Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can courses be re-used in second degree?
Certainly, a bunch of you folks can answer this question.

Let's say I take the Intro to Marketing CLEP as a pre-req for a Bachelor's in Business Admin. Then, after gaining the degree, I want to earn a second Bachelor's in Communication. If Intro to Marketing is a pre-req for the Communication degree, can it be counted as complete for the second degree also? 

And if it's not a pre-req for the Comm degree, could it be counted as an elective if it was on a list of acceptable electives (or even if any electives were allowed--if there is such an situation)?

Please explain how all of this works. There may be other points I don't even know enough to ask about. So share as much as you like. I'm all ears (or eyes, actually).

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
Yes, it counts for the requirement. However, you need 24 new credits at TESU... unless you delay your first graduation and get both simultaneously. There's a big difference between getting one after the other, or getting them simultaneously.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • SCYankee
Yes, credits can be reused. Different schools will have different policies regarding how many new credits you need. For example, at TESU you would need 24 new credits in the area of study to get a second degree
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • SCYankee
Marketing isn't normally a pre-req for Business, it's part of the core at most schools. And it's not a pre-req or any kind of requirement for any Communications degree that I've ever seen.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To be honest a business undergrad (via alternative credit) at this point might be a waste of time.  Get anything (even a liberal arts degree) and go into Masters in a business related discipline that fits your budget within 2 years. Maybe try building a company or service based business out of your home while you get your Big 3 degree and learn financial accounting on the side via some self independent learning courses from BYU, or edx, etc. Also, a second bachelors is not going to improve your profile. You need to be moving up, not down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stoic's post:
  • SCYankee
@ Ideas - How is it different to get two degrees at the same time or one after the other? What do I need to consider?

@ dfrecore The class doesn't matter. I just picked one for an example. The communication degrees that I've been seeing are focused on business communication mostly; so it's related.

@ Stoic Thanks. I already own a business though : ) The degree is just per personal growth and to set an example for my kiddos.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
(06-27-2019, 07:14 AM)SCYankee Wrote: @ Ideas - How is it different to get two degrees at the same time or one after the other? What do I need to consider?

@ dfrecore The class doesn't matter. I just picked one for an example. The communication degrees that I've been seeing are focused on business communication mostly; so it's related.

@ Stoic Thanks. I already own a business though : ) The degree is just per personal growth and to set an example for my kiddos.
In that case I would go with a local continuation education program from a local university since it's for personal growth and to set an example for my kids. Plus you'll get alumni benefits and connections. For example,  Northwestern continuing education, University of Miami continuing education, University of Virginia continuing education,  CUNY continuing  education,  Fordham University continuing education, Boston University continuing education, etc. They all got bachelors available for adults and the bachelors itself will be meaningful. It's just another perspective to think about.
At TESU if you are earning two degrees at the same time you need to have 24 credits that are different between the two degrees and no more than 6 credits in the AOS can overlap.

If you are earning one degree and then come back for the other you have to earn 24 new credits in the AOS after the conferral of the first degree.

Most of the time when you earn a second degree from any school you can "resuse" some credits but your major usually has to be new courses that wasn't previously been used for a prior degree.

Also just keep in mind once you earn one degree you aren't eligible for financial aid to earn the second.
@Stoic - The best local university around here is UNC Charlotte. Not much else on my radar. But how does a "continuation program" differ from anything we're discussing here? Still online? 

----

@ natshar - 

"At TESU if you are earning two degrees at the same time you need to have 24 credits that are different between the two degrees and no more than 6 credits in the AOS can overlap."

This means I have to take 24 extra credits to gain the second degree at the same time. (Correct?) But what is AOS? Certainly that can't mean the first 60 credits, since they are mostly gen-ed.

"If you are earning one degree and then come back for the other you have to earn 24 new credits in the AOS after the conferral of the first degree."

So the difference here is that, in this case, I still have to earn 24 new credits for the second degree, but they have to be in the "AOS" specifically. (Correct?)

And we're just using TESU as an example. I may or may not go through them, but I assume other school have similar policies.

------

Thanks all. 
Working towards:
(06-27-2019, 08:54 AM)SCYankee Wrote: @Stoic - The best local university around here is UNC Charlotte. Not much else on my radar. But how does a "continuation program" differ from anything we're discussing here? Still online? 

----

@ natshar - 

"At TESU if you are earning two degrees at the same time you need to have 24 credits that are different between the two degrees and no more than 6 credits in the AOS can overlap."

This means I have to take 24 extra credits to gain the second degree at the same time. (Correct?) But what is AOS? Certainly that can't mean the first 60 credits, since they are mostly gen-ed.

"If you are earning one degree and then come back for the other you have to earn 24 new credits in the AOS after the conferral of the first degree."

So the difference here is that, in this case, I still have to earn 24 new credits for the second degree, but they have to be in the "AOS" specifically. (Correct?)

And we're just using TESU as an example. I may or may not go through them, but I assume other school have similar policies.

------

Thanks all.
Yeah. I'm at enrolled at TESU. If I wanted to earn two degrees at once they told me (now keep in mind, TESU advising has been known to be wrong) if I earned two degrees at once I only needed 24 different credits applied to the second degree didn't say where. But coming back it has to be in the AOS. Probably because once you get one Bachelor's you get a waiver for gen eds and free electives. Still one would need a minimum of 144 credits for two Bachelor's at TESU. Every school is different though. 

But let's say you get a Marketing degree at TESU and in your AOS you use courses like public relations and marketing communications and more; say your whole marketing AOS was communications related. Then you transfer to another school and try to earn a second Bachelors in communications. It would be doubtful they would let you use all your coursework from one major to fulfill another. But you'd have to check with the school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,535 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,556 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden