Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me plan my degree path?
(03-17-2018, 07:19 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'm thinking this is true too.

Did you get approved for every portfolio that you attempted?

I did. I didn't even have any questions come back from the examiner. However, I have a LOT of experience.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
(03-17-2018, 07:19 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 10:38 PM)davewill Wrote: In general, I would say that the thinner your experience, the more you're going to have to write to convince the examiner that you've covered all the learning objectives.

I'm thinking this is true too.

Did you get approved for every portfolio that you attempted?

I did!

And, never got asked for a single clarification or request for more data IIRC.

So

Here I am about two years later. Almost time for bed, but I got a message from this board and went to help (but really couldn't offer anything constructive).

All my degree has done for me is allowed me to apply for a broader range of jobs in a higher pay band. I think last year I got turned down 45 times, minimum. This year, I've done about 60 applications, had six interviews, not a single jerb erfer. Cry  (in case you are thinking it is me, the last interview I did, they said I was successful, but they needed to wait until their budget came in. A month later, a friend of mine said the Sheriff was asking about me and saying he really wanted me to come onboard as soon as something else got solved. I don't think it's totally my interview style lol)

I haven't been successful in finding funding for a masters, and because I didn't get my last job yet (I only have about 12 years to 62), I don't even know what it needs to be in (could be radio stuff, police stuff, or some thing God lays on me I don't even know yet).

Because I had savings, a relative that left me money, and a job, currently I owe 0.00 in debt / loans related to my degree.

So, I don't believe my journey was a complete dud / waste of money, but I honestly did think if I just got that bachelors, that was going to be what I needed to tip the job market in my favor. For me, and my circumstances, and career field, it has proven to be not so.

In fact, I have applied for better than average pay jobs around here and NOT mentioned anything past high school diploma, for concern they may be biased against 'college boys'.

The degree did not improve my ability to debate, or to research, or to write for money. Well, that's not fair. I *did* learn the 'academic voice', something I struggled with mightily. And, because I work in academia, having a four year degree now allows me to voice an opinion that has weight compared to just having 15 years experience, exceptional depth in vocational training, and a proficient ability to express myself. The two little letters 'BA' makes me visible to admin and faculty types for the first time. (shrugs) it's weird.

I still do not want to move out of my region, which would land me immediate work. I still see a lot of bias against so-called 'online degrees' (except at the Federal and Military level, they know the score because that's what they all do if they don't do the Executive route).

I didn't write this for some time, because I wanted to wait until I had a success story to pin to it as my final chapter. I don't have one; I am still in the same hole I was in when I started this route. I don't feel my brain has healed from having to learn this new language and way of being yet, I don't feel it added any skills or supplanted anything I was already doing (writing books and paid magazine articles, teaching vocational type classes, and being a leader in my field).

But, I have at least one degree now. I am still on 12 hour midnights, and without a course load, I feel... lost and wasting time. I am burnt out on vocational schools.

Anyway - I would not finish a four year degree in two years. It has invited a great deal of skepticism towards the value of the school with people that don't know my background. I would seek something that didn't say 'liberal studies' or 'general studies' - like I was at the beginning, a lot of other people simply do not know what liberal studies means. And, they think general studies are for people like athletes, a placeholder degree. (You're welcome to debate this point- I am simply sharing what C level types have told me).

I'd also have gone for a BSLS instead of a BALS. People want to associate an arts degree with the arts, or some of the other types of degrees that are being currently debated on their merits (gender studies, ethnic studies, that one person who got a doctorate in romantic comedies).

But, I didn't know 2% of what 'degree stuff' entailed, except for I thought I needed one (I still do believe that, and with my state offering free tuition, I now mentor/push/prod a LOT of people into trying it).

I would have NEVER gotten through this process without the dedicated VOLUNTEER PRO BONO efforts of the posters of this board. No doubt. I was going to dedicate a part of my first check of the job my degree got me to here in order to continue the mission here, and I still intend to. One day. If it happens.

I haven't been around much, because, quite frankly, I don't feel I have much to offer in the way of mentoring here. I have some depth in PLA, but since it was one college, and the guy wasnt helpful, and kind of ran me around, and I never got any constructive feedback; I don't really know what other places want.

I have toyed with the idea of PLA credits from other places, but I still don't make enough to task that kind of money to something with little return. If I find some free / cheap grad level PLA opportunities, I might be persuaded to test them out. Dunno, not really looking anymore, just saying I'm not completely closed to it.

At any rate, I truly enjoyed having access to this resource, and I'll leave this thread up so maybe it will drive some keyword searches here by people of my culture who are now where I was.

warmest regards

me
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 583 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 280 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 839 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM