Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can get an Assoc if already have a BA
Hi everyone. This board is great- I discovered it when I was looking at WGU for an MBA. My plans have changed a bit tho I will eventually still do the MBA. 
But I wanted to maybe get a couple of associates degrees and then a BSBA from TESU. I'm not sure if that is possible, tho. Most of the verbage on the associates degree pages make it seem like a build to the bachelors which these wouldn't be. I was wanting to get an associates in criminal justice and then another in CS/IT. And then a bsba. I really enjoy both Study.com as well as straighterline for learning and have completed 2 classes on each.  I have a BA in Sociology from NYU ('98). Will TESU let me do this? 
Thanks for any help. 
Kate
Yes, you can do this. And to make it as inexpensive as possible, you'd want to apply for a BSBA, and add those AA's to your account, and get them all at the same time (so 1 graduation fee, and 1 residency waiver fee.

Since you already have a BA, all of your GE's and free electives will be waived, so you just need 60cr for the business degree: the 36cr of core, 18cr of AOS including 12cr of UL, and College Algebra/Quant Lit and Stats. If you already have any of these courses, then you don't have to retake them. You'll need the 21cr required in CJ. And you'll need 16cr in CompSci. I think there can be some overlap between them, so if you took Management Info Systems for your BSBA AOS, that would also count in the AA in CS. Etc. Don't take the AS in IT, as it will require a capstone, so you'd have to do 2 of those (the other for the BSBA). The AA in CJ and AA in CS don't require one.

Now, all of that being said, I can't imagine doing all of that work and paying all of that money for 2 AA's and a BA, when you already have one. I would just go get the MA degree, or a more useful IT/CS degree somewhere. It would be the same cost, or less if you went to WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much. Cost is not an issue. I just enjoy learning and wanted a little more structure to my course taking. I do want to get the wgu mba and actually started the straighterline micro econ course to just prep for that. But I found that I really liked this method of learning so I thought I would expand my degree path a bit. And as someone mentioned in here, taking classes is a much more fulfilling way to spend my evenings than watching tv, etc.
But again, thanks for the info.
The only thing is I'm not sure or how the Associates can with alternative credits.
Just thought of something else- I know there is the 90 cr limit from one provider. Do these limits apply if you already have a BA?
LOL, do you have tuition assistance? You go Kate! Yes, the 90 credits from one provider is a limit, regardless if you have a BA/BS already. You don't have to worry as that's for one ACE/NCCRS provider into one degree.

Yes, go get the two Associates if you want (or if you prefer, the certificates in CJ/CIS). For the BSBA, are you inclined to do an area of concentration or are you going for the General Management option? If you're going for the BSBA CIS, your CIS credits will already go towards the ASNSM Comp Sci. Nothing more is needed as the AOS is 18 credits and the AS CS is only 16.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The Associate degree becomes redundant once you have a Bachelor's degree. Be better just to get the additional Bachelors considering they are in two separate fields.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Yeah, I own my own publishing company so that's able to pay for everything pretty well. I've always been a lifelong learner but being able to add a degree to the learning is more appealing to me these days. Like, if I want to take classes in these subjects anyway, I might as well get some more letters behind my name.
Probably not gm, I am thinking finance.