Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I get tax education credits for SDC?
I have been studying at Study.com all year, paying all year. I can get an education credit on my US federal taxes for paying tuition at colleges. Can one get credit for study.com tuition?
No - because it's not a college.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Long story short, no

Quote:An eligible educational institution means a college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution that's accredited and eligible to participate in the federal financial student aid programs administered by the Department of Education.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/childcare-credi...on-credits

dfrecore not only beat me to it, but made the story even shorter Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • dfrecore
If it’s continued education for job performance I would deduct it.

This would be different than a tax credit. I wrote off my accounting courses since I do bookkeeping every few days.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Quote:If it’s continued education for job performance I would deduct it.

There would not be anywhere to deduct it. Unreimbursed employee expenses went away with the Tax Cuts Job Act.
(02-03-2020, 07:58 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote:
Quote:If it’s continued education for job performance I would deduct it.

There would not be anywhere to deduct it. Unreimbursed employee expenses went away with the Tax Cuts Job Act.

True, but
If one is self employed, then check out IRS tax topic 513 (and the associated Publication 970) for work related education expenses for more information how it might apply on schedule c business expense.   I don't know if it does or does not. Just mentioning one possible place to look for more information on the ins and outs of when it is and when education expense is not a qualified expense for self employed. some times it is. some times it is not an expense. many variables.

(agreeing with the case for original question that sdc is not a college, so no "credit" on that part. business expense is a separate but related topic)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • videogamesrock
You can tie it into a business and use it as a business expense. I have one LLC that invests in oil Trusts which receives monthly dividends. That might be an option. You’ll receive a 1099 from the Trust directly at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Doing this whole business thing is confusing. For the average person, with no business expenses, the answer is just no.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Here is the link to setup a TD business account. The account will grant checks and a debit card, and you can invest in dividend paying stocks, or publicly traded oil trusts, futures, options, or boring but effective index funds! For now you can choose the sole proprietor account option and poof you're in business. Most states do not require sole proprietors to register. You'll use your own social instead of a tax id. If you're going to spend a few thousand on accounting, finance, business courses, they should pair nicely with your new venture.

https://www.tdameritrade.com/account-typ...ialty.page

This might lead to you converting to an investment club account or one under an LLC if you choose to open one, but most importantly, learning how to invest leads to lifelong benefits through the miracles of compound interest beyond the rate of inflation.

I would suggest the LLC option as you would get a separate tax ID on your annual tax forms.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
(02-04-2020, 01:05 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: Here is the link to setup a TD business account.  The account will grant checks and a debit card, and you can invest in dividend paying stocks, or publicly traded oil trusts, futures, options, or boring but effective index funds!  For now you can choose the sole proprietor account option and poof you're in business.  Most states do not require sole proprietors to register.  You'll use your own social instead of a tax id.  If you're going to spend a few thousand on accounting, finance, business courses, they should pair nicely with your new venture.

https://www.tdameritrade.com/account-typ...ialty.page

This might lead to you converting to an investment club account or one under an LLC if you choose to open one, but most importantly, learning how to invest leads to lifelong benefits through the miracles of compound interest beyond the rate of inflation.

I would suggest the LLC option as you would get a separate tax ID on your annual tax forms.

This isn't a tax forum, so we should avoid giving tax advice. But, that said, I should point out that if you create a business entity in some states (such as California) you will have to pay an annual state tax that could have a minimum regardless of whether you generate income or not. The minimum tax is $800/yr for California, for example. I don't believe this tax is levied on sole proprietorships since they don't operate as an independent legal entity, they are just an extension of you. But it does affect other passthrough entities like LLC's and C-Corps.

I also recommend that anyone who is considering pursuing activities like this just to gain additional tax deductions to seek guidance from a tax professional before doing so. You don't want to get on the bad side of the IRS or your state tax board because you didn't know about something.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • bonbon622, dfrecore, jsd, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 170 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,060 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 585 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 578 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 569 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,018 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 625 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,381 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,096 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Old ACE credits to Credly defscarlett 4 652 07-27-2023, 07:25 PM