Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can graduate credits be used for undergraduate degrees?
Coursera has begun to offer graduate certificates in Electrical Engineering topics that don't seem to require a Bachelor's degree to be awarded, just completion with a 3.0 GPA equivalent.

Assuming that they are in fact issuing these graduate certificates without having an undergraduate degree, could this credit be used towards the Bachelor's degree level requirements? The end goal would be to use this for Purdue University's global Bachelors of Professional Studies. I've got associate's credit requirements minus generals already and would really love if I could use what I'm actually going to learn for a B.S.

This could always speed up getting a Master's degree from the Coursera University of Colorado program, with it being used for both.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
We can probably scratch this question. Apparently, you can get the Master's degree without even having a Bachelor's. You'll just need some heavy math courses and pass 7 Coursera specialization.

This intrigues me. I hate learning useless stuff, and this means learning 2-3 years worth of useful stuff will equate to a Master's in Engineering, Bachelor's be damned.

I would be careful. In the US, it's extremely uncommon to get a Master's without a Bachelor's. Some people might look upon your Master's as you having cheated or as it being fake.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts

(09-01-2021, 06:39 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I’ve posted about this before. I’d say you really have to know your stuff to get into and thru it. It’s not going to be a cake walk. I’m not sure that this would qualify you to be
Able to eventually sit for the PE , is it ABET ? I don’t think so. With that said a person with a masters degree from an American regionally accredited university in electrical engineering shouldn’t have any issue finding a job. 
They also offer one in data science 

https://www.colorado.edu/program/data-sc...a-overview
(09-01-2021, 06:39 AM)Pats20 Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:39 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I’ve posted about this before. I’d say you really have to know your stuff to get into and thru it. It’s not going to be a cake walk. I’m not sure that this would qualify you to be
Able to eventually sit for the PE , is it ABET ? I don’t think so. With that said a person with a masters degree from an American regionally accredited university in electrical engineering shouldn’t have any issue finding a job. 

I don't need to be a PE or ABET. I work for a company that designs the Bugotti veyron of servers.

The embedded/computer hardware parts under the Industrial IoT MasterTrack is definitely doable without heavy calculus. The rest of it, not so much.

It depends on the school - You can use graduate credit for undergraduate degrees, some institutions only allow you to use it for "one" credential and not "overlap" it with another. I'm not sure if you're fully sold on the PUG BS Pro Studies degree, but that sounds like a good deal to help you ladder into a Masters. I would get that degree under your belt and work on the Masters shortly after...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-01-2021, 12:31 PM)xicovu Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 06:39 AM)Pats20 Wrote:

I don't need to be a PE or ABET. I work for a company that designs the Bugotti veyron of servers.

The embedded/computer hardware parts under the Industrial IoT MasterTrack is definitely doable without heavy calculus. The rest of it, not so much.

If that’s not a concern of yours then go for it. 30 credits and $20 grand and you could be an EE.
My career is stable enough without a degree that I can spend time getting what I need. I don't mind this taking 3 or 5 or 6 years, I am just so very averse to doing course work I don't need.

Heavy math for a year or two and 2 or 3 years of EE coursework seems like one hell of a deal. Maybe I would backfill it into the BS at Purdue along the way.

It seems like one hell of an accomplishment to go straight for and get an engineering masters. I am sooooo down to give it a shot.

Keep us up to date. I’m excited for you. When I first learned of this program I thought that it could be a awesome opportunity for somebody on this forum.
(09-01-2021, 06:34 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Keep us up to date. I’m excited for you. When I first learned of this program I thought that it could be a awesome opportunity for somebody on this forum.

I'll let the forum know how these things work out, whether it is Purdue AS/BS or the Coursera masters. I'm on again, of again with coming here so you'll likely hear from me in the future.

One thing I can say I've learned is Penn Foster and Ashworth are pretty crappy. Wouldn't recommend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 238 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,784 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,565 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  xamk Free Bachelors Degrees gams007 19 4,166 11-29-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,918 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 947 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Limit On Degrees somechick 5 729 09-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,074 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 706 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,443 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle