Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Coast University - Anyone done a Masters? Graduate Certificate?
First, I know it's NA, and that's okay.  My BS and MS are both RA.

So I'll finish my MS Management and Leadership at WGU by March.  By the way, it is easily doable in a 6-month term... but I fooled around and it's costing me 3-months of a second term at $4000.  

I want to move from healthcare administration where I have spent my whole career, into HR.  So... I'm thinking of doing a HR graduate certificate through CCU... and then I was looking at the CCU MBA in Human Resources... maybe?   If I do the certificate first, then all 4 courses apply to the MBA.  That would leave 8 courses to get the MBA.

But, I'd like to know if anyone has actually done a graduate certificate or a Masters.  If so, what were your thoughts and experience?

I didn't know much about the school until I saw one of my VP's resume and saw he got his Masters there.  Smile
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Maybe a graduate cert in HR or an HR professional certification like a PHR (or one of its other variations) might get you to the same place faster and cheaper?
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(12-23-2020, 03:01 AM)eLearner Wrote: Maybe a graduate cert in HR or an HR professional certification like a PHR (or one of its other variations) might get you to the same place faster and cheaper?

I agree, you might be better off getting a PHR or SHRM-CP, lots more companies ask for those than a master's degree.  Especially if you don't have HR experience, I think getting a master's might make it harder to get a job rather than easier - you're going to look over-educated and over-qualified for a LOT of jobs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • eLearner
(12-23-2020, 11:35 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 03:01 AM)eLearner Wrote: Maybe a graduate cert in HR or an HR professional certification like a PHR (or one of its other variations) might get you to the same place faster and cheaper?

I agree, you might be better off getting a PHR or SHRM-CP, lots more companies ask for those than a master's degree.  Especially if you don't have HR experience, I think getting a master's might make it harder to get a job rather than easier - you're going to look over-educated and over-qualified for a LOT of jobs.

There is a lot of truth to that. I have seen people who only had a Bachelors be considered overqualified because they also had a ton of work experience. We're told so often that education is important, then when some get it they're blocked off because of it due to the ignorance of others.

The main reason I suggested looking into certs is because she is close to finishing a Masters already at WGU in Management and Leadership. The certs may get her where she wants to go faster and more economically after that than getting another Masters even if it is in HR.
To be frank, I'd probably suggest going to ENEB and paying $200 for the Master of Human Resource Management. Not because I have some ridiculous loyalty to ENEB, but because if you already have an RA degree and want something cheap and fast without particularly needing more credentials, that's the best option on the market.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Thorne's post:
  • datby98, eLearner
(12-23-2020, 01:32 PM)Thorne Wrote: To be frank, I'd probably suggest going to ENEB and paying $200 for the Master of Human Resource Management. Not because I have some ridiculous loyalty to ENEB, but because if you already have an RA degree and want something cheap and fast without particularly needing more credentials, that's the best option on the market.

From a strictly cost-savings point, you can't beat that. So with cost checked off, then you have time to factor in. Luckily, the courses are entirely self-paced so the amount of time would be totally up to her effort and time management.

I don't need to work about looking overqualified.  I am, as I am old.  I'm just looking for a retirement job.

I'm working on my SHRM - I have enough hours to qualify even though I haven't worked in HR.

(12-23-2020, 11:58 AM)eLearner Wrote:

There is a lot of truth to that. I have seen people who only had a Bachelors be considered overqualified because they also had a ton of work experience. We're told so often that education is important, then when some get it they're blocked off because of it due to the ignorance of others.

The main reason I suggested looking into certs is because she is close to finishing a Masters already at WGU in Management and Leadership. The certs may get her where she wants to go faster and more economically after that than getting another Masters even if it is in HR.

I stated i was looking at the cert from CCU.  I may want to do a MBA later as well.
Denise

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

I think I need to stay with a US NA or RA, as HR likes those better. Smile
Denise

Or get your MBA at WGU. Some of the courses from your MA will transfer into the MBA I believe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(12-22-2020, 08:40 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: First, I know it's NA, and that's okay.  My BS and MS are both RA.

So I'll finish my MS Management and Leadership at WGU by March.  By the way, it is easily doable in a 6-month term... but I fooled around and it's costing me 3-months of a second term at $4000.  

I want to move from healthcare administration where I have spent my whole career, into HR.  So... I'm thinking of doing a HR graduate certificate through CCU... and then I was looking at the CCU MBA in Human Resources... maybe?   If I do the certificate first, then all 4 courses apply to the MBA.  That would leave 8 courses to get the MBA.

But, I'd like to know if anyone has actually done a graduate certificate or a Masters.  If so, what were your thoughts and experience?

I didn't know much about the school until I saw one of my VP's resume and saw he got his Masters there.  Smile

I received both of my Undergrads from Excelsior College (RA) and both Graduate Degrees from CalCoast (MS Psychology and MBA in Management).  BOTH of these CalCoast degrees allowed me to teach at the collegiate level as an adjunct professor.  
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShotoJuku's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 207 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,048 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,044 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 262 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger