIS, I was considering WGU and some other non-state, private school options. (I am a major critical thinker and I have a habit of doing deep research on things before I invest.) I did tremendous amount research on WGU graduation rate data, their retention rate data and their starting salary for graduates rate. I found out that WGU has one of the worst rates across the board. They perform worse than for-profit institutions. Although they are cheaper than for profit schools, the quality of education and the lack of resources for student success turned me off as well. They are very pushy in their marketing with me. I don't like that. I like to see data. Data shows results not a commercial with an owl in it. 

I was considering NYU SPS' MIS degree program, but I found it to be too costly for my taste. I did not want to go into debt for my bachelor's. After much deliberation, I chose CUNY SPS for their Information Systems program with a minor in Business. Best decision of my career. The tuition is same in state or out of state residency for ONLINE programs. CUNY SPS Tuition Rates

I was able to score a few scholarships within CUNY SPS. I was able to take some free courses during my two summer there and they accept CLEP credits, work experience credits, and certification credits. Also, CUNY has top notch connections and opportunities. They have their CUNY Internship Program, pipeline programs with various organizations such as top tech and finance companies as well as the NYC City Agencies Fellowship that is only open to CUNY students. They really have top career development prospects. I got testing vouchers for the CYSA+, AWS Cloud and CCNA examS for free and bumped out 5 classes for my degree through CUNY's partnership with Per Scholas, NPower and other non-profit career programs. I graduated with a 3.8 GPA, three career certifications, no debt and a salary of 90k as a NOC/SOC analyst at a major firm. My salary went from 60k to 90k after graduation. 

Because of CUNY, they open doors for me that I never thought that was possible. In the span of 4 1/2 years I went from IT Help Desk Analyst > Network Engineer > NOC/SOC Analyst and now I will be starting Monday a new promotional position as a SOC Lead with a major pay bump! 

I am also pursuing my MBA in Info Security Management/Cybersecurity at a public university online. If you are looking for a good MBA program online. Three things you should consider, the AACSB accreditation, cost and the quality of the institution. 

** AAS in Computer Information Systems with a focus in Cybersecurity/Information Assurance - FLCC 2018 **
** BS in Information Systems, minor in Business - CUNY SPS 2020 **
** MBA in Info Security Management/Cybersecurity - USF 2023 **

____________________________________________________________________________________

Since you live in NJ how far are you from NYC? If not far, go for CUNY. The connections, resources and quality of education will propel you forward in your career now and in the future. If you are looking for MBA programs online with a focus on Tech Management or General Management there are plenty affordable and quality ones. Here are a few I came across. 

SUNY Poly MBA 
SUNY Stonybrook MBA 
University of South Florida MBA
UT Dallas MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,351 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 411 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 937 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,595 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 964 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,333 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,160 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,626 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,112 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS v.s. SNHU BSCS npvn2 25 4,053 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: npvn2