Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the deal with NAU?
(10-31-2021, 07:39 AM)freeloader Wrote: I think this is a good idea. 

Personally, I think this makes a great deal more sense than doing the BLS. FWIW, you can do a BA in accounting AND a BA in Business Admin. I just completed the requirements for that double major. I did my BABA concentration in management and leadership. I transferred in all of my Gen eds (I have a prior BA so they were waived) and half of my accounting classes, but not much else. I ended up doing 66 credits at UMPI. 

If I were you, OP, I would start with the BA in accounting. If I wanted something else for my resume and/or wanted more grades credit, I would consider the BABA in marketing or the MIS minor. A lot of finance programs seem to want people with some programming/technical/mathematical background. UMPI isn’t the best for that right now, but MIS is at least pointing in that direction.  

The other thing to consider and something that I fear bj overlooked: you said you were receiving financial aid. Financial aid typically covers only the first bachelor’s degree, as I understand it. If you do the BLS, my understanding is that you likely would when be paying for you BA or BABA out of pocket. Much better to do the BA and BABA at the same time and max out your aid!

Yes, I think I will go for the BA in Accounting, I will assess the situation and act accordingly during my studies.

Could you tell us about your experience with doing 60+ credits at UMPI? How many credits did you do each session? I plan on doing at least four courses every eight weeks. Is this too much for someone who has no other obligations/commitments?

Also, I'm a prospective international student from Europe and unfortunately I don't qualify for financial aid, I wouldn't even if I was a traditional student on campus, so it's out of pocket!
If you have no other obligations, four courses every eight weeks seems pretty low! Depending on the classes, it seems like most students on this forum do an average of 6-8 courses every eight weeks. The only reason why several students haven't done (all) 10 courses in a single term is because not all courses are offered every 8 weeks. So it takes at least 4 months to graduate, even if you are able to knock out a course every couple of days.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • atmoex, Pikachu
(10-31-2021, 08:04 AM)atmoex Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 07:39 AM)freeloader Wrote: I think this is a good idea. 

Personally, I think this makes a great deal more sense than doing the BLS. FWIW, you can do a BA in accounting AND a BA in Business Admin. I just completed the requirements for that double major. I did my BABA concentration in management and leadership. I transferred in all of my Gen eds (I have a prior BA so they were waived) and half of my accounting classes, but not much else. I ended up doing 66 credits at UMPI. 

If I were you, OP, I would start with the BA in accounting. If I wanted something else for my resume and/or wanted more grades credit, I would consider the BABA in marketing or the MIS minor. A lot of finance programs seem to want people with some programming/technical/mathematical background. UMPI isn’t the best for that right now, but MIS is at least pointing in that direction.  

The other thing to consider and something that I fear bj overlooked: you said you were receiving financial aid. Financial aid typically covers only the first bachelor’s degree, as I understand it. If you do the BLS, my understanding is that you likely would when be paying for you BA or BABA out of pocket. Much better to do the BA and BABA at the same time and max out your aid!

Yes, I think I will go for the BA in Accounting, I will assess the situation and act accordingly during my studies.

Could you tell us about your experience with doing 60+ credits at UMPI? How many credits did you do each session? I plan on doing at least four courses every eight weeks. Is this too much for someone who has no other obligations/commitments?

Also, I'm a prospective international student from Europe and unfortunately I don't qualify for financial aid, I wouldn't even if I was a traditional student on campus, so it's out of pocket!
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding about your location/aid status. 

I took 5 terms to do the 22 classes/66 credits. If memory serves, I had terms in which I did 7, 5, 5, 3, and 2 classes.  I am married with two young children and I work full time (40+ hours/week). Because of my family, I often have commitments in the evenings and on weekends.  On the flip side, I have been working in accounting/taxation in the US for a few years, so a lot of the material (particularly in accounting courses) was reiterating information to which I had already been exposed/with which I work. 

Since you do not have other major commitments and assuming you take your studies seriously, I would expect you to do 5+ classes each term. Others on the forum have done 10+ classes in a term. That is, I think it’s safe to say, exceptional, but it is certainly possible!  It just comes down to how quickly you can learn the information, how motivated you are, and how quickly you can write papers, create presentations, and do problem sets (for many of the accounting classes).  

You may also get slowed down a little bit because of prerequisites in the accounting courses, depending on what you transfer in. Unfortunately, not every class is offered every term. The biggest log jam is probably that you have take financial, intermediate I, intermediate II, and advanced accounting one before the other (they are all in the financial accounting family). Managerial is also the prerequisite for cost, government/non-profit, tax I, and tax ii.  Interestingly, auditing does not have a prerequisite per the YourPace website, but I would definitely want to have some prior accounting coursework before taking it.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • atmoex, Pikachu
(10-31-2021, 08:42 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you have no other obligations, four courses every eight weeks seems pretty low! Depending on the classes, it seems like most students on this forum do an average of 6-8 courses every eight weeks. The only reason why several students haven't done (all) 10 courses in a single term is because not all courses are offered every 8 weeks. So it takes at least 4 months to graduate, even if you are able to knock out a course every couple of days.

(10-31-2021, 08:51 AM)freeloader Wrote: Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding about your location/aid status. 

I took 5 terms to do the 22 classes/66 credits. If memory serves, I had terms in which I did 7, 5, 5, 3, and 2 classes.  I am married with two young children and I work full time (40+ hours/week). Because of my family, I often have commitments in the evenings and on weekends.  On the flip side, I have been working in accounting/taxation in the US for a few years, so a lot of the material (particularly in accounting courses) was reiterating information to which I had already been exposed/with which I work. 

Since you do not have other major commitments and assuming you take your studies seriously, I would expect you to do 5+ classes each term. Others on the forum have done 10+ classes in a term. That is, I think it’s safe to say, exceptional, but it is certainly possible!  It just comes down to how quickly you can learn the information, how motivated you are, and how quickly you can write papers, create presentations, and do problem sets (for many of the accounting classes).

You may also get slowed down a little bit because of prerequisites in the accounting courses, depending on what you transfer in. Unfortunately, not every class is offered every term. The biggest log jam is probably that you have take financial, intermediate I, intermediate II, and advanced accounting one before the other (they are all in the financial accounting family). Managerial is also the prerequisite for cost, government/non-profit, tax I, and tax ii.  Interestingly, auditing does not have a prerequisite per the YourPace website, but I would definitely want to have some prior accounting coursework before taking it.

Thank you for taking the time to help. This is very impressive and motivating, to be so busy and yet do more than two years of work in five sessions.

Regarding the classes, I will open another topic on the degree planning section (or should I open it on the UMPI one?) to discuss the specifics. However, I still don't think I will take more than 5/session, especially in the beginning. If I see that I'm doing well, I may gradually increase them. English is not my mother tongue and I haven't even lived in an English speaking country, so maybe this will add some difficulty to the writing part that native speakers didn't face. With 60 Sophia and 60-66 UMPI, ideally I would want to be done in eight to ten months from now.
(10-31-2021, 03:45 AM)atmoex Wrote: 1) 60 Sophia, 60 UMPI
2) 90 Sophia, 60 upper level UMPI - double concentration
3) 90 Sophia, 30 UMPI for the BLS, 30 UMPI for the BABA - dual degree or minor(?), not sure I understand how this works

The last two options are difficult to avoid, I can't go wrong with either. I'm thinking though that time I'd spend getting a dual degree for example, would be better spent studying for the GMAT or GRE, which is essentially what will get my application accepted or even get me scholarships. The deadline for round 1 for most of the graduate programs is October 2022. I will need at least 3 months of preperation for the GMAT/GRE. What do guys you think? Perhaps a dual degree will differentiate me from the other applicants, is it really worth the extra time though?

I'd stick with 1 degree from UMPI. You won't be able to complete 60 UL credits easily at UMPI. If you want to get into finance, I would go for the BA in Accounting and forget everything else. Then move onto grad school. You'll save time and money.

(10-31-2021, 07:39 AM)freeloader Wrote: The other thing to consider and something that I fear bj overlooked: you said you were receiving financial aid. Financial aid typically covers only the first bachelor’s degree, as I understand it. If you do the BLS, my understanding is that you likely would when be paying for you BA or BABA out of pocket. Much better to do the BA and BABA at the same time and max out your aid!

I'm doing my second bachelor's degree right now and freeloader is correct. There is no financial aid for second bachelor's degrees. I'm 100% paying out of pocket for each term. I wouldn't pay for the BLS after completing a BA. It adds no value.

(10-31-2021, 10:09 AM)atmoex Wrote: Regarding the classes, I will open another topic on the degree planning section (or should I open it on the UMPI one?) to discuss the specifics. However, I still don't think I will take more than 5/session, especially in the beginning. If I see that I'm doing well, I may gradually increase them. English is not my mother tongue and I haven't even lived in an English speaking country, so maybe this will add some difficulty to the writing part that native speakers didn't face. With 60 Sophia and 60-66 UMPI, ideally I would want to be done in eight to ten months from now.

Don't worry about English being your second language. UMPI has resources for you. They regularly work with international students and non-native English speakers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • atmoex