Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can somebody remind me how much credit TESC awards for FEMA for a TWO year degree?
creationstory Wrote:u can't apply 29 Fema credits to an AS degree at Thomas Edison. The max is 12.

if you're talking about excelsior that may be the case. Rickyjo though is looking for the cheapest route to attaining credits, he is not going to pay for 45 or 60 bucks per credit for a fema when he could pay for a clep.

sorry for the confusion... I was speaking in reference to getting the degree at Excelsior.
I've always been very interested in cheap, that's for certain; however, I fear the CLEP due to my inability to memorize factoids and previous experience with IT certification exams that took entirely too long for the payoff. It's just not my strong point. Also, after examining the options available at my community college, $45-60/credit seems downright reasonable...

Also, the time/money ratio is tipping. I want this taken care of, my business is not doing super well and I blame that largely on the time I'm spending on ALEKS and SL. Additionally, instead of spending time with my wife I'm staring at my computer, and I'm just so tired of it. I've already got the FEMA stuff done, and if I can focus on my business and have this degree maybe I can recoup some cost. Also there may be some unexpected assistance from my grandfather! This, of course, is extremely good news.

So although it was unlikely I would do something like this before, I think I may have to at this point if I'm serious about completing this soon given my current circumstance.

So although I'm undecided if I'm willing to pay that much, please do not hesitate to give me data. This approach is tickling my fancy at the moment.

I'm off to look at the degree plan on EC's site right now. Will post with thoughts when I'm done.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
I think I would have a better stab at an AS than an AA given all the math credit from ALEKS, IT certs, etc, and my lack of anything like philosophy, music, etc.

I'm having difficulty located the degree plans...does anybody have a link to the AS and AA? I have a copy of something they sent to my wife but it's information is tailored to her, I need the full generic copy. I did notice they have something called "humanities core" and I would not have anything they want for that category.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
Here are the basic requirements for an Associate Degree in Liberal Arts:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post68901

Check to see if you could use your computer credits toward an Area of Focus in Computer Info Science. (Using these may also save some money in transferring FEMA, which are about $70?/credit.)

I agree with you; I think you are close to an AS already.

Wouldn't AP Lit count towards Humanities?
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thank you, thank you!

EC's "Humanities core" is different from "humanities" (it requires both). The only obvious difference is that English based humanities are not allowed. This is of course if I'm understanding the document correctly.

Aditional info: I should be done with pre-calc in a week or two (probably two), I'll be done with Accounting II in < 2 weeks, and I'll do the computer CLEP if I must. I'm hoping to have ALEKS stats done in < 2 months. For all items "in the works" just consider them done for the sake of discussion.

EDIT: NAP, could you please view the thread you directed me to, I asked you some specific questions if you have the time!
I am so encouraged!

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:Thank you, thank you!

EC's "Humanities core" is different from "humanities" (it requires both). The only obvious difference is that English based humanities are not allowed. This is of course if I'm understanding the document correctly.

Aditional info: I should be done with pre-calc in a week or two (probably two), I'll be done with Accounting II in < 2 weeks, and I'll do the computer CLEP if I must. I'm hoping to have ALEKS stats done in < 2 months. For all items "in the works" just consider them done for the sake of discussion.

I don't know how it compares to AP Lit, but I do know that the A&I Lit CLEP counts towards the Humanities Core Req and Humanities Gen Ed at the same time.

At EC, you can have 9 credits of math below calculus plus Stats.

They also allow credit for both the computing CLEP and DANTES as Applied Professional (and toward a Computer Info Science focus).

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Hmmm. That tosses out a good chunk of ALEKS work, which is OK if some other unknowns pan out.

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
Rickyjo,

your FEMA'S, NFA, Computer and Accounting credits will all be classified as applied professional credits at Excelsior. So you will only be able to apply 29 credits from these sources to an associates at Excelsior.

the cost to transcribe fema at FCC is $76/ semester hour credit http://www.emergencymanagementstudy.com/...%20app.pdf

~Peace123
Augh, that's expensive. I wonder what Clackmass' rate is these days? $76 is entirely too much! $40 or $50 I can handle. I have not reviewed how the FEMA stuff works for a long time now.

I think I have nearly all the gen ed I need. It appears that I just need an English composition class, and one social studies or humanities class. English is easy, there's SL, but another social studies or humanities will likely require a class or a CLEP.

As always Peace your input is extremely valuable. Sorry for the sudden switching in priorities, I think the help from my grandfather will cover most if not all of the added expense of implementing FEMA credit through EC.

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
Just a quick look:

Associate in Science at Excelsior College – 60 credits

General Education for AS – 9 credits in two areas and 6 credits in one area

Humanities – have 3 credits, need 6 or 3 more

AP English Lit - 6 credits (see WER)
Music Appreciation class – 3 planned
[A&I Lit CLEP - 6 credits minus 3 credits which duplicate AP Lit exam - possibility]

Social Sciences/History – have 6, need 0 or 3 more

Straighterline Macro Econ - 3
Straighterline Micro Econ – 3

Math/Natural Science
- have 9

ALEKS Math – 9
ALEKS Stats – 3 planned

Written English Requirement – 3 credits – passed AP English Lit for 6 credits

Information Literacy – 1 credit – have through Penn Foster

Arts and Sciences – need 3 credits (see ALEKS Stats)

Arts and Sciences/Applied Professional – 29 credits

Decide on best combination of Computing, Accounting, NFA, and FEMA.
(For instance, NFA will transfer for free on ACE transcript with ALEKS credits.)

An optional Area of Focus is awarded with 15 credits in a single discipline.

Computer Info Science Focus??

Also note that some policies are changing July 1st. We do not know what all of the new policies are yet.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,196 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,452 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,339 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,671 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,860 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,774 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,067 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,997 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,959 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM