Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts/Guidance sought....
So, my son and I have been working on his degree this week.  We submitted an application to COSC.  Sent transcript from Credley.  Sent transcript from SL.  Sent transcript from Sophia.  As I have mentioned before, the admissions people are saying they do not take Credley.  They also are stating they do not take ALEKS.  I reached out to ALEKS and asked if they could work an agreement to accept (form they fill out, etc...on their site) the courses from ALEKS.  I am getting frustrated.  

Is there a path that may be a tad 'already in place.'  Like staff knows who/what is accepted???   Thanks for all words of wisdom.
sorry it's been frustrating. hope some of this encourages.

The registrars office people are the ones who will know what to do with the ACE transcript that is issued from credly. Not the admissions people.

Admissions person most likely thought Credly was a "course provider" and since it is not on the list, oh well. But they don't know what it is. It is the way that courses in ACE are on transcript and sent to universities.

COSC decided not to accept Aleks any longer. They don't take it anymore. They used to. They don't now. Each college/university can decide which ACE credit sources to accept. Not all colleges take all CLEP exams either. Not to discourage you, but I don't think COSC will change their mind about that. Stuff changes. and that's one that changed.

have you seen this part of the wiki https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Have you seen the clep heavy approach for COSC over at Dual Credit at Home? Give over your email to them, and you can login for a college roadmap to COSC video course. watch the video series. look at the bonus extras with degree plans specifically for COSC https://dualcreditathome.com/college-degree-roadmap/ those degree plans are in mind for teens who are homeschooling and going to do a lot of CLEP and other credit by exams, and not as dependent on SL, sophia, etc. Once you see them, however, and see how COSC counts your courses, you'll probably fill stuff in quicker and any sophia, SL, CSM kind of stuff will be subbed out in those plans.

hopefully others with planning experience can help more.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

If you're set on COSC, the easiest math that they'll accept is probably Sophia's Algebra. Unfortunately, they don't seem inclined to work out agreements with many ACE providers.

Also, does your son have at least 24 credits from an RA source? That requirement was added right around the same time as they dropped ALEKS.

Depending on what degree your son wants, Excelsior or waiting for TESU or UMPI may be better options.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-02-2021, 02:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're set on COSC, the easiest math that they'll accept is probably Sophia's Algebra. Unfortunately, they don't seem inclined to work out agreements with many ACE providers.

Also, does your son have at least 24 credits from an RA source? That requirement was added right around the same time as they dropped ALEKS.

Depending on what degree your son wants, Excelsior or waiting for TESU or UMPI may be better options.

I agree.  You may be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole here.  COSC has tightened up on what they'll accept these days, so it may not be a good fit for your son.  There's nothing wrong with that, as there are other options.

I strongly urge you to look at EC instead.  They seem to have dropped the $1095 enrollment fee, and so their pricing will be very similar to COSC's - yes a bit higher, but for someone who may not have 24cr of RA to bring in (and will have to take it for $1200 at ONU or $1600 at TEL), that just about offsets the difference in price.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
ugh. I was reading on another thread, that others had to use Parchment to send their Sophia stuff to COSC. (and have each provider sent their own transcript) and that yep, it's the registrar's office who is saying to do that. ugh.
anyway, pretty much means what I said about admissions not relevant to the case of COSC. still might be true that admissions doesn't always know what is accepted, but they seem to have the info right on this.

hope you get it sorted out or go with Exclesior to get a plan there as others have suggested. but make sure you read their fees and ask about this . Student Service Annual Fee (SSAF) $495 x number of years of enrollment after the first year. Students who do not complete 12 Excelsior course credits per year will be charged the prevailing SSAF for this option.
yes, it's not the same number as the $1095 enrollment. but make sure to ask how to not deal with it at all. I'm sure others have those hints and tips. I don't.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(10-03-2021, 10:32 AM)P226mem Wrote: ugh.  I was reading on another thread, that others had to use Parchment to send their Sophia stuff to COSC. (and have each provider sent their own transcript)  and that yep, it's the registrar's office who is saying to do that.  ugh.  
anyway, pretty much means what I said about admissions not relevant to the case of COSC. still might be true that admissions doesn't always know what is accepted, but they seem to have the info right on this.

hope you get it sorted out or go with Exclesior to get a plan there as others have suggested.   but make sure you read their fees and ask about this . Student Service Annual Fee (SSAF) $495 x number of years of enrollment after the first year. Students who do not complete 12 Excelsior course credits per year will be charged the prevailing SSAF for this option.
yes, it's not the same number as the $1095 enrollment.  but make sure to ask how to not deal with it at all.  I'm sure others have those hints and tips. I don't.

For both COSC and EC, where you have to pay to be enrolled (COSC is every term, EC is annually), I don't suggest you enroll until you are VERY close to finishing.  No need to pay to be enrolled somewhere you're not planning on taking courses except the required 2/3.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 297 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thoughts on path to BA for drug/alcohol counselors studyingfortests 10 369 03-30-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 303 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 484 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 278 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,217 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Lightbulb UMPI BABA M&L Guidance CCCollege 10 872 10-07-2023, 04:36 PM
  Daughter needs guidance Bachelors GameSlinger 23 1,339 09-14-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Thoughts on Walden University Early Childhood Studies BS Seeker203 3 607 06-22-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Thoughts for a new high school graduate? savvyg 18 1,432 05-30-2023, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout