Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cal State Online Fall 2020
(05-23-2020, 12:51 PM)ARhead Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 11:14 AM)dfrecore Wrote: But, as usual, government is all about not looking at the unintended consequences of their actions (hence people who won't go back to work because they're getting more in unemployment than they would get if they worked - now who would have seen that coming? Oh yeah, EVERYONE except the dopes who thought of it.).

Is that the big news in Breitbart these days? Or did I miss Rush this morning?....It's funny how well people can get played. All the tax cut trillions and bailout money going to the ultra-rich and corporations that only needed bailouts because of years of stock buybacks payed for by accumulating corporate debt (hence needing the bailouts) solely to enrich executives at the expense of gutting the companies.....Not to mention the worst wealth inequality in your history. After all that, you feel that where the economic focus should be is on some guy in Arkansas making $6 an hour at a slaughterhouse with rampant covid spread who doesn't want to infect his family. THAT'S WHERE THE FOCUS SHOULD BE?.......GET REAL.
Seeing as this is a medical issue those trained in that profession are probably first and foremost the ones who should be listened to. If the bare minimums had been implemented in the beginning (having enough masks and wearing masks being mandatory for the entire population, and test test test) the situation would have played out completely different. Or even just not denying the virus was real instead of saying it was a democratic hoax, might have been a start. Most of Asia is a prime example, EVERYONE wore masks from the very beginning, therefor, the outcome was far better.

When a sizable percentage of a population is comprised of utterly brain-dead yokels and religious fundamentalists screaming "MAH FREEDOM" over the safety and needs of the larger population, things are not going to get better. I fully support their freedom to infect themselves if we could quarantine these people somewhere, but unfortunately we can't. Even your freakin president won't wear a mask, I'm not sure why, maybe just to spite those with a few brain cells working in tandem.
"well-rounded group of folks advising the President".......Apples don't fall far from the tree.

Second wave incoming.

I don't do Breitbart OR Rush, so I don't really know what you're referring to.  The fact that I pointed out unemployment is just a fact - you don't have to believe me, go find it on some liberal news outlet that will trumpet the facts loudly, because they are THRILLED that unemployment is high, hoping that Trump won't get reelected because of it, even if people have to suffer.

I'm not brain-dead, nor am I a religious fundamentalist.  I just think this whole thing was mishandled from the start, there's no good way to protect the population AND keep the economy running well.  But shutting everything down certainly didn't help much - more than 60% of all Covid deaths in CA are in LA County.  Our entire state went from a surplus to a deficit in 2 months over a single county.  There are counties here that don't have a single case, and yet they were ordered to shut down, even though they are mostly filled with farmers, and mom-and-pop shops that may go out of business, unlike many large businesses where people can work from home easily.

This whole thing is a hot mess, and there is no logical reason we had to clamp down as hard as we did in some states, or in every county in every state.  There's no correlation between states that shut down early and hard vs. ones that stayed open in the % of deaths; some like NY have TONS of deaths (148/100k), while CA doesn't even though they had a similar reaction to things (9/100k).  Some like Arkansas never shut down, while Idaho did, and they have the same % of deaths (5/100k).

And the fact that millions of kids did almost no learning over the past couple of months, and how far behind many of them will be...I don't even want to think about that.  It's going to be a freaking disaster by the fall and will only get worse in states that remain shut down.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-23-2020, 05:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There's no correlation between states that shut down early and hard vs. ones that stayed open in the % of deaths; some like NY have TONS of deaths (148/100k), while CA doesn't even though they had a similar reaction to things (9/100k).

Technically, there has been research in this area and there is a correlation. Potentially several.

The biggest factor comes down to timing on the lockdown. Another factor is population density. California locked down a week before New York, and San Francisco locked down a few days before the rest of California. That fact alone is a huge cause for a reduction in death counts because with fewer people acting as potential carriers, the spread of the virus was curtailed. Waiting a week meant that the virus was able to spread further and faster and by the time people locked down, it was already in a lot of homes.

Another factor is population density. NYC is the city with the highest population density in the US, followed closely by San Francisco. Because of how closely packed together people are in NYC, the transmission rate is much higher. This is particularly important because of the delay in lockdown relative to San Francisco. Had San Francisco waited to lock down until New York, it is likely the ratio of infections and deaths per capita would be much closer.

Another factor is the use of public transportation, where NYC also leads other cities. Since many (most?) people in NYC don't even own a vehicle, the use of public transportation is also likely to have accelerated their infection rate and lead to higher death rates.

Los Angeles locked down a few days after San Francisco, but doesn't have the same population density or public transportation usage as either NYC or SF. However, they do have a higher overall population (just more spread out) than SF. So they got hit harder in total due to the higher number of people in LA county, but the overall infection rate is still lower overall due to the lockdown.

(05-23-2020, 05:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Some like Arkansas never shut down, while Idaho did, and they have the same % of deaths (5/100k).

You can probably attribute that to lower population density and less reliance on public transportation. But I don't know the details about those places. I have read the studies comparing NYC to SF though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsd, rachel83az
As LifeLongLearning said:
"Democrat California governor Gavin Newsom is cutting higher education by $1.7 billion.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...es-clearer"

CA colleges, universities, and even some K-12 public schools will be online this next semester/year not because of fear of the virus but because they don't have the money to sanitize classrooms according to the CDC guidelines.
It's not so much a virus issue, but more of a money issue to follow regulations.

Marie
Newsom begs for ‘moral’ fed bailout, threatens to cut first responders, as millions go to illegal immigrants

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/05/20/...nts-923529
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Why is EVERYONE Leaving CALIFORNIA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjnrgWPxhbY
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-25-2020, 09:37 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Why is EVERYONE Leaving CALIFORNIA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjnrgWPxhbY

Cute video... it needs less singing though. That video would be more useful with data that backs up some of the claims. It would have been nice if they had included more information about who is leaving and why. Maybe some surveys or something.

Based on my own limited research, it seems like the majority of the people actively relocating out of California are from Orange County. I imagine that most of that is because of political reasons. The second-highest demographic of people leaving are probably people in the San Francisco bay area because of the ridiculous housing costs and overall high cost of living. I know my family often considers leaving for that reason. Right now is particularly bad since so many people are unemployed and now unable to make their lease/mortgage payments. California also loses a ton of people right after major earthquakes or wildfires.

That said, the job market attracts a ton of new people every year, so while more people are leaving than entering, the overall number of people leaving isn't that great when you normalize for population size. I'd be curious to see how California compares to other states on a percentage of population basis in terms of immigration vs emigration.

As it happens, after being back in CA for the last 10 years, my family will probably be leaving California later in the year--once it is safe to do so (re: Covid). However, this is due to a new business opportunity rather than for any of the reasons listed above.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • harrypotter, jsd, Life Long Learning
(05-13-2020, 08:47 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 07:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: We are seriously considering moving to a state that is opening up just to get away from this nanny state.  It's ridiculous.

Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.

And I'm not.  We are in escrow and are taking our tax dollars and leaving! Adios CA!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Holy cow this thread derailed.
(06-25-2020, 11:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Holy cow this thread derailed.

Happens all the time.  But, this is in the off-topic section, so I think it's allowed. :-)
(06-26-2020, 11:29 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 11:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Holy cow this thread derailed.

Happens all the time.  But, this is in the off-topic section, so I think it's allowed. :-)

Just a reminder that that Cal State is likely going online for Fall 2020. Except now the internet says that is not for sure. Who knows?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Halloween 2020! bjcheung77 2 948 10-31-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,458 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 520 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  NPR Labeled "State-Affiliated" by Twitter LevelUP 6 784 04-10-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 426 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
Shocked A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state! LevelUP 8 1,151 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Easiest State to Become a Certified Teacher - Arizona??? sanantone 8 1,292 11-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Antarctic Theocratic State of San Giorgio Alpha 0 456 09-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 464 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US Expat Response to the State of America Kal Di 1 572 06-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP