Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CUNY - Online Degree Completion ($4,575! Transfer up to 105 credits out of 120!)
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergrad...r-learning

"The total of prior learning credit from portfolio evaluation, examination, non-collegiate learning, and corporate or military training cannot exceed 45 credits. The total of all prior learning credit, including transfer credit, cannot exceed 105 credits. To earn a CUNY SPS bachelor’s degree, students must complete 15 credits of CUNY SPS coursework."

I found CUNY allows you to transfer up to 105 credits!
Max 45 can be ACE credits from Saylor Academy but they won't accept sophia.org and study.com ACE credits.

They offer lots majors to choose from:
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergraduate

Each of their credit costs $305. So remaining 15 credits will cost you $4,575 (15 x $305)!
CUNY has a good academic reputation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Unive...f_New_York

In my opinion, this is the most affordable online degree from a well-known university.
I'd recommend you guys to consider this option over Excelsior College.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-02-2020, 05:16 AM)nomaduser Wrote: "The total of prior learning credit from portfolio evaluation, examination, non-collegiate learning, and corporate or military training cannot exceed 45 credits. The total of all prior learning credit, including transfer credit, cannot exceed 105 credits. To earn a CUNY SPS bachelor’s degree, students must complete 15 credits of CUNY SPS coursework."

Max 45 can be ACE credits from Saylor Academy but they won't accept sophia.org and study.com ACE credits.

Each of their credit costs $305. So remaining 15 credits will cost you $4,575  (15 x $305)!

In my opinion, this is the most affordable online degree from a well-known university.

Given that they only accept up to 45 ACE credits (and don't accept the largest ACE provider) this seems like it would be a challenging destination choice for people coming in with zero credits or otherwise less than 60 RA credits that apply to the target degree at CUNY. If you are unable to transfer 60 RA credits and 45 ACE credits, you'll need to take more than 15 credits from the college directly. That will increase costs and time significantly.

You can transfer 113 ACE credits to EC and only have the balance to take directly from the college.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-02-2020, 06:18 AM)Merlin Wrote: Given that they only accept up to 45 ACE credits (and don't accept the largest ACE provider) this seems like it would be a challenging destination choice for people coming in with zero credits or otherwise less than 60 RA credits that apply to the target degree at CUNY. If you are unable to transfer 60 RA credits and 45 ACE credits, you'll need to take more than 15 credits from the college directly. That will increase costs and time significantly.

You can transfer 113 ACE credits to EC and only have the balance to take directly from the college.

That's true. So, if you have 60 credits from a regionally accredited institutions, this can be a good option. i.e. you can take ASU's earned admission courses to make up that 60 credits. ASU confirmed that they will issue the same main campus transcript for earned admission students. And you can add 45 Saylor Academy ACE credits on top of that. You'll be able to easily make up that 105 transferable credits. Each of ASU's earned admission 3-credit courses costs $99 until middle of August. Or try in-state community college...
  • Pikachu
It would be difficult to get 60 credits (20 classes) completed through ASU EA for $99 each if one started right now. However, after you consider the technology fees and other assorted per-credit fees that you might get charged at a community college, even $400 each for a class can be a bargain. That's $8k for 60 credits. It'd be about on par with Clovis which would be at least $413 per 3-credit-course (after fees) and you don't have the option of not paying Clovis if you don't like the grade like you do with ASU.

Still not as good as one of the big three in terms of what is and is not accepted but it ccould still be an option if for students who really want one of those degrees.
(08-02-2020, 05:16 AM)nomaduser Wrote: https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergrad...r-learning

"The total of prior learning credit from portfolio evaluation, examination, non-collegiate learning, and corporate or military training cannot exceed 45 credits. The total of all prior learning credit, including transfer credit, cannot exceed 105 credits. To earn a CUNY SPS bachelor’s degree, students must complete 15 credits of CUNY SPS coursework."

They offer lots majors to choose from:
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergraduate

Each of their credit costs $305. So remaining 15 credits will cost you $4,575  (15 x $305)!
CUNY has a good academic reputation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Unive...f_New_York

Tuition is $305 per credit for NYS residents ONLY. $620 per credit to everyone else.

https://sps.cuny.edu/financial-aid-and-t...ergraduate

CUNY is part of the state university system in NYC. There's SUNY and CUNY. THey're somewhat tied together. Somewhat not. They're both taxpayer funded.
(08-02-2020, 10:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Tuition is $305 per credit for NYS residents ONLY. $620 per credit to everyone else.
"Please note: Students in online degree programs pay the New York State tuition rate and do not need to establish residency."
[-] The following 2 users Like unfilteredsoul's post:
  • gams007, nomaduser
(08-02-2020, 11:26 AM)unfilteredsoul Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 10:36 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Tuition is $305 per credit for NYS residents ONLY. $620 per credit to everyone else.
"Please note: Students in online degree programs pay the New York State tuition rate and do not need to establish residency."

Don't forget the CUNY fees. Due to this year's budget crisis, this may change. I wouldn't be surprised if it does.
(08-02-2020, 06:55 AM)nomaduser Wrote: That's true. So, if you have 60 credits from a regionally accredited institutions, this can be a good option. i.e. you can take ASU's earned admission courses to make up that 60 credits. ASU confirmed that they will issue the same main campus transcript for earned admission students. And you can add 45 Saylor Academy ACE credits on top of that. You'll be able to easily make up that 105 transferable credits. Each of ASU's earned admission 3-credit courses costs $99 until middle of August. Or try in-state community college...

I don't think you'll be able to complete that many courses via ASU before that deal ends. Plus, taking 15 courses via Saylor seems like a terrible punishment. I don't think that I'd recommend that anyone try this.

Saylor is hard to beat price wise so I tried them back in the day but decided against them after a single class as I found their course prep material to be inadequate and the exams didn't match the course content. I found Shmoop to be about the same quality of education to me. Neither of those providers hold a candle to Straighterline or Study.com in terms of academic quality. This makes me wonder who is handling the CUNY ACE evaluations.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • nomaduser, rachel83az

https://sps.cuny.edu/financial-aid-and-t...ergraduate

Online students will pay in-state tuition. So the price is $305 per credit for online, non-resident students.

So you need to get 60 credits from a regionally accredited college somehow... (try TECEP exam or cheap community college?) and take Saylor Academy online exams to get the 45 ACE credits ($25 per each exam).

Luna Community College charges $38/credit for out-of-state residents for 6 credits per semester. Maybe a cheap community college like Luna College can give you that 60 RA credits. You'll have to discuss with CUNY's advisor.

CUNY allows you to take 15 credits per semester so after you successfully transfer in all of 105 credits, you'll be able to graduate by taking one 8-week-long semester for $4,500.

(08-02-2020, 04:28 PM)Merlin Wrote: This makes me wonder who is handling the CUNY ACE evaluations.

Yes, let's send them a complaint email about it. In my opinion, study.com provides the best education and exam experience among ACE credit providers. They should consider taking study.com ACE credits.

Here's more info about their 45 exam credits requirements:
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergrad...xamination

You can choose to take a combination of Saylor Academy, CLEP, UExcel, DSST (now online proctored), etc.
  • Pikachu
Maybe CUNY can make 'The Big Four' ... If TECEP exam credit can transfer to CUNY as regionally accredited college credit, CUNY can be the fourth best option.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 255 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,141 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 205 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,603 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 348 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM