Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone help me with a second bachelor's explanation
So I have pretty much reached the end of my degree with Excelsior's Bachelors of Science in National Security thanks to Sophia and Coopersmith. With my previous Associates, military training, and prior ACE credits starting this journey I only needed around 30 credits to meet the requirements. I was able to complete these while working full-time from home and in between three 8-week courses with the college itself and started in June. I will be taking my capstone during the Fall II semester and apply for graduation in December. I was approved for an MPA program with Excelsior through the Veterans Administrations Chapter 31 Voc Rehab and but will be applying to take it with Norwich University's online program instead. It's pretty difficult to get the VA to approve the masters, I was definitely excited about it but now I just want to change the school which I assume will be its own headache.

I was thinking, I've been approved for the MPA and wont have to pay for it since it will be funded by the VA. Since I only needed to use 30 credits from Sophia and Coopersmith for my BNS I still have a lot more credit that I am potentially leaving on the table. At this point I would have to pay for the subscription services but would it make sense for me comparatively to go back and try for say a BSBA? If so, I'm assuming I would have to start from scratch right? I dont believe I could dually apply credit from one degree to another. 

Any pointers, advise, or assistance here would be great thanks.

I don't know how Excelsior works, precisely, but you should be good with at least the gen eds. In theory, you only need to do the AOS classes. Not sure how much overlap, if any, there would be between the degree you have and the 2nd degree you're thinking about.
(09-16-2020, 05:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't know how Excelsior works, precisely, but you should be good with at least the gen eds. In theory, you only need to do the AOS classes. Not sure how much overlap, if any, there would be between the degree you have and the 2nd degree you're thinking about.

Hi Rachel, thanks. I believe I would be looking to go from Excelsior to TESU and would likely consider the BSBA program for two main reasons but also for a separate degree from a separate institution. 1. The BNS degree from Excelsior gives me a specialization combined with 10 years experience in the field but doesn't quite say much for business management, marketing, or operations. I desire to eventually move out of my specialized position as a contractor and hopefully into the corporate structure of my current company. 2. The MPA position is primarily focused in government administration and has a concentration in contract management but im assuming has a largely government sided lens, my thoughts are that a BSBA program would supplement the private entity/corporate lens as far as capital growth and business development etc is concerned. 

I imagine there will be little to no overlap, my AAS is in Intelligence Operations and my BNS is National Security, I have some ACE credits from DAU and TEEX in business management however everything else is primarily gen ed or specialized in scope. 

I know ultimately it's going to be what works best in my opinion but what are your thoughts on my train of thought? Do you think it makes sense to try and make up 30-40 credits for cheap/free from Sophia, DAU, TEEX, etc and submit for cornerstone/capstone?

(09-16-2020, 06:03 PM)BBryant165 Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 05:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't know how Excelsior works, precisely, but you should be good with at least the gen eds. In theory, you only need to do the AOS classes. Not sure how much overlap, if any, there would be between the degree you have and the 2nd degree you're thinking about.

Hi Rachel, thanks. I believe I would be looking to go from Excelsior to TESU....

Direct from TESU - https://blog.tesu.edu/the-secret-to-earn...ond-degree
The most key thing is "you must complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core beyond the date your most recent undergraduate degree was completed". So in short, most of your business courses for the BSBA would need to be completed after  your Excelsior degree is conferred (graduate in Dec, don't complete the needed new 24 credits until Jan) - that is 8 courses, the Capstone would count as one - leaving you needing 7 new courses in the AOS/Core.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • BBryant165
If you have already earned a bachelor's degree, EC will require and ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits. Some of the ULs may count towards the degree requirements. I just went through this with them and decided 30 UL credits isn't worth a second bachelor's degree. I could spend that money and time on a master's degree instead.
I would just go get an MBA somewhere instead. Probably WGU. Why do a BSBA for thousands when you can spend the same amount and get an MBA.

If you want to do some inexpensive courses to prepare you for the MBA, that's smart though: Financial & Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Prin of Finance, Prin of Management, Prin of Marketing, Macro & Microecon, Int'l Business, Business Comm - all easy to find for cheap or even free. I'd take them all and then you're ready for the MBA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 389 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 374 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 357 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 909 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,426 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 635 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 439 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me?? jrose963 15 1,586 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jrose963
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree? adaggiote 2 457 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
  Need a Bachelor's degree for promotion. cj91 23 1,365 08-11-2023, 11:00 PM