Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you add a Concentration after you've already graduated?
(09-05-2021, 11:32 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Something to keep in mind with the cert: I've heard from credible sources at TESU that you need at least 50% of the cert to be UL courses; Study.com only has 1 UL CJ course, so you're going to have to find 2 more somewhere (AOJ-381 Victimology and Criminal Behavior & AOJ-310 Criminal Law).  Not sure where you can find UL courses inexpensively, so I think this is going to cost a lot more than it should.

If that's the case, I think you're better off going to UMPI and getting the CJ degree there.  It will be faster and cheaper than the Cert at TESU.

I did take a look at Study.com and it looks like just about everything matches up one for one. The required courses are
AOJ-102 Intro to Criminal Justice -- matches study.com CJ 101: Intro to Criminal Justice
AOJ-280 Forensic Science -- matches study.com CJ 106: Forensic Science
SOC-291 Criminology -- matches study.com CJ 104: Introduction to Criminology
AOJ-381 Victimology and Criminal Behavior -- matches study.com CJ 381: Victimology
AOJ-310 Criminal Law -- matches study.com CJ 107: Criminal Law (but LL instead of UL)
They list three electives of which one must be taken
AJO-303 White Collar Crime -- matches study.com CJ 301: White Collar Crime
AOJ-363 American Juvenile Justice System -- matches study.com CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System
AOJ-484 Public Policy, Crime and Criminal Justice -- matches study.com CJ 103: Public Policy & Criminal Justice

So this leads to a few questions
1. Will TESU accept CJ 107: Criminal Law as meeting their AOJ-310 Criminal Law requirement?
2. If so, would I still need to take an additional UL to make up for Criminal Law being LL?
3. Do I need to take two extra courses so half are UL?
4. If so, could I add UL elective courses that weren't mentioned? (e.g. study.com CJ 306 Research Methods in Criminal Justice.)

To be honest the only thing that really worries me is that they won't accept the LL Criminal Justice course as meeting their UL Criminal Law requirement. That could be a deal breaker.

If they do accept it, but require half of the credits to be UL then that wouldn't be a big deal. It looks like I can do everything at study.com, and I should be able to complete it all it two months. The cost is $200 a month plus $70 per course beyond two courses a month, so if I have to take an extra course or two that would still be a total cost of $610/$680 ($200 x 2 + $70 x 3 or 4) plus the $1250 residency waiver from TESU.

BTW, I noticed that study.com has an Advanced Criminal Law course, but it hasn't been ACE or NCCRS approved yet. Hopefully that happens soon and makes all the above questions moot.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
(09-07-2021, 11:19 PM)Daithi Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 11:32 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Something to keep in mind with the cert: I've heard from credible sources at TESU that you need at least 50% of the cert to be UL courses; Study.com only has 1 UL CJ course, so you're going to have to find 2 more somewhere (AOJ-381 Victimology and Criminal Behavior & AOJ-310 Criminal Law).  Not sure where you can find UL courses inexpensively, so I think this is going to cost a lot more than it should.

If that's the case, I think you're better off going to UMPI and getting the CJ degree there.  It will be faster and cheaper than the Cert at TESU.

I did take a look at Study.com and it looks like just about everything matches up one for one. The required courses are
 AOJ-102 Intro to Criminal Justice -- matches study.com CJ 101: Intro to Criminal Justice
 AOJ-280 Forensic Science -- matches study.com CJ 106: Forensic Science
 SOC-291 Criminology -- matches study.com CJ 104: Introduction to Criminology
 AOJ-381 Victimology and Criminal Behavior -- matches study.com CJ 381: Victimology
 AOJ-310 Criminal Law -- matches study.com CJ 107: Criminal Law (but LL instead of UL)
They list three electives of which one must be taken
 AJO-303 White Collar Crime -- matches study.com CJ 301: White Collar Crime
 AOJ-363 American Juvenile Justice System -- matches study.com CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System
 AOJ-484 Public Policy, Crime and Criminal Justice -- matches study.com CJ 103: Public Policy & Criminal Justice

So this leads to a few questions
1. Will TESU accept CJ 107: Criminal Law as meeting their AOJ-310 Criminal Law requirement?
2. If so, would I still need to take an additional UL to make up for Criminal Law being LL?
3. Do I need to take two extra courses so half are UL?
4. If so, could I add UL elective courses that weren't mentioned? (e.g. study.com CJ 306 Research Methods in Criminal Justice.)

To be honest the only thing that really worries me is that they won't accept the LL Criminal Justice course as meeting their UL Criminal Law requirement. That could be a deal breaker.

If they do accept it, but require half of the credits to be UL then that wouldn't be a big deal. It looks like I can do everything at study.com, and I should be able to complete it all it two months. The cost is $200 a month plus $70 per course beyond two courses a month, so if I have to take an extra course or two that would still be a total cost of $610/$680 ($200 x 2 + $70 x 3 or 4) plus the $1250 residency waiver from TESU.

BTW, I noticed that study.com has an Advanced Criminal Law course, but it hasn't been ACE or NCCRS approved yet. Hopefully that happens soon and makes all the above questions moot.

There are 5 required courses, and 1 elective.  Out of those 6 courses, 3 must be UL.  That means that even though you can find LL that meet the requirements, the UL won't come in, leaving you short.  You can't make up the UL requirements with other courses.

This cert is NOT available using Study.com courses only.  You MUST find 2 UL CJ courses that meet 2 of the requirements.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you check the TESU CJ degree page on the wiki, I think that there are suggestions for those courses. I still think it would be easier and probably cheaper at this point to just get a CJ degree from UMPI.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
As I mentioned in Post #3, my suggestion is, it may be better to do a second Bachelors at UMPI for a second BACJ degree, or a CBE for a Masters. In Post #8, I asked about TECEPS and courses at TESU, if you have residency requirements met, then a second BA at TESU is a no brainer as you just need to pay the capstone fee...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I didn't take any TECEPS when I got my degree, and the only course I actually took at TESU was their capstone. Everything else I transferred in. I'll take a look at UMPI.

It is a shame that study.com doesn't offer an UL version of Criminal Law, as it appears this is the only course that is preventing me from using them to meet all the requirements, and accomplishing it all in 2 months. I could wait to see if study.com gets their Advanced Criminal Law course ACE approved as an UL course, or just take the UL Criminal Law course somewhere else (Penn Foster or Prospero?).

Or, I can just take a look at UMPI.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
I would just go with UMPI. It's almost certainly going to be cheaper, easier, and more worthwhile to get a second degree than it would be to bring in credits for a certificate at TESU.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Might as well get a master's degree at Walden, but I would verify with TESU whether you'd truly need 9 UL credits for the CJ certificate. Either way, the master's will be more valuable than a second bachelor's degree in an interdisciplinary field or an undergraduate certificate in an interdisciplinary field. I'm not a fan of adding a non-career-specific bachelor's degree on top of a non-career-specific bachelor's degree, especially when you can become a parole or probation officer with almost any degree. Getting some law enforcement, corrections, or social services experience would be more valuable than getting a second bachelor's in CJ.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Ah, I see, then yeah, if you don't have residency credits, I would skip TESU. My suggestion is the same as Sanantone's, go for the Masters CJ at Walden. If you finish in two terms for $5400, it's cheaper, easier, faster than completing a second Bachelors at TESU due to cost of casptone/residency waiver...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
For someone who is semi-retired and who, presumably, has a tighter budget as a result, spending $5400+ for a Master's degree might not make much sense when you can get a second Bachelor's degree for about half that. Ultimately, you have to do what works best for your situation, though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-10-2021, 01:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For someone who is semi-retired and who, presumably, has a tighter budget as a result, spending $5400+ for a Master's degree might not make much sense when you can get a second Bachelor's degree for about half that. Ultimately, you have to do what works best for your situation, though.

How fast do you expect someone to complete 51 credits at UMPI?

When you don't have experience, you can qualify for many federal government jobs with education. Some of the jobs people might want are not offered at lower grades. Let's look at Dayton, OH.

Bachelor's degree - GS-5 - $36,247

One year of graduate education - GS-7 - $44,900

Two years of graduate education or a master's degree - GS-9 - $54,922.

The OP might be semi-retired, but the jobs of interest are full-time jobs that will bring in extra income on top of whatever retirement benefits are being paid out or will allow one to not touch retirement savings. Spending $5,400 to earn an extra $40k to $60k per year doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 651 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 428 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 430 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 788 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  90 credit limit - dual concentration Kones 6 865 02-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Any Final Things You Did Before You Graduated? LevelUP 7 1,028 03-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Graduated! dodek101 20 1,791 02-17-2022, 01:44 PM
Last Post: dodek101
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 929 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  Graduated tallpilot 8 1,605 01-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What else do I need for Liberal Studies w/ PSY Concentration? amberwalk 4 800 07-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8