Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone help me make sense of my Charter Oak Advising Worksheet
Hi guys and gals, I am trouble making sense of my COSC advising worksheet, to be a bit more specific, I not sure what classes I need to be taking in order to graduate.

My current understanding:
  • I need 30 upper level credits total to graduate: 15 have to be in Business and 15 can be in Liberal Arts
  • I need the following GEN ED classes: Oral Communication - English Comp - Math - Natural Science
  • I need the following business classes: Managerial Accounting - Managerial or Corporate Finance - Management Info Systems - Organizational Behavior - Principles of Management - Principles of Marketing
  • In addition to the business classes above, I need 12 upper level electives, and the cornerstone to take care of the 15 UL credits
  • I need 27 more Liberal Arts Credits, 15 of which need to be UL

If I am reading correctly, once I complete the above list I will have satisfied the requirements for a BS degree, is this correct?

Here is where I get a bit confused, if I factor in 30 upper level electives, the courses I still need which are listed above, and the 68 credits I already have, I count over 140 credits total. Why would I have so many extra credits and is there a degree program where they can be better applied.

I'm also curious about my "free electives" section, it would help me greatly if someone could expand on that for me, by my watch it looks like they aren't really being used anywhere. I would figure that Business Law I & II should easily be applied to the degree program. Also, why does Bio 109 not work as a science, or CIS 125 as Management Info Systems?

I hope this all made sense, and I look forward to any help I may get

Thanks

.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">unoficial advising worksheet.pdf (Size: 96.38 KB / Downloads: 0)
Mindcrime30 Wrote:Here is where I get a bit confused, if I factor in 30 upper level electives, the courses I still need which are listed above, and the 68 credits I already have, I count over 140 credits total. Why would I have so many extra credits and is there a degree program where they can be better applied.

I'm also curious about my "free electives" section, it would help me greatly if someone could expand on that for me, by my watch it looks like they aren't really being used anywhere. I would figure that Business Law I & II should easily be applied to the degree program. Also, why does Bio 109 not work as a science, or CIS 125 as Management Info Systems?

I think you can get this done with 60 more credits.

As for your specific questions: Business Law I & II don't work under the Business Concentration because the Business Electives must be at the upper level, and yours were taken at a community college. For a science, they are really looking for something like Biology, Astronomy, Earth Science, etc. and not something like Medical Terminology. For MIS, they are specifically looking for Information Systems.

Here are the courses, I think you need:

Cornerstone @ COSC

General Ed:
Public Speaking DSST or Straighterline Introduction to Communication
DSST Technical Writing is the easiest way to fulfill Composition 2
College Algebra ALEKS
Any science CLEP or DSST

Business:
Managerial Accounting: Uexcel, TECEP, or Penn Foster
Finance DSST
MGT Information Systems: MIS DSST or Information Systems CLEP
Organizational Behavior: Uexcel counts as upper level
Management CLEP
Marketing CLEP
Capstone
12 Upper Level Business Elective Credits

12 additional Upper Level Credits - Liberal Arts

I think the above equals to 60 total additional credits. It gives the 27 additional Liberal Arts credits that you need and the 30 upper level that you need.

Here is the master exam list in case you don't have it: http://www.charteroak.edu/Current/Academ...r-list.pdf

Feel free to ask for clarification if something doesn't make sense.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I think the *below* equals to 60 total additional credits. It gives the 27 additional Liberal Arts credits that you need and the 30 upper level that you need.

Cornerstone @ COSC | 3 cr

General Ed:
Public Speaking DSST or Straighterline Introduction to Communication | 3 CR
DSST Technical Writing is the easiest way to fulfill Composition 2 | 3 CR
College Algebra ALEKS | 3 CR
Any science CLEP or DSST | 3 CR

Business:
Managerial Accounting: Uexcel, TECEP, or Penn Foster Finance DSST | 3 CR
MGT Information Systems: MIS DSST or Information Systems CLEP | 3 CR
Organizational Behavior: Uexcel counts as upper level | 3 CR
Management CLEP | 3 CR
Marketing CLEP | 3 CR
Capstone | 3 CR
12 Upper Level Business Electives | 12 CR

12 additional Upper Level Courses - Liberal Arts | 12 CR
========================================================
I count 57 credits, which would be great. But how would my 27 Liberal Arts credits be satisfied by only 12 credits of UL courses?
Mindcrime30 Wrote:Managerial Accounting: Uexcel, TECEP, or Penn Foster Finance DSST | 3 CR

I count 57 credits, which would be great. But how would my 27 Liberal Arts credits be satisfied by only 12 credits of UL courses?

You have combined Managerial Accounting and Finance here. These are two separate courses. It should read:

Managerial Accounting: Uexcel, TECEP, or Penn Foster - 3 credits
Finance DSST - 3 credits

If you make this correction, you should get 60 total credits.

These courses are all considered liberal arts:
Public Speaking DSST or Straighterline Introduction to Communication | 3 CR
DSST Technical Writing is the easiest way to fulfill Composition 2 | 3 CR
College Algebra ALEKS | 3 CR
Any science CLEP or DSST | 3 CR
Organizational Behavior: Uexcel counts as upper level | 3 CR
12 additional Upper Level Credits - Liberal Arts | 12 CR

This makes 27 liberal arts credits.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now.

Final question, where would you recommend getting the 12 UL biz credits from? I see 5 UL tests available under the Business section on the master list, but it seems the ethics ones count as liberal arts instead.
Mindcrime30 Wrote:Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now.

Final question, where would you recommend getting the 12 UL biz credits from? I see 5 UL tests available under the Business section on the master list, but it seems the ethics ones count as liberal arts instead.

If you took an UL Ethics test and the Business Law II DSST, these may replace the LL credits that you have listed for these courses, so be careful with that. You have enough free electives to replace the LL Business Law II, but if you took the Ethics, you would need an additional liberal arts course (which could be LL).

The tests don't count as either Upper Level Business or Liberal Arts. They can satisfy both requirements, but you will still have to have 30 total UL and 60 total LA.

There are many UL Business tests available on the master list. These are under Business, but also under Economics, Finance, Management, and Marketing.

There are also some Penn Foster courses that qualify as upper level business electives. Before taking these, I strongly suggest that you check that these are currently approved by ACE and check with the Registrar that you will get upper level business credit for these.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,692 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,096 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,748 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,485 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Thumbs Up Charter Oak apply for free through 01/05/18 allvia 4 2,665 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,652 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Charter Oak - Paralegal Studies BSBRose21 0 1,029 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  Has Charter Oak ever upgraded a community college credit frank.f.franky 1 1,066 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: GoldieLux
  help with my Charter Oak evaluation mdel210201 17 4,074 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  Charter Oak credit banking vs Excelsior credit banking mdel210201 10 3,319 03-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Last Post: decimon