Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can ACE credits be reused towards different degrees?
It depends on the school and the degree. If you got a Comp Sci degree and filled it with Psych credits, graduated, and then decided to come back months later for a Psych degree, you would have to take a certain number of new credits beyond the date of when you graduated. Even if your old Psych credits met the requirements otherwise.

At TESU, if you graduate with Comp Sci and Psych at the exact same time, you wouldn't need to get whole new Psych credits because you're graduating with both at the same time.

If you got a Psych degree at school a and then wanted another psych degree at school b, that's probably not going to be allowed no matter how many new psych credits you obtained.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Ok, thought that all credits, having to come from the source, let's say ACE, if the two degrees are in different fields then you can safely transfer all those credits towards that degree, since it is in a different field and at a different school, they cannot say I cannot.
(06-15-2021, 04:37 PM)Student87 Wrote: Ok, thought that all credits, having to come from the source, let's say ACE, if the two degrees are in different fields then you can safely transfer all those credits towards that degree, since it is in a different field and at a different school, they cannot say I cannot.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

Are you being told by some school that you cannot use your Psych credits to get a Psych degree because you already have something like a degree in English?
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
What degree do you already have and from what school? What degree do you want to complete now from which school? Every school has different policies.
(06-15-2021, 04:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 04:37 PM)Student87 Wrote: Ok, thought that all credits, having to come from the source, let's say ACE, if the two degrees are in different fields then you can safely transfer all those credits towards that degree, since it is in a different field and at a different school, they cannot say I cannot.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

Are you being told by some school that you cannot use your Psych credits to get a Psych degree because you already have something like a degree in English?

Not really, I don't have a psych degree, I used psych as an example, I was just trying to understand how it works, in the case I want to transfer my ACE credits to a different school for a different degree after I complete this one.
The explanation of how credits apply when reusing them for a different degree seemed confusing.

(06-15-2021, 04:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What degree do you already have and from what school? What degree do you want to complete now from which school? Every school has different policies.

I don't have one yet, I don't know if I want another degree from a different school afterward.
It can seem confusing because it's going to be different at every school. While not universal, you can generally expect that the gen ed requirements for a second degree will be waived completely while you will have to complete at least most of the credits in the major or area of study - even if you already have similar credits.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
@Student87 - It's a hypothetical question. And you'll get hypothetical answers, which means it all depends on the institution you go to as they have the final say. You can reuse X amount of ACE credits for the second degree at that institution as long as they accept ACE and has a set limit. You just need to complete the remaining requirements for that specific degree.

They will have a reference from the National Student Clearing House, they'll know your first degree is a BA in whatever major and from whichever college you attended (and it's on your transcripts). So for example, you have a BA in English and you want to reuse all the credits in your ACE to another school that will transfer a max of 90 ACE credits into a BA Pysch, you technically can transfer all 90 credits into that degree and finish the 30 credits with the second institution.

Note: This will only work if all your credits are accepted and also hit each and every requirement that is needed for the degree, schools have a residency requirement of at least 30 credits, you'll have to complete that there - no way out of that.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The real answer: it depends. It depends on the 2nd school's policies, it depends on the degree, it depends on lots of things. There is no one answer.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-15-2021, 05:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Student87 - It's a hypothetical question.  And you'll get hypothetical answers, which means it all depends on the institution you go to as they have the final say.   You can reuse X amount of ACE credits for the second degree at that institution as long as they accept ACE and has a set limit.  You just need to complete the remaining requirements for that specific degree.

They will have a reference from the National Student Clearing House, they'll know your first degree is a BA in whatever major and from whichever college you attended (and it's on your transcripts).  So for example, you have a BA in English and you want to reuse all the credits in your ACE to another school that will transfer a max of 90 ACE credits into a BA Pysch, you technically can transfer all 90 credits into that degree and finish the 30 credits with the second institution.

Note: This will only work if all your credits are accepted and also hit each and every requirement that is needed for the degree, schools have a residency requirement of at least 30 credits, you'll have to complete that there - no way out of that.

That's assuming school #2 accepts ACE credits. Some schools also have RA credit requirements. The easiest answer is it depends. There's no cut and dry path to this because it's all hypothetical.
(06-15-2021, 08:32 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 05:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Student87 - It's a hypothetical question.  And you'll get hypothetical answers, which means it all depends on the institution you go to as they have the final say.   You can reuse X amount of ACE credits for the second degree at that institution as long as they accept ACE and has a set limit.  You just need to complete the remaining requirements for that specific degree.

They will have a reference from the National Student Clearing House, they'll know your first degree is a BA in whatever major and from whichever college you attended (and it's on your transcripts).  So for example, you have a BA in English and you want to reuse all the credits in your ACE to another school that will transfer a max of 90 ACE credits into a BA Pysch, you technically can transfer all 90 credits into that degree and finish the 30 credits with the second institution.

That's assuming school #2 accepts ACE credits. Some schools also have RA credit requirements. The easiest answer is it depends. There's no cut and dry path to this because it's all hypothetical.

Now it makes a little more sense, thanks, and yes I was thinking about the RA requirements as well. Plus, if one transfers to a foreign degree, it doesn't go through student clearing house.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 691 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 215 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 190 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,208 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 599 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 599 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,107 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 655 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,406 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,183 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded